Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-04, 05:32 PM   #1
Gormegil

Question Brand Noob

Greetings everyone. I'm a Linux noob, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on self-teaching. Where should I start? I preempted this query by buying this book for which I no longer know if I have need. It's Red Hat Linux 9 Unleashed by Sam's. I'm not sure if I understand what the hell Red Hat means exactly. I thought I did, and then I saw a place where they sell some kind of professional edition of the software for $750 US or something. I thought it was free...

My end goal is to be completely versed in Linux and network security, so I can do anything I want with them.

I've been teaching myself C++ up to now, in the interest of learning some game programming eventually. If anyone has advice there, please feel quite free to go all the way. Thanks.

Charley
Gormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 07:50 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Redhat is a Linux distro (distribution.) There are many other distros including Suse, Mandrake, Debian etc. Redhat are concentrating on enterprise customers now, but release a "free" version called Fedora. Some places might still sell Redhat 9 Personal. Either download a Linux distro or buy one on CDs. A web search would help here; prices vary. Your Linux book ought to serve you well.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 08:12 PM   #3
Daniel-Son
Linux NooB

Default UNIX for the Impatient

I am a complete Linux NooB and I have been teaching myself Linux as I go. I am working with RedHat 9.0 .

Part of my Uni course I have to leanr about Software Development Tools, and that involves using Linux, although they wanted me to use RedHat 7.3.

The complulsory book for the subject is:

Unix for the Impatient Author: Paul W. Abrahams and Bruce A. Larson
ISBN: 0201419793

This book is exactly as the title suggests - I mean it is working it's way from the basics but for someone who knew NOTHING about Linux, it has been a godsend.

It might not go to the detail about teaching you about Network Security - but it is definately a start.

Daniel-Son
Daniel-Son is offline   Reply With Quote