i eat people

Default Valve Talks About HL2

No HL2 untill summer at least

Read it here.
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 11:39 AM   #2
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Apparently Arx Fatalis devs have licensed the HL2 engine for their game....if u have heard of arx Fatalis

Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 11:47 AM   #3
digitalwanderer

Thanks Poursoul.

On the brightside I finally got to use the emoticon on the frontpage over at Elite Bastards.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 11:50 AM   #4
Malfunction

Default Re: Valve Talks About HL2

Quote:
Originally posted by poursoul
No HL2 untill summer at least

Read it here.
I'm anxious for the release of the game. Not because of the game, graphics or DX9 shaders. I'm interested to see what hacks occur when people play online. I'm just curious to see what the everlasting effects will be because of it (Source being stolen) or if infact it was all a plot to buy more time?

I really can't understand why anyone would still be interested in it if the source was leaked, unless they will be able to create better security for online gaming.

Like I said, I wanna see what happens after it is released. Maybe a month after, I dunno.

Peace.

Last edited by Malfunction; 02-03-04 at 12:04 PM.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 12:31 PM   #5
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

I'm not quite sure I care anymore.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 01:19 PM   #6
poursoul
i eat people

Quote:
Originally posted by stncttr908
I'm not quite sure I care anymore.
with you all the way man, note my lack of emotion.
Old 02-03-04, 01:39 PM   #7
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Maybe they should have just shipped the single player version without a rewrite and released the multiplayer much later...kind of like what Unreal II did. At least that way the people that are only interested in the single player part wouldn't be annoyed by having to wait so long for the multiplayer to be rewritten.
IF the single player version is finished....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 02:18 PM   #8
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Thanks Poursoul.

On the brightside I finally got to use the emoticon on the frontpage over at Elite Bastards.
Elite Bastards has a frontpage ?
Seriously, I never noticed there were that many news on EB frontpage (too lazy to scroll down)... er... that's a lot of news, congratulations.

Back on topic, I really wonder why we keep on talking about HL2... it's not exciting in any way. I mean, we kind of know what it's gonna be like (gameplay, graphics, tech...) so there's not much left to be learnt or to speculate about, and we know the game won't be released before a long long time...
So, HL2 got delayed again... whoa, hot news !
boooooring.

mrsabidji

Old 02-03-04, 02:53 PM   #9
poursoul
i eat people

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Elite Bastards has a frontpage ?
Seriously, I never noticed there were that many news on EB frontpage (too lazy to scroll down)... er... that's a lot of news, congratulations.

Back on topic, I really wonder why we keep on talking about HL2... it's not exciting in any way. I mean, we kind of know what it's gonna be like (gameplay, graphics, tech...) so there's not much left to be learnt or to speculate about, and we know the game won't be released before a long long time...
So, HL2 got delayed again... whoa, hot news !
boooooring.

mrsabidji
That's just it, all the news to report is when it will be released. And there you have it.
Old 02-03-04, 04:43 PM   #10
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wow, people here sure are impatient. So what, a game is delayed and all the sudden you don't care about it anymore? If that's the opinion people took before, then noone would've cared about Half-life 1 when it was released (which was delayed for over a year). I'm just trying to figure out where all the enthusiasm went for this game. I mean, it looks great, it does some amazing things not found in any other FPS, they have a legitimate reason for delaying it more (though I honestly doubt that even without the source code leak that it would've shipped before this month anyway), and yet it's the new Duke Nukem Forever in people's eyes.

And if we "kind of know what it's gonna be like", then why in the hell would ANYONE be interested in Doom 3 when the alpha for it has been out for over a year and a half? Hell, even looking at the newest information and screenshots/movies, it doesn't look like they've changed the basic gameplay from the alpha much (if at all). A few incomplete maps and a collection of a handful of weapons from Half-life 2 is hardly enough to tell what the game is going to be like. Hell, can anyone here even tell me the basic STORY of the game based on the alpha, like who the aliens are or what that mysterious tower is? And besides, isn't this the board that almost always answers people who base their opinions off of alphas that "it shouldn't be used as any indicator of what the final product will be like"? By compairison, we know a lot more about Farcry from the videos/pictures/demo that's been released.

But do you honestly think that hacks will still be a huge issue when the game is realeased? I mean they aren't just taking this time to sit on their butts, they're probably changing as much of the code as they can so they don't have a problem with hacks or anything, not to mention they've already said that the main coding for Steam wasn't leaked (and if it was it sure didn't affect the security in current Steam games), so they still have a very dependable platform to use against hacks in the game...IF they ever get it working right.

I'm trying to figure out why people are singling out Half-life 2 when every other big game that was supposed to be released last year was delayed into this year (Doom 3, Stalker, Farcry, hell even Halo 2). If you're going to ignore a game because it was delayed, there isn't much to look forward to.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 06:25 PM   #11
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
I'm trying to figure out why people are singling out Half-life 2 when every other big game that was supposed to be released last year was delayed into this year (Doom 3, Stalker, Farcry, hell even Halo 2). If you're going to ignore a game because it was delayed, there isn't much to look forward to.
Simple - because Valve was promising through hell and high water to get the game out on Sept. 30. There were no such promises from any of the other games (except maybe Halo 2, but it's extremely unlikely that it will see the light of day on the PC). At least with Far Cry, though the full game won't be out for another six weeks, we have a fully playable demo. If there was an HL2 SP demo out now, I guarantee you more people would be excited about it. But since the whole hacking controversy we've basically heard jack and as a result we've moved on to more exciting things (Far Cry).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-04, 06:55 PM   #12
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Wow, people here sure are impatient. So what, a game is delayed and all the sudden you don't care about it anymore? If that's the opinion people took before, then noone would've cared about Half-life 1 when it was released (which was delayed for over a year). I'm just trying to figure out where all the enthusiasm went for this game. I mean, it looks great, it does some amazing things not found in any other FPS, they have a legitimate reason for delaying it more (though I honestly doubt that even without the source code leak that it would've shipped before this month anyway), and yet it's the new Duke Nukem Forever in people's eyes.
When the developers keep quiet for so long, then proudly(arrogantly?) announce that it will ship on a certain day in a certain month, then miss that date and don't say anything people have a right to be pissed. No word on how close they are to completing the game, what still needs to be worked on, or when the game will be released. Not only that, but right up till September 30 we had assurances that the game would be on time. It obviously didn't go gold at any time during September, so it was pretty obvious the date would be missed.

To this day, we still don't know how finished the game was/is. Is Valve just rewriting parts of the game because of the source leak? Or were they never finished to begin with?

Eventually the party line from Valve became "the benchmark will be here on Sept30" and where did it go? No explanations about the lateness of the benchmark or the game. I guess they expect everyone to take for granted that because they got hacked the game will be delayed indefinitely and without reason or excuse. Does it really take over 7 months to re-secure the code? At this time all we know is that the game has will be delayed till May or beyond(7+ months). Not to mention all the talk about how the vaunted AI is really just scripted sequences.

I don't know when work on HL2 started, but HL1 is 5+ years old already. Where is Team Fortress2? Where is Condition Zero? Condition Zero went gold in October and it still is NOWHERE to be found. Didn't Valve say in October that the game would be available in mid November? I have never heard of a game going "gold" and still not being available almost 4 months later. What a perennial joke.

I'll probably still buy HL2 when/if it ever comes out, but there are other things to look forward to this year.