Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-01-04, 11:31 PM   #1
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Audigy 2 ZS - wow!

I was feeling a bit impulsive today and I picked up an Audigy 2 ZS. It will be the sound card I use when I eventually replace my NF-7 with an Athlon 64 Socket 939 machine.

I'm amazed at how solid this sound card is. Great sound from my admittedly crappy $50 Creative 2.1 speakers. And my games are benchmarking better. Quake 3 at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8x aniso went from 156 fps w/Soundstorm up to 171 with the Audigy 2.

Great sound card. Props are definitely in order for Creative on this one.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-04, 11:43 PM   #2
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Noes! I want reasons not to order one!
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 12:20 AM   #3
CWB

I know. I wasn't all that impressed with my Audigy vs. my Live, and there was so little difference between the Audigy and Audigy2 that I took the 2 back.

But the ZS...damn! I noticed an immediate quality improvement in both music and games, and all my games seemed alot smoother as well.

I was so impressed I bought some new T5400s to replace my 5300s...
CWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 12:51 AM   #4
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Audigy 2 ZS - wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
I was feeling a bit impulsive today and I picked up an Audigy 2 ZS. It will be the sound card I use when I eventually replace my NF-7 with an Athlon 64 Socket 939 machine.

I'm amazed at how solid this sound card is. Great sound from my admittedly crappy $50 Creative 2.1 speakers. And my games are benchmarking better. Quake 3 at 1280x1024, 4xAA, 8x aniso went from 156 fps w/Soundstorm up to 171 with the Audigy 2.

Great sound card. Props are definitely in order for Creative on this one.
gaming benchmarks would have improved no matter what pci sound card you used v/s soundstorm

no cycles being dedicated to the onboard sound == more work being done on the benchmarks themselves == higher score...

if creative ever gets its drivers in order I might be more inclined to give them kudos... but that seems unlikely to happen...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 02:19 AM   #5
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

The more good testomonials i hear about this thing, the better i feel about having bought it.. besdies the awesome sounbd quality of course
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 08:22 AM   #6
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Default Re: Re: Audigy 2 ZS - wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
gaming benchmarks would have improved no matter what pci sound card you used v/s soundstorm

no cycles being dedicated to the onboard sound == more work being done on the benchmarks themselves == higher score...

if creative ever gets its drivers in order I might be more inclined to give them kudos... but that seems unlikely to happen...
Soundstorm is a hardware sound solution too, Sazar, at least if you make use of the DD5.1 / digital outputs and not the analog outputs. And the Soundstorm has fairly low CPU overhead, unlike most integrated software-based sound setups on other motherboards. (BTW, some PCI sound cards are still really software-based, just like some PCI WinModems are, so they'll use more CPU cycles to process the sounds.)

Anyway, as far as the ZS goes, that's probably the route I'll be taking next upgrade cycle too, especially reading your feedback saturnotaku. Thanks!
Old 02-02-04, 09:33 AM   #7
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Re: Re: Audigy 2 ZS - wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Soundstorm is a hardware sound solution too, Sazar, at least if you make use of the DD5.1 / digital outputs and not the analog outputs. And the Soundstorm has fairly low CPU overhead, unlike most integrated software-based sound setups on other motherboards. (BTW, some PCI sound cards are still really software-based, just like some PCI WinModems are, so they'll use more CPU cycles to process the sounds.)

Anyway, as far as the ZS goes, that's probably the route I'll be taking next upgrade cycle too, especially reading your feedback saturnotaku. Thanks!
snake... it is expected integrated solutions consume more cycles than an addon card... which is shown by saturn's results..

not all sound card solutions will perform like that.. no doubt but I doubt any of the decent ones are going to consume more cycles than an integrated solution (ie tutle beach or other CL options)
Old 02-02-04, 01:19 PM   #8
netviper13
Treehugger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Audigy 2 ZS - wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
snake... it is expected integrated solutions consume more cycles than an addon card... which is shown by saturn's results..

not all sound card solutions will perform like that.. no doubt but I doubt any of the decent ones are going to consume more cycles than an integrated solution (ie tutle beach or other CL options)
If you use the digital out (which makes full use of SoundStorm) CPU usage will not be high. It's when the analog out, and thus the crappy onboard software DAC, are used that you eat up CPU cycles.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-04, 01:52 PM   #9
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

The sound storm has 800m/sec bandwith Vs the 133MB/sec.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 02:15 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

just wish they had decent nforce3 integration

150 is a POS... 250 shoulda been out sooner...
Old 02-02-04, 04:01 PM   #11
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

Quote:
$50 Creative 2.1 speakers.
How long have you had them? Reason I ask is about 18 months or so ago, I nabbed some Creative Inspire 4.1s for $55-60ish at Wal-Mart. Considering the sub in my existing Altec Lansings was blown (too much Yes ), I couldn't pass them up. They sound excellent on my Audigy1 so they probably sound 5x as good on that A2 ZS.

However, Creative recently released updated drivers for the Audigy1 that adds EAX 4.0 support ... and I despize them with a passion. First complaint? All the presets in the Surround Mixer were nerfed - if you use one, no sound whatsoever. I could only get sound by using "Custom" and then I added the "Heavy Metal" Preset EQ via the properties. That brought me to my second complaint - in terms of sound quality with my MP3s, they couldn't hold a candle to my trusty Compaq drivers CD I hacked and burned a while back. The only reason I tried the drivers in the first place was because I was curious about EAX 4 and hoped that it would solve my stuttering sound problems in BF1942 single player (it didn't )
Old 02-02-04, 04:14 PM   #12
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

as I said... creative labs holds teh crown for best hardware with worst driver support... the gap between the 2 is ridiculous...