Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-04, 02:37 AM   #1
puma

Default linux driver

Hello,
I am running rh 9 and I am fairly new to linux. I cannot get my eth1 to work on my asus A7N8X deluxe. I installed the mother board drivers and eth0 works fine, but I cannot activate eth1. I would like to have both active to setup a network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-04, 02:26 PM   #2
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Hello.
I could be wrong but I believe if you read the "Sticky" the awnser you need will be in there.
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-04, 06:43 PM   #3
puma

Thanks but that guide is too advanced for me I am a beginner with linux. Can anybody recommend a good website or book to become more familliar with how to use linux?
puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 08:04 AM   #4
cglinux

Hi mate,

Don't know of any sites but to get the NVidia Network card working, you need to compile the nvnet module for your kernel.

Chances are you just need to download the RPM for your system from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261

There are two prebuilt RPMs for RH9, for kernel 2.4.20-6 and 2.4.20-9. If that doesn't match your running kernel (type "uname -r" at a command prompt) you'll need to compile the module yourself.

If that does match, download the RPM and install it (type as root "rpm -Uvh file.rpm"). You may have to add the line "alias eth1 nvnet" to your /etc/modules.conf file.

If you have to build your own: make sure you have the kernel-source RPM installed (should come with Redhat) and download the src.rpm file from the above link. Then type as root "rpm --rebuild file.src.rpm" This should rebuild the necessary modules for you and give you an rpm file in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/athlon/ (the last folder name could be i586 or something). You can then install this RPM as above.

Hope this helps.

Col.

PS Oh, this is for a Mandrake system, but the same should be true of Redhat, although it's been a while since I fiddled with Redhat.
cglinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 09:30 AM   #5
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Ok try this:
Code:
 # modprobe 3c59x
That should load the driver you need, now You should be able to configure /dev/eth1
first check in /dev that it exists.
Then use Redhats gui config thingy to configure.
Old 02-17-04, 09:50 AM   #6
cglinux

Ahh cool. I assumed that because the 3Com have open source drivers, that RH would have detected that one and set it up properly.

I just presumed that his eth1 would be the non-opensource nvnet network adapter and thus RH wouldn't find it (without 3rd party drivers).

Does RH distribute these nvnet drivers?

Sorry if I gave bogus info.

Col.
Old 02-17-04, 12:16 PM   #7
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

I'm in doubt now I thought it was the 3com because he said he installed the motherboard drivers.
Old 02-17-04, 02:08 PM   #8
cglinux

Well seeing as neither of us really know, Puma has got two potential answers for the price of one!!

I think that Mobo has both the Nvidia and the 3com cards onboard, but I have no idea really.

Anyways, hope all this info helps you Puma.

Col.