Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-02, 01:10 PM   #1
robothefan

Question NVNET device not present, delaying activation

I had my MSI nfroce 420 network working good in Mandkrake 8.2, but the sound wasn't up to par and the mouse would not work when I tried going to the log in screen. Now I updated to 9.0 and everything works great except for the network, I installed the point-and-click rpm's for Mandrak 8.2, and when I boot it says "NVNET not present, delaying activation." When I try to run the mandrakeconf wizard it finds it but does nothing. So now i have no network interface, no ability to go online, browse teh network, or anythign kewl. Please tell this low-life newbie something he can do so he can use his kewl nfroce board to the fullest under Mandrake 9.0. Thank you for yout time.
Old 10-01-02, 05:21 PM   #2
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

tried to install the drivers from source? if so, what's the output of "dmesg" when loading it?

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 05:58 PM   #3
Andy Mecham
l33t master

What specific Nforce board do you have? Some board manufacturers, like ASUS, shipped non-Nvidia network cards on their boards. What ethernet card is identified in 'lspci'?

--andy
Old 10-01-02, 06:26 PM   #4
Kenneth

Default Uninstall the existing nforce drivers and reinstall

My MSI K7N420Pro board works fine with Mandrake 9.0.

It easy to make your own 9.0 drivers:

1. Use the "rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0241.src.rpm" command. If you get problems with this command, you probably need to install the kernel-source package.

2. Install the drivers with "rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0241.i586.rpm"

3. Go into the Mandrake Control Center and configure the network (the nvnet adapter should be autodetected).

(Funny enough, I did not need to do step 2...)

/Kenneth
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-02, 09:43 PM   #5
robothefan

Thank you all for your help, I installed teh linux-source RPM and then rebuilt the Src.RPM for the nfroce drivers, now everything is fine and dandy. Thank you again.