Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-04, 07:40 AM   #13
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Well, i'm getting pretty disgusted with delays. Most new games get delayed at least once nowadays. I don't see why gamers should be that forgiving all the time. But since, we're talking about HL2, Valve/Vivendi promised a solid date and kept it until suspiciously late, when Sep 30th was looming, before they announced its delay (increased hype or pre-orders perhaps?) It's been quite some time, but the game keeps getting delayed.

After all these months, now i too doubt that the game would be ready at the promised date. The fact that Valve got a lucrative deal with ATI and all of a sudden every HL2 preview had a "HL2 preview powered by the new ATI..." and stuff like that, plus the vouchers, didn't help the situation. I say, with a clever marketing stunt, it is possible to create a good amount of hype on the market and preserve it. But the really hard thing is to earn the customers respect and (even harder) to maintain it. And Valve/Vivendi/ATI certainly lost a ****load of respect from my side.

Broadly speaking, i think publishers should be a lot more responsible on the dates they announce. And since they can't say an estimated date or release without asking the development studio first, the devs shouldn't commit themselves to certain dates that cannot be met. Having that in mind, i respect a lot more the "when its done" joke, than the "September 30th, guaranteed" one.

Personally, after this i'll definately wait a few months (years?) until the games initial price drops, then i'll consider buying it. Sounds hard to do? I don't give a damn, i'm fed up with their lies, i'll stick to it.

And Edge, it's not about being impatient (gamers), it's all about being responsible and frank (devs)...
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 08:50 AM   #14
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by mrsabidji
Elite Bastards has a frontpage ?
That's my line! I think we may have a copyright infringement problem here...

Quote:
Seriously, I never noticed there were that many news on EB frontpage (too lazy to scroll down)... er... that's a lot of news, congratulations.
Yeah, I blame Hanners. Ever since he got news posting privelages he's been a pain-in-the-ass to keep up with, he's ALWAYS beating me with stories! (But it's kind of fun to race him like that, it keeps it fresh & fast. ) I still can't believe I have unlimited posting privelages on the frontpage there, I'm just waiting for the day I abuse it.

Edge-It's not about gamers being impatient, it's about Valve lying to 'em about the release date and jerking them around so much. That just ain't cool. This is turning into a "Romano is going to make you his bitch!" type of PR with a release date. :roll:
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:04 AM   #15
Vash
Angel Arms

Valve messed up, yes. Did they do it on purpose, to spite every single gamer on the face of the planet?

No. But a lot of people are acting like they did.

I'm excited about the game, but in a very laid-back sorta way. Once it goes gold, then I'm gonna be excited. It just really ticks me off when people go about saying how much they don't care, how much the game's gonna suck, how much Valve sucks, when their tune is going to do an about face the day the game's released.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:24 AM   #16
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
Valve messed up, yes. Did they do it on purpose, to spite every single gamer on the face of the planet?

No. But a lot of people are acting like they did.
We don't know if they messed up, if they did how or why, nor their reasons...that's a big part of the problem and the main reason for so much animosity against them right now.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 04:42 PM   #17
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
We don't know if they messed up, if they did how or why, nor their reasons...that's a big part of the problem and the main reason for so much animosity against them right now.
That's true... I should amend my statement to say, "Did they? Probably not." I can't honestly see any company purposefully doing something like this to their customers, but anything can happen. I'd like to hear more from Valve about the whole thing, but they've been quiet - which I can respect.

But then, if it's a marketing and planning screw up, wouldn't it be a good idea to just shut the marketing guys up for a while and finish the game?

I don't know - I just don't have the energy for anything concerning this game, and I won't until the gold announcement is confirmed.
Old 02-04-04, 05:22 PM   #18
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i'm terribly disappointed in valve and halflife in general.

i downloaded the version (i know, forgive me father, for i have sinned), and i could tell from playing it that it was FAR from finished. would the hacker have given out old source code? i think not. if it was only some technical development source code and not the full thing like they claim, then why are they delaying the release because of it?

valve has left a lot of unanswered questions to me.... they are using the hacker as a crutch, god only knows what would have happened had they not been hacked... they would have had to of found another excuse.

i never thought about it by the way, i guess it is a possibility that they staged the whole thing.

oh well... personally, i will not be buying halflife2
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 09:05 PM   #19
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
This is turning into a "Romano is going to make you his bitch!" type of PR with a release date. :roll:
That's Mr. John Romero And any poor sap who actually bought that horrible excuse for a game certainly was Romero's bitch!!!!!!!!!!11111
Old 02-04-04, 10:05 PM   #20
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
That's Mr. John Romero And any poor sap who actually bought that horrible excuse for a game certainly was Romero's bitch!!!!!!!!!!11111
LOL! Got that riot.

btw, earlier you echoed my sentiments completely I'll definitely pick it up once/if its released but theres plenty of other titles that we know will be released soon to look fwd too.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-04, 05:13 AM   #21
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

From a story on IGN:

Quote:
Very little news is better than no news at all, and PC gamers will be clinging to a small tidbit reported today in a CNN Money article: Valve has claimed that they are "currently targeting this summer for the completion of Half-Life 2."

Nothing more was reported about the game's release beyond this. However, it's the most information that has appeared since October's news of the Half-Life 2 code theft, which almost certainly delayed the game's release significantly. Since then, Valve has been deafeningly silent about their hugely anticipated sequel.

Since it made its surprise appearance at E3 2003, Valve's follow-up to the universally acclaimed Half-Life has become the title that PC gamers are waiting for. Valve's originally announced release date of September 30, 2003 seemed too good to be true, and indeed, the date came and went as hype and speculation about the game reached a zenith.

Amidst news of leaked game code and release delays of unspecified length, gamers have been left to pure speculation as to Half-Life 2 details and its future. Of course, the details left out of today's announcement are likely to trigger plenty of fresh speculation, rumors, and conspiracy theories.

Perhaps the safest speculation now is that, assuming Valve keeps its summer 2004 completion goal, we should at last be reunited with Gordon Freeman by autumn of this year. That, at least, is something to look forward to.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 06:18 AM   #22
madmartyau
NV 100

By the time it(HL2) comes out I will have spent my money on about half a dozen other games that will probably be better anyway.
Old 02-05-04, 07:50 AM   #23
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

From the Inquirer

Quote:
The piece suggests the delay in delivering game has been due to well-publicised theft of game's source code. Does that mean that when the code was nicked, it wasn't just copied, it was totally nicked, so that Valve had to start again from scratch? Hmm.
Valve are full of crap. Why can't they just admit that the game was nowhere near finished on the release date. Infact it was only 10% done. I doubt they can do the other 90% of this game by this summer either.

I am Jack's total loss of respect for Valve.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 08:10 AM   #24
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
I will have you knoe that Teh Remaro is stil awesome he is making games for the Nokia N-Gage and they are the best! I don't haev mine any more becuse Jerry saw a frog and ran aruond and sat on it becuase he is fat.

[/JeffK]