Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-04, 05:36 PM   #13
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoSy
How long have you had them? Reason I ask is about 18 months or so ago, I nabbed some Creative Inspire 4.1s for $55-60ish at Wal-Mart. Considering the sub in my existing Altec Lansings was blown (too much Yes ), I couldn't pass them up. They sound excellent on my Audigy1 so they probably sound 5x as good on that A2 ZS.

However, Creative recently released updated drivers for the Audigy1 that adds EAX 4.0 support ... and I despize them with a passion. First complaint? All the presets in the Surround Mixer were nerfed - if you use one, no sound whatsoever. I could only get sound by using "Custom" and then I added the "Heavy Metal" Preset EQ via the properties. That brought me to my second complaint - in terms of sound quality with my MP3s, they couldn't hold a candle to my trusty Compaq drivers CD I hacked and burned a while back. The only reason I tried the drivers in the first place was because I was curious about EAX 4 and hoped that it would solve my stuttering sound problems in BF1942 single player (it didn't )
I've only had my speakers for a couple weeks because a bad headphone jack blew out my Altec Lansing speakers. These Creative ones are OK for the price. Nothing special, but I don't need any fancy speakers for my use, especially when I have me Sennheiser headphones.

Anywho, I did notice the advanced and special FX in the control panel are indeed "nerfed." The environment and studio effects work, though. But I don't use 'em so it's not that big a deal to me. But all the graphic equalizer presets work for me. Weird.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-04, 05:48 PM   #14
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

The drivers Creative is currently shipping are worlds better than previous drivers. They finally expose hardware buffers in DirectX, which they never did before.
We can finally manage sound better in software with the hardware exposed the way it is in the newer drivers.

Oh,..the ZS is definately one of the best sound cards I have ever plugged into a computer. You would have to spend upwards to a $600 to get better and it would only be marginally better.
Old 02-02-04, 06:39 PM   #15
The Baron

Skuzzy, with the M-Audio Delta 410 sitting downstairs, I kinda doubt that.. but now I'm curious about the ZS.
Old 02-03-04, 08:45 AM   #16
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

Baron, I know the M-Audio cards well. Check the ZS out. Bang for the buck, it wins, hands down.

EDIT: I have the ZS Platinum (internal). Got spoiled by the Augidy 2 Platinum. Cannot go back to not having that front access panel plus the digital-in fiber connector is worth it for me.
Old 02-03-04, 08:47 AM   #17
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by The Baron
Skuzzy, with the M-Audio Delta 410 sitting downstairs, I kinda doubt that.. but now I'm curious about the ZS.
Maybe he means gaming soundcards

Anyways, I love my Audigy2, drivers are great, Ive never used presets, and RavenShield sounds really nice on this soundcard
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 08:53 AM   #18
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I would never buy an M-Audio card for a gaming rig as that lineup has no DirectSound hardware acceleration. If you thought SoundStorm used up CPU cycles, wait until you see the Revolution in action.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 12:22 PM   #19
sxotty

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
as I said... creative labs holds teh crown for best hardware with worst driver support... the gap between the 2 is ridiculous...
I am sorry, but this was just so funny to me... the best way to put it... but I like my digital encoding and am very sad that I will be screwed on my next upgrade since no one seems to want to have dolby surround...
Old 02-03-04, 02:35 PM   #20
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

hmm, where can one procure a digital audio lead from my audigy 2 to my z680s? i wanna push them all the way
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-04, 03:03 PM   #21
sxotty

sytaylor you realize if you do this you will have stereo sound only correct?

And in that case it will be a downgrade, I am just telling you so you don't waste money, the only digital connection that has surround sound on an audigy card is when it comes from a DVD, or with their proprietary digital connection which only works with their (creatives) speakers. There is only one... that can make digital surround and you know what it is
Old 02-03-04, 03:29 PM   #22
Skuzzy
Bit Bumper

sxotty, the Platinum card has a fiber digital input connection which allows external sources to send Dolby Digital to the card. Just FYI.

It also has a fiber digital output which allows you to connect to an external processor, if you want.

The flexibility of the Platinum card is cool.
Old 02-04-04, 09:18 AM   #23
druga runda
Zeus Gromovnik

How much is this card? 100?
Old 02-04-04, 09:30 AM   #24
sxotty

Quote:
Originally posted by Skuzzy
sxotty, the Platinum card has a fiber digital input connection which allows external sources to send Dolby Digital to the card. Just FYI.

It also has a fiber digital output which allows you to connect to an external processor, if you want.

The flexibility of the Platinum card is cool.
The game theater XP that was like 2 years old has the exact same features, but it is called pass thru so who cares?

The digital output isn't in surround sound, that is all there is to it. My hercules game theater XP had fiber out and it sent a stereo signal unless you were watching a dvd, that is the same way all creative products work, garbage in garbage out, errr... dolby in, dolby out ...

I just did not want anyone to buy a digital cable connection and expect to get surround sound b/c they won't except in rare cases, and if you are going to pass digital signals into the card what is the point? You could just send them straight to a receiver or your speakers, unless you want to record the audio stream of course, which many people are trying to force sound card makers to disable btw...