Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-07-04, 03:46 PM   #1
DrFx

Default If PC Gaming Dies, Will it Really Matter???

Quote from Jeepers..heres the link http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33740001

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Puts on flame-retardent suit....)

Before you fire up those flame throwers, however, hear me out.....

If the PC is no longer a viable platform for gaming in the next two years as a result of the next generation of consoles, will it really matter that much?

I mean, let's look at the specs of X-Box 2 that were recently released.....64-bit processing, an ATI 500 video card, etc. Sounds like a hi-tech PC gaming rig to me!

Mighty impressive indeed, and it makes you kind of wonder how PC gaming will longer be able to compete with the likes of such a console.

And really, if the specs do prove true, gaming on the consoles should become on par with what PC gaming would be able to offer, only with many more titles to choose from.

As a long-time PC gamer, I had hoped the industry would never burn out and for consoles take over.

However, when I see the specs of the X-Box 2, it kinda gets me excited about the future of gaming and makes me less worrisome about the potential demise of PC gaming.

The key here, however, will be the price points of the new consoles. If they're around $500, I'd say that's still around the cost of a single component needed for PC gaming - the ever-important video card- and therefore good enough for me to consider buying instead of a new PC rig. No more compatability issues, upgrades, etc. to worry about.

I would love to see the X-Box 2 (or PS3, for that matter) implement a mouse and keyboard. That, for me at least, would give me no reason to use a PC as my gaming machine in the future. The implmentation of AA, IMO, is also a must.

With the specs of the X-Box 2, I really belive the writting is on the wall for PC gaming...it'll still be around, no doubt, but less influential than ever before.

But with the salacious specs of Microsoft's next gaming rig, I say "Who Cares?"
DrFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 04:28 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Cool

Problem with console over PC is
1. People prefer to play at the desk with PC monitor keyboard and mouse.
-. Console people play in a sofa or something in front of Big TV set...need good TV ....

2.Console should have Harddriver to be able to download updates , and PC version games can be supported thro modding comunity ,
-. can't mod Console games... without some serious haxing , not all console have hardrive.

3.You can do so mutch more on a PC then console includeing cheating
+. cheating is mutch harder on console thats good IMHO

4. PC is more complex/flexible entertainament system
-.Console is single minded game system.

5. Now offcourse Console with Keyboard + Mouse + Harddrive + a bit more flexible games and support not just TV set but regular monitors + DVI LCDs and enough power to run bug free games at higher res then TV , would be a killer for games that is.

-. you still have to go back to PC to browse web , send emails , watch pron , ect ect

Ultimately its Apples to Oranges comparision untill console can offer everything PC can except bugs and hardware problems.
Old 02-07-04, 04:36 PM   #3
Malfunction

I think the ability to mod games is enough to keep PC Gaming going. Hell, Desert Combat is bigger than BF1942. Mods keep games alive, take away that ability and you have a short lived game, especially if the sequal to a great game ends up being a bust over the original.

There are more reasons, but I like this one the most.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 04:41 PM   #4
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Yes it will matter. Gaming on consoles I also believe will be on par with the pc when the next generation of console show up and man I really think M$ has got there communiction another level above anything on pc to an extent. But as good as I think X-Box Live and games on it are they simply cannot touch whats on pc. He he forgets to mention the other parts of what makes PC gaming what it is on the PC...the mods (desert combat, counter striker), The dedicated servers (a dedicated X-Box server? I dont think so and you just try finding a console server 2 A.M in the morning), then there thrust so many have to upgrade and tweak there hardware...all for gaming on a pc...I dont see that dying or not mattering (is that a word?) anytime soon.

But this also should be a wakeup call...if anything I think it will be M$ and the X-Box that brings a fight to the pc. Developers need to take the next step and raise the requirements on there creations so that consoles dont catchup, 2ghz CPU, 512Ram minimum...should be the next stepping stone. Alot of games out now dont push anything in my system to warrant all the money I or most dump in them to be honest.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 05:06 PM   #5
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Nothing will EVER replace a pc. No console has a wasd type control the FPS's are made for
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 05:21 PM   #6
Vash
Angel Arms

I think it matters, myself. PC gaming and consoles have always existed on opposite ends of the pendulum - when one is doing well, the other tends to not do so well. But I think that's changing a little.

The PC gaming market is dictated by the lowest common denominator. It used to be that PC games were cheap enough to make that only people with specific hardware could run the games, and that definitely drove people to get the equipment ("I can run Quake at 640x480!" "Awesome!"). And because the market was so hardcore, and because of the people that were pushing out the games (Carmack comes to mind), the hardware soared ahead.

Right now, we're seeing a downturn in hardware output, which means that we're approaching a new level of complexity and the old methods don't work as well - Nvidia and ATI can't just stick some faster RAM, a more efficient core and larger heatsinks in a new card and watch their performance numbers shoot through the roof. Games are growing in complexity faster than the hardware is. There have also been a number of significant letdowns recently - the Geforce FX line certainly didn't turn out as hot as Nvidia wanted, and Half-Life 2's delay put a large crimp in ATI's expected sales.

The next generation of video hardware should be fantastic - Nvidia has some reputation to regain, and ATI wants to grab more of their market share. But something else to consider is the next generation of games; the games that are going to come after Doom 3 are going to try and live up to its standards, and/or will license its technology.

Consoles will almost always look better than PCs, but the mod-ability of PCs and the fun of improving your machine yourself will keep PC gaming around. And since both fields have their own talented people, I don't think that either field will dry up any time soon, if at all.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 06:08 PM   #7
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

I say i have to flame this guy, what kind of tard bases his whole point on 'rumored xbox 2 specs'

It dosent matter its specs, it will be the same old same old. Just like the Xbox, it will come out around 4 years after the pc counterpart came out, and everyone willl still wow it.
Old 02-07-04, 06:12 PM   #8
Viral
Registered User of Women

What seems to have turned this person into not caring is simply the specs of the xbox2.... but he seems to be forgetting something.

Xbox 2 is set to launch late 2005 to early 2006, correct? by that time we should be awaiting R600 and enjoying R550. So how does this differ to xbox using NV20 in late 2001 early 2002 and us soon to be enjoying NV25 and awaiting NV30 (in this case we were wrong;p)? but when reflecting, we can see that most likely the situation will be even better. We will most likely have a revision of the R500 by the time xbox2 launches, where as last time we had to wait. All though maybe the R500 will be a fair way off of a Pc R500 and will be more like an R550.. but my guess is that could push the budget.

I dont think xbox2 will be all that much more compared to PC's of the time than the xbox was. It's processor may be a little better (but by then we should be looking at 5GHz/5000+ so whats likely to be in an xbox 2.0GHz 64-bit something, wont end up being all that much better than the 700MHz p3 was for it's time.

Give it 6 months and we will have Pc's that can play games with much higher IQ settings than xbox2.

Whats more, it looks like xbox2 may only be supporting 480i.. this will allow the tech to run top-of-the-line games for years to come, but that is a major drawback from what we can do with PC. I hope they end up going for 720p or something, that would be decent, but i can see why they don't, their tech will struggle to run games at such a res while keeping all the effects +AA +AF after about a year.

That's the major problem.. for a year consoles provide top end tech.. after that PC either plays these games at a much higher res and with more/new effects/Iq settings or Pc games start to look better. After that they are way behind for 3+ years. They just dont refresh often enough.. i can see why, but that is a major benefit of the PC, even if it is an expensive one.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-04, 07:54 PM   #9
Greg

As long as almost 100 million PCs are manufactured each year, PC games won't go away. Basically, where ever there is a CPU, there is the potential to run a game program. Market share, and what the CPU is housed in may change dramatically though. Perhaps in the future, every room in the house will have a wall size screen and there will be one multi-tasking CPU running every program, controlled by every wireless device within the building. Is it a PC, a console, a home entertainment system? Who knows, but it will be cool, it will be expensive, and it will probably involve Microsoft in some way :O
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 08:15 PM   #10
Raptorman
Former Marine

Send a message via MSN to Raptorman Send a message via Yahoo to Raptorman

1. PC gaming will never die.
2. Consoles will never be as good as playing on the PC.
3. PC gaming is responsible for many of the advancements in technology, not consoles.
Not As Mean, Not As Lean, But Still A Marine
Ramadi 2006, 22 MEU 2007
3rd Battalion 8th Marines WPNS CO
"Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat."
RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995
Raptorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 08:35 PM   #11
Ninja Prime

I'm afraid you PC fanboys are in denial. Being one myself I can understand. The technology is advancing so fast that they will be able to create a console that can do the best graphics your eyes can visually discern in a cheap $100-$200 package soon. Maybe not with the X-box2/PS3/Gameshpere generation, but probably the next gen, out in 2010-2011. You won't be able to do better graphics/AI etc. so there will be no point to buying PCs for gaming anymore, as you can get the best of everything on a cheap console. PC gaming won't just die out all of the sudden then, but it will fade away over a few years, and developers will just stop making PC games. I'm sure some PC gaming will remain, but only in the form of user-created games most likely, or a very small niche market.

This is all 7-8 years away though, so don't worry now.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-04, 09:46 PM   #12
Razor04

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninja Prime
I'm afraid you PC fanboys are in denial. Being one myself I can understand. The technology is advancing so fast that they will be able to create a console that can do the best graphics your eyes can visually discern in a cheap $100-$200 package soon. Maybe not with the X-box2/PS3/Gameshpere generation, but probably the next gen, out in 2010-2011. You won't be able to do better graphics/AI etc. so there will be no point to buying PCs for gaming anymore, as you can get the best of everything on a cheap console. PC gaming won't just die out all of the sudden then, but it will fade away over a few years, and developers will just stop making PC games. I'm sure some PC gaming will remain, but only in the form of user-created games most likely, or a very small niche market.

This is all 7-8 years away though, so don't worry now.
See that may be true...but something better is always just around the corner. Maybe PC gaming will die, but I have a feeling console gaming will die with it. Something better will show up that will end up replacing both. I am not saying this is going to happen anytime soon but honestly 10-15 years from now I doubt consoles or pc gaming will be around anymore. Something much better will most likely be out.
Razor04 is offline   Reply With Quote