Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-07-03, 02:51 PM   #1
morekitsch

Default Overlay video output - full screen secondary

On the newer windows versions of the Nvidia drivers you can use twinview to send the overlay contant <typically video> to the secondary screen only. This makes it possible to have full screen video on thesecondary monitor and while the primary monitor just has whatever video player running in it's window. This is nice if you like to work a bit while a movie is playing.

I'm not even sure is linux deal with overlay inthe same way, but it's a great feature to be able to send a windows output to full screen on your sendondary. Does linux have this feature available too?
morekitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-03, 06:01 PM   #2
udok

aah ! i look for this feature for a few days and I don't find anything
I hope this will be include in a next release of nvidia's drivers
udok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 05:07 AM   #3
jpennane

Default Re: Overlay video output - full screen secondary

I wanted this functionality as well. While I was unable to find this in the drivers, I was able to get similar results using the following:

1) Configure your X to use 2 screens (not twinview). My setup has a TFT monitor as screen 0 and TV as screen 1.
2) Play your video content on screen 1, and it displays on the TV.

My XF86Config file can be found at my site.

My weapon of choice for playing video files is mplayer, which has a command line option for selecting the screen to display on. Any video player should do, but if it doesn't have a command line option for selecting the screen, you must set your DISPLAY environment variable before starting the video player. Also mplayer leaves a control interface to the shell, which helps

This solution has some limitations: The video is not displayed on the primary monitor at all, and the TV is not much use for anything else. I use the TV just to display full screen video, so this solution works for me.

--
Jussi Pennanen
jpennane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 07:53 AM   #4
wopr

However, there is no hardware overlay on either device, or overscan for the TV for that matter.
wopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 03:32 PM   #5
toz

Send a message via ICQ to toz

Hello, I have almost the same setup as you, but my video-output is flickering when there is a lot of movement in the film.
I have tried mplayer and xine, different kernels 2,4xx & 2,6xx but the same thing happend.
Have you or anybody else the same problems ??.

It looks like hardware video-overlay is only possible on one of the screens, so how do I adjut my XF86Config file to have it on the second monitor. ??

My hardware:
P4 2,4Ghz
1GB RD-RAM
MSI FX5600 VIVO
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (3.6 KB, 185 views)
toz is offline   Reply With Quote