Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-04, 09:10 PM   #121
Mandarb1

You can also talk in game. Its pretty cool. VoIP is awesome
Mandarb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 09:15 PM   #122
anzak

I've been playing for about 3 hours and my favorite new game type is the onslaught, it adds new depth to this old skool deathmatch game (as does Assault). If only the game ran faster on my notebook Oh well, all of the more reason to buy a new computer :P
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 09:44 PM   #123
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

running just peachy @ 16x12 with max details

onslaught is so much fun

love doing tricks with the big humvee thinger...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 09:46 PM   #124
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Got it downloaded, not going to install tonight, though. Have some other major issues to work out first.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 09:59 PM   #125
Clay

My $0.02...
  • Gameplay is a bit slower and more deliberate which I like. UT2K3 always seemed a bit frenetic and just a tad bit too fast.
  • Some earlier posts asked how you confgure your key commands, it's there and you don't need to edit any INI files (at least I didn't).
  • You can change the size of your weapon (small or normal sized).
  • The vehicles are pretty sweet, will take some getting used to but definitely interesting...kinda fun to mow people down in the Hummer type rides.
  • Some nice touches with really nice looking drapes that wave in wind, water is definitely not shaded though so it's just "eh" looking.
  • It's almost like the game was designed with AF testing in mind. Some very excellent patterns on walls and floor/ground to do IQ tests with.
  • Seems to be pretty well polished for a demo.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 10:08 PM   #126
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Talking

Quote:
I remember back in the day when a large demo was 7 meg, lol.
Lemme guess ... damn Voodoo3 drivers?

Ahh, here we go. What does Bit Drizzle have for me with this download attempt? I've had it running for almost 24 hours now trying to snag 1.2 Gigs of files at the lovely speed of 8KBs a second. Woke up at noon and had 20% of the damn thing after 8 hours of sleep. Oh, it utilizes my bandwidth of 2Mb/256kb effectively, allright ... *snore*

Hmmm ... welp, I clicked on the Torrent for UT2k4 about 10 minutes ago. Yay, I'm getting 20KBs a second! Now this is a filesharing program Ronald Reagan would love! Totally trickle-down oriented! I can just see him now on the PC ... WHOA just jumped to 100KBs ... can you give me 150? C'mon ... No, no not 80KBs! Higher! HIGHER! Show me you've got a pair! Lemme see if there's any "Card Sharks" reruns in your blood ... YES! I hit 150! Can we see 200?!? Going once ... twice .... OH YOU ROTTEN BASTARD! It just choked down to 0.02 KBs ...

Looks like I'll get to play this the same day Duke Nukem Forever comes out.

Wait ... wtf?!?

Dude, my 1.2 gig file download (which has been choked since about 2PM) just give me a 45KB a second spike for about 3 seconds, then choked out again. Sounds like there's queue jumping hax going on that I know noting about!
Old 02-11-04, 10:39 PM   #127
MadPt

Downloading it now at 64kb/s with cable, no problems!
I love UT games, altough they're not my favorite online games, they're always cool to watch and great fun to play, especially online!

Going to check Secret Weapons over Normandy now and check UT2k4 after it finishes downloading.

So, what do you think about the new new demo? Is it cool with new IQ goodies or more of the same?
I hope it's worth it, the old ones did.
MadPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 10:47 PM   #128
Clay

To borrow an old, tired cliche...it's "evolutionary" but not "revolutionary" regarding IQ and bling bling. That's not a dissapointment though as I'm sure most anyone with a clue knew not to expect a game jam packed with DX9 goodness.

However, on the gameplay front my opinion is that it is a substantial improvement in both variety and polish over UT2K3. It's sure worth checking out.

Old 02-11-04, 11:00 PM   #129
MadPt

Thanks, i will check it out... 75% downloaded. ; )
I agree with you, i didn't really expect it to be a huge improvement, but i do hope it uses some new DX9 features to use with ATi's R3xx and GF FX new cards.

Obviously, i agree the the game must be mainly made for Geforce2/3&Radeon7500/8500 and above, so the wait for some of these features will only end when HL2 and Doom3 and alikes arrive.
( and even then... )
Good to hear that playability has improved, that's always nice to hear!
MadPt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 11:04 PM   #130
netviper13
Treehugger

Psy go grab it from the nVidia server; I pulled 99k/s off it a couple hours ago.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-04, 11:09 PM   #131
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Just downloaded and I must say.. looks pretty nice to me. Graphics are.. well.. the same.. but thats not a dissappointment, they were good to begin with.

Sad part is the highest graphics the demo allows is normal, kind of sucky, guess its better than downloading 500mb... or maybe not Control seems alot smoother and more responsive to me for some reason. And some of the weapons have neat new effects.

Overall, so far so good, I will be picking this one up when it's released.
Old 02-11-04, 11:13 PM   #132
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by MadPt
Thanks, i will check it out... 75% downloaded. ; )
I agree with you, i didn't really expect it to be a huge improvement, but i do hope it uses some new DX9 features to use with ATi's R3xx and GF FX new cards.
Not so sure that it will have any DX9 support or not. I haven't dug around for details on this yet. Someone made earlier post in this thread with screenshot showing DX8.1 usage only. But another post found some reference to DX9...if it's going to take up 6CDs or 2DVDs...then there's sure gotta be some room for at least some crazy texture quality options if nothing else though.