Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-04, 11:41 PM   #13
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by theultimo
Nothing will EVER replace a pc. No console has a wasd type control the FPS's are made for
Actually Dreamcast had an optional mouse/keyboard addon/adaptor, and quite a few people used it for FPS games (like Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament). But the problem with that is that it creates a gap between players that are using different control methods. That has been Microsoft's main reason for not releasing a keyboard/mouse adaptor for the Xbox to use in online games (they did release a USB keyboard adaptor to type messages in PSO, however).

Quote:
Whats more, it looks like xbox2 may only be supporting 480i.. this will allow the tech to run top-of-the-line games for years to come, but that is a major drawback from what we can do with PC. I hope they end up going for 720p or something, that would be decent, but i can see why they don't, their tech will struggle to run games at such a res while keeping all the effects +AA +AF after about a year.
Really? That's exactly the opposite of what I heard, in fact there was a rumor that Xbox 2 would REQUIRE an HDTV an only support HDTV modes (480p and up), though that rumor was proven false I believe. Here's a quote from Gamespot:

Quote:
A graphics chip designed by ATI Technologies that will clock in with speeds faster than the upcoming R400. The Merc says, "This chip will help the next Xbox to display games with the resolution of high-definition TV."
If this is true, it would take away yet another advantage that the PC has had over consoles. Unfortunatly, they're considering removing the harddrive for the Xbox 2, which I think would be really stupid as the harddrive is used very well in the current Xbox. Also, while PCs have much mroe open-ended mods and addons, one advantage Xbox Live has regarding addons is that you don't have to worry about people not having the extra level or gamemode that you want to play because it's all freely availible and easilly accessable by all Live users. In addition things like voice-chat in every game actually one-ups the PC. Granted, it's more limited in many ways (such as user-made content and player limit), but it's foolish to think that PCs have the advantage in EVERY area.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 11:54 PM   #14
Razor04

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Really? That's exactly the opposite of what I heard, in fact there was a rumor that Xbox 2 would REQUIRE an HDTV an only support HDTV modes (480p and up), though that rumor was proven false I believe.
HDTV is 1280x720P or 1920x1080i. Lower resolutions can be called either EDTV or SDTV. Basically fancy names for a TV that can do progressive scan. Those modes only allow DVD or lower resolution though. To roughly translate it is like going from 640x480 to 800x600 to 1280x960 in computer monitor terms. Granted each is a step forward but come on...800x600 blows without AA and 640x480? Who are we kidding...it sucks.

I honestly don't know how people can look at some of the graphics on consoles and say they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Almost all have low textures with tons of jaggies and lots of shiny things to catch your attention. I don't know I just much prefer the PC for what it can do. Consoles have a ways to go before they can take over. Personally I think we will end up with some sort of hybrid that allows a relatively fixed architecture but allows for some configuration changes (such as resolution and all).
Razor04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 12:54 AM   #15
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Well as much as I hate to admit it... this past year has been the worst year I have seen for PCGaming... only a few memorable games. Past years.. there were plenty.

Hopefully next year things pick up with all the new engines and stuff...
Old 02-08-04, 02:16 AM   #16
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

five reason why PC Gaming will stick around

1) W key
2) A key
3) S key
4) D key
5) Mouse

hehhe, well for FPS games

Controlling FPS thru gamepads is a bit.....naff!

RTS? no way you can play RTS with gamepad, sure u may add add on keyboard and mouse to consoles but that defeats the purpose of lounging on a sofa for consoles.

Flight Sims (hard core i mean) So many functions to map unto gamepads..(hardcore flight sims)

Serious tweakage, on PC platform to get optimum graphics or performance.

Innovative graphics with upcoming GPUs!

Sure it costs 500% more than consoles but well i am a hardcore PC gamer, and I am addicted to adding new pieces of PC components. Mixing and matching is also one of the greatest benefits of PC gamers to suit their needs. Easier on the wallet than collecting/modding cars, antiques or whatever.

I got bored with the PS2 which is in the hands of my younger brother by 15 yrs. The graphics quality is not upto par with latest PC hardware. There is also the ability to do other stuff than just play games Like browsing and participitating in forums like this one etc

ack...i just got up
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case

Last edited by MUYA; 02-08-04 at 05:58 AM.
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 03:14 AM   #17
Viral
Registered User of Women

That's another thing about consoles.. the options you have, very few in games. I mean things like settings.. sure for a sixed hardware platform this is basically the only way it can be done, but i don't always like that. O hope in the future that consoles at least offer an advanced settings menu with warnings that performance will likely be unoptimised. Perhaps we can choose a higher res or enable AA, but turn down the quality of textures (probably not a wise move on consoles ) or draw distances or something.

