Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-04, 02:04 PM   #13
poursoul
i eat people

Quote:
Originally posted by stncttr908
What the hell are you talking about? I'm merely commenting on the fact that releasing a demo across a torrent isn't the best way to get it distributed, that's all.

Seriously, what is your problem.
WHOAH there partner, i've been told that i have no sarcastic tone.... but come on, i don't see how you took that seriously.

you under a lot of pressure lately?

guess i should have added a : \
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 02:22 PM   #14
Malfunction

I dunno why anyone is complaining about it anyways. BT will be faster and the likes of GS and FS will get it just as easily for the others who don't have the ability to access BT.

I swear, I think people complain just to pass the time...lol.

The only draw back (Like there is one), is that those who have access to BT will get it slightly faster. Those who can't access BT should see increased bandwidth on GS and FS since the others who can access BT will be there.

Win/Win I think... but lets just bitch about it instead.. huff!

Peace,

Last edited by Malfunction; 02-07-04 at 04:48 PM.
Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:09 PM   #15
demonized
R420

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor04
I must say that I too am a little ticked off about it being released primarily through BT. Not everyone has access to BT easily and in these cases a direct download is much much easier. In my case BT has been lumped in with P2P sharing on the PacketShaper. Basically you can't even use BT as the speeds you get are next to none (we're talking 1-2 k/s if that). I am hoping that someone off campus will grab it quickly and throw it on the campus DC hub though (Nothing like 5-6MB/s transfers from across campus). If this doesn't happen though I will be penalized speed wise because of their decision. Guess I will just have to hope and pray that I can get my hands on it through alternative channels.

Thats the speed you get when your using a router or a firewall and have ports 6881-6991 blocked. That's also the case if whatever your downloading has been released a long time ago, and there's not much sources. BT is great for spreading files quickly.
2GB OCZ PC3200 EL platinum.
ATI X800XL
SB Audigy gamer
NEC 2500a 8x8x32
Liteon 52x24x52
demonized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 03:15 PM   #16
Razor04

Quote:
Originally posted by demonized
Thats the speed you get when your using a router or a firewall and have ports 6881-6991 blocked. That's also the case if whatever your downloading has been released a long time ago, and there's not much sources. BT is great for spreading files quickly.
You also get that when you are packetshaped. I agree that BT is great, but not everyone can use it. I think they aren't going to reach one of their target audiences because of this decision. A lot of colleges have either blocked the ports completely or packetshaped it to hell and I would imagine college students are right in the middle of one of the age ranges they are targetting.

For those of us in this situation their is nothing we can really do except hope that it pops up elsewhere or ask for people that aren't on campus to help. On my campus specifically the total bandwidth allotted for all P2P programs is 512kbit on a T3. When you add in the fact that other students are sharing that tiny little pipe too it becomes useless...which is the whole intent of packetshaping.
Razor04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 04:43 PM   #17
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor04
For those of us in this situation their is nothing we can really do except hope that it pops up elsewhere or ask for people that aren't on campus to help. On my campus specifically the total bandwidth allotted for all P2P programs is 512kbit on a T3. When you add in the fact that other students are sharing that tiny little pipe too it becomes useless...which is the whole intent of packetshaping.
Heh. I remember those days. All was fixed when I moved out of the dorms. Heck, it was even cheaper. Besides, you realize you're just whining about an hour or two you're not going to be able to play? Come on.
Old 02-07-04, 09:56 PM   #18
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Quote:
Originally posted by poursoul
WHOAH there partner, i've been told that i have no sarcastic tone.... but come on, i don't see how you took that seriously.

you under a lot of pressure lately?

guess i should have added a : \
Yes! Emoticons make Internet Message Boards workable!

Sorry, my day hadn't been going too well at that point.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 01:07 AM   #19
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Once upon a time, Fileplanet was actually decent for downloading. Now it just blows.
Ya, LOL back when MPlayer err I mean MLagger was still up and running. Now I avoid FilePlanet like the plague. I miss the days when FilePlanet wasn't well known. Now they are the friggin' M$ for files. BOOOOO BOOOOO HSSSSSS HSSSSSSSSS
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 10:58 AM   #20
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Quote:
Originally posted by UDawg
Ya, LOL back when MPlayer err I mean MLagger was still up and running. Now I avoid FilePlanet like the plague. I miss the days when FilePlanet wasn't well known. Now they are the friggin' M$ for files. BOOOOO BOOOOO HSSSSSS HSSSSSSSSS
It's amazing that they even keep a user base. I go to www.3dgamers.com to get the filenames for something I'm looking for, and then just hop over to www.filemirrors.com and get it elsewhere.

Basically, anyone that knows this would avoid Fileplanet entirely.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-04, 11:06 AM   #21
digitalwanderer

I dunno, I really like Bit Torrents myself. When something new comes out that's big I always seem to get great download speeds off it using Shareaza.

I've got downloads that have taken me weeks too hunting down some obscure older TV shows and such, but the new stuff usually goes quick like a bunny for me.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 11:36 AM   #22
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Actually I still use fileplanet simply because it works for what I need it for. The waiting lines are annoying, but once I get the link all I have to do is copy it into Getright and I never have to worry about it again. And I've had some bad experiences with some other sites, for some reason some webmasters think it's cool to disable download resuming, which really sucks on a 56k with a file that's...well...ANY size, really.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 11:39 AM   #23
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by stncttr908
It's amazing that they even keep a user base. I go to www.3dgamers.com to get the filenames for something I'm looking for, and then just hop over to www.filemirrors.com and get it elsewhere.

Basically, anyone that knows this would avoid Fileplanet entirely.
Yeah that is usually what I do also but 3dgamers is now getting hit hard also because they link to filefront and every one is going there now. I guess we will just have to learn more patients. LOL it is funny when you think about it. We had to be patient when DLing with 56k then when DSL came out we were all happy for a while. Now because of file sizes and the amount of people using broadband now. LOL we are back at 56k patients. Talk about running to stand still.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-04, 11:57 AM   #24
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by UDawg
We had to be patient when DLing with 56k then when DSL came out we were all happy for a while. Now because of file sizes and the amount of people using broadband now. LOL we are back at 56k patients. Talk about running to stand still.
Except for me, I've got the worst of both worlds at 56k speed AND large file sizes
Man, downloading a demo in only a few hours...it must be heaven...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote