Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-04, 03:24 PM   #1
hprotheroe

Default Display update kernel problem

Hello.

I installed redhat9 2.4.20-6 and then installed the driver for the pny/nvidia quadro fx500 and everything seemed to be working - i had a display at least.

I then ran the RH update and it updated my kernel to 2.4.20-28.9 and now startx will not work on either kernel.

The error it gives is :
(EE)NVIDIA(0) : Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module
(EE)NVIDIA(0) : ***ABORT***
(EE) Screen(s) found but none have a usable configuration
Fatal server error
-no screens found.

Attached is my XF86Config file and i also have the Xfree86.0.log file.

Can anybody help. Short of re-installing the whole shebang i am not sure what to do. Does anybody know of actual support. I posted something recently and got no replies.

I have tried re-installing the drivers into the new kernel and get all sorts of error where it tries to find one at RH, tries to compile itself.

Running a philips 21" 201B40 and the current configuration is 400 300 which looks wrong on the original kernel startx command.

Please help

Thanks in advance
Howard
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (3.1 KB, 155 views)
hprotheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-04, 05:40 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

The nvidia kernel module has to be rebuilt for every kernel upgrade. For such a rebuild kernel sources/includes must be installed and match your running kernel.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-04, 03:25 AM   #3
hprotheroe

Thankyou for your reply.

Do you have any advice on how to do that?

Thanks

Howard
Old 02-05-04, 10:17 AM   #4
hprotheroe

I have managed to get my system running using 'nv' instead of NVIDIA. I then tried to re-install the drivers and am still getting kernel problems. Can anybody help.

It is telling me to use the --kernel-source-path but I don't have a clue how to.

- Also when you actually get in to the system is there some sort of NVIDIA gui device to update resolutions, use dual head etc? Mattrox had one so i am asuming NVIDIA do?

If not how do i work out what DPI is for what resolution. I am currently running at 1280x1024 but want to crank it up a bit - 1600x1200 at 90 Hz

My X86Config file is attached above - without the correction.

Any help is much appreciated.
Howard
Old 02-05-04, 04:55 PM   #5
whig
550Ti

To compile the nvidia kernel module install and unpack the kernel source which matches your currently running kernel. The package is about 30MB, expanding to much more. Your kernel upgrade probably causes a mismatch here. The way out is to roll your own kernel - I'm not sure if you're comfortable doing that.

I don't know about dual displays / DPI stuff.
Old 02-05-04, 07:33 PM   #6
hprotheroe

To compile the nvidia kernel module install and unpack the kernel source which matches your currently running kernel. The package is about 30MB, expanding to much more.

HP:where do i find this and how do i do it?

Your kernel upgrade probably causes a mismatch here. The way out is to roll your own kernel - I'm not sure if you're comfortable doing that.

I am comfortable trying if you can give me some step by step direction?

Please help.. i have some stuff going on soon and i need this working.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about dual displays / DPI stuff.
HP : I will try and work out this stuff

thanks
Howard
Old 02-05-04, 10:12 PM   #7
whig
550Ti

The fastest way forward is to see if Red Hat provide the 2.4.20-28.9 source package. The base source you probably have - on one of the CDs as a rpm package. Red Hat has a gui installer for locating on which CD it is and placing it on your hdd. Look online for the -28.9 update and patch it accordingly, there is a Documentation directory in the Linux source tree - handy. Hopefully you won't have to go through a kernel compile; it does take more than a day to learn. Running the nvidia installer at this point just might work. If it doesn't you may have to point it at the kernel source tree - there is the -A option to bring up help. Good luck.