Anyway, i'm going to try and fight to keep PC gaming alive as it what i like most. Consoles have been good to me too, but mainly for either for afew quick 2 player games or SP story/RPG games that just work well with a TV, gamepad and couch. Also i usually prefer racing games on consoles.. i cbf setting up a wheel on my PC and they usually suck in some way so i'd rather play with a gamepad (analogue sticks) anyway. Fighters.. yes, consoles.

So basically i like PC's for FPS, RTS without a doubt (though FPS are becoming better on consoles), and some RPG's. Anything online also at this point in time. Other genres, 3rd person action/adventure seem to be a thing fairly suited to consoles, but work on PC well.. still, i usually buy the console versions as i never get into them on PC and just don't play them as much. Same goes for RPG's, for some i like consoles(usually fairly cinematic ones like FF) just because they work with a TV/couch scenerio, other RPG's i like on PC better.Fighters and racing games are definate console games, but some do work on PC.. i just havent seen enough good ones that aren't hybrids (3rd person action/fighter, 3rd person action/racing/whatever).

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 03:28 AM   #18
MUYA

Quote:
Originally posted by Viral
Fighters and racing games are definate console games, but some do work on PC.. i just havent seen enough good ones that aren't hybrids (3rd person action/fighter, 3rd person action/racing/whatever).
I beg to differ I like Racing games more on PC, just because they have better AF capabilities on modern GPUs. PC racing games like f1 challenge 99-02 are much better graphically than the consle version IMHO. I also like the fact that you can use AA as well as AF No texture shimmering/aliasing etc on PCs

The GTR 2002 mod was awesome for f1 2002, looked IMO better than console GT games...like GTA3..more advanced physics etc
Corsair 600T Case

Last edited by MUYA; 02-08-04 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-08-04, 05:48 AM   #19
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

It's always the console fanboys that bring this tired old topic up, again, again, again, again........................blablabla de blab debla.

We will all be here, argueing the same tired old crap, in a few years time, and guess what ? The PC will still be here. Unless you fanboys think MS are suddenly going to give up on their biggest asset ?
Longhorn, DX10, ATI, NVidia, and all the hardware manifacturers out there, keep it going along nicely.

And I find it hard to believe that a bunch of morons believe a bunch of THE most OTT specs I've ever seen ,all posted by a bunch of spotty Teen Interweb Geeks, with way too time on their hands.

You console fanboys can keep your Fifa 2007's, your "The same as every other Beat 'em up 7", Mario does the dishes, Mario Hoovering Sim, Mario does something again, somewhere, "Oooo look at the pretty driving sim with no gameplay", The list goes on, it's just big men in big suits, making tons of cash off of suckers.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 07:02 AM   #20
DrFx

Quote:
Originally posted by D.K.Tronics
It's always the console fanboys that bring this tired old topic up, again, again, again, again........................blablabla de blab debla.

We will all be here, argueing the same tired old crap, in a few years time, and guess what ? The PC will still be here. Unless you fanboys think MS are suddenly going to give up on their biggest asset ?
Longhorn, DX10, ATI, NVidia, and all the hardware manifacturers out there, keep it going along nicely.

And I find it hard to believe that a bunch of morons believe a bunch of THE most OTT specs I've ever seen ,all posted by a bunch of spotty Teen Interweb Geeks, with way too time on their hands.

You console fanboys can keep your Fifa 2007's, your "The same as every other Beat 'em up 7", Mario does the dishes, Mario Hoovering Sim, Mario does something again, somewhere, "Oooo look at the pretty driving sim with no gameplay", The list goes on, it's just big men in big suits, making tons of cash off of suckers.
Right buddy ;-)

I just hate the ****ing gay consoles hehe there YOU HAVE It AGAIN!

As everbody knows Pc hardware eat the crappy hardware a console has almost emidiate after it's realesed, of course what to expect for that money the ****ty bastards cost

Pc Gaming will never ever die and thats the truth...

Pc high- rez heaven!
DrFx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-04, 08:57 AM   #21
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

DrFX can you ever make a post in these console gaming threads without saying its ****ing gay

Please demonstrate that you have a higher intelectual level than a carrot
Old 02-08-04, 09:15 AM   #22
DrFx

Flibbled by vamp:

Since I am in a good mood today I won't ban you for that, slip up again though and I'll turf your arse out of here.
DrFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-04, 09:24 AM   #23
MUYA

Quote:
Originally posted by DrFx
[BXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXXX XXXXXx [/b]
In case you don't realise it but, Vamps is a staff and forum moderator of nV News. You could do with calming down a bit or Vamps will be forced to fibble you.

MUYA
Corsair 600T Case

Last edited by MUYA; 02-08-04 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-08-04, 10:50 AM   #24
PenguinJim

Teeheehee DrFx is probably dating a horse anyway

Kidding, DrFx. I didn't mean to insult you. Honestly, some of my best friends are homophobes.

Anyway, topic at hand: Yes, I do think the Ultra64's release will mean the death of PC gaming.