Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-04, 12:24 PM   #1
myrna

Default A7N266 locking up tight with any Linux

Using a new Asus A7N266 mb with nvidia chipset and can not get any video, etc.

Wanted to run Arklinux but after spending three days trying to get that to work, am now trying Mandrake 9.2.

Tried to use the nvidia nforce drivers, both rpm and gzip. Got the driver to install but computer locks tight right after KDE is loaded 100%.

Then tried the latest graphics driver and get the same results. With Arklinux it would boot in just fine but lock when I started X. With Mandrake 9.2 I must interactive boot and not start the APM daemon or it locks at that point.

Installed an old TNT2 card my son had discarded and got it to work just fine in Arklinux but it locks every time in Mandrake 9.2.

I have obtained the kernel source for both linuxes and the versions match when I do an rpm -qa | grep kernel

I installed Microsoft Windows XP and the drivers that came with the mb and everything worked great so the mb appears to be ok.

I have attached a zip with the nvidia-install log, the XFree86.log and the XF86Config-4 file.

I don't know what to try next!

More info: Tried Mandrake 9.1 and it would lock the computer at Module dependencies even in safe mode. Tried Fedora Core 1 and got the same results as Redhat 9, it locked the computer at Checking for new hardware.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (8.3 KB, 119 views)
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-04, 09:10 PM   #2
serialdave
seldom posts

I don't have the same motherboard - I have a nforce 2

BUT I used the sourcerpm file from nvidia and compiled it per the instructions in the readme. First I downloaded the correct kernel source rpm for mandrake 9.2 and installed it. Then the NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0261.src.rpm.

After that was going I used the latest driver file from nvidia for the geforce 2 that I have.

That set of drivers should work fine for the built on video for your system too.

That file also requires that the kernel source rpm be installed.

Don't know if that will help but I didn't see where you mentioned you tried the source.rpm.

And I never could get my tnt or tnt2 to work before either.
Old 02-12-04, 11:20 PM   #3
myrna

Default Thanks SerialDave

I may not have mentioned it but I have tried both the source rpm and the gziped source many times with both Mandrake 9.2 and Arklinux.

I have loaded different distros of Linux on many makes of MB's none of which were nvidia and have never had this type of problem. Were you able to run X before you installed the drivers?

I can't even run X as vesa in Mandrake 9.2. It starts but locks as soon as KDE is loaded. The splash screen never goes away.

I have nothing plugged into the MB save the graphics card which will only work in Arklinux.

Any ideas?
Old 02-12-04, 11:47 PM   #4
serialdave
seldom posts

>Were you able to run X before you installed the drivers?

Yes, I have tried Mandrake and Redhat on several nforce systems at home and at work. They all booted and X would load - usaually KDE. The onboard geforce 4 mx was recognized but no 3D hardware support came with the default drivers. Sound and nic would be out. Usually at work i have used micro atx boads with the built on video - several different brands-Soltek and other lower priced boards.

The only way I have gotten the drivers to work was on Mandrake 9.1 with the 9.1 rpm file or in 9.2 with the source rpm and the kernel source installed.

Once the nforce drivers installed then nic and sound would function. With that working the latest Nvidia drivers have been installing fine for me. Quake 3 army ops and more run great.
Old 02-13-04, 10:22 AM   #5
myrna

Default Thanks for replying SerialDave

When you say several nforce systems, I assume you mean nforce2 systems?

I have tried Redhad 9.0 and Fedora core 1 and neither would even start Linux. They both locked tight at checking for new hardware.

I think I am going to try Suse 9.0 next.

Thanks again.