Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-04, 08:38 PM   #49
Vash
Angel Arms

Had me some fun, but I must not have played it enough - none of those screenshots are familiar. Are those in the demo?

The villiage level reminded me a lot of older FPS's. I was fully expecting to be going into those houses and doing some close-range zombie killing (would have been great with the stake gun!), but I didn't get any. My attention wavered and I went back to playing FF Tactics Advance until my GBA battery went dead.

/me gives it another shot.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 08:56 PM   #50
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally posted by Skinner
Charactershadows slow down my R9800 XT though by a lot, what's the impact for nVidia cards?
I didnot notice the fps drop by much with shadows on, with a hord of them sword men running at me the fps stayed at round 40fps average in 1280x1024/FSAA 4x/AF 4x on the palace map.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 02:19 AM   #51
jedah
Vampire Saviour

Truths about Painkiller:

1) Eastern Europe new Development Houses Rock!!!!Where did all these programmers came from(Croteam,People can Fly)??I wish my little country(Greece) had this kind of software houses...

2) The game is technically superb,very professional and polished.If the pre -release demo is like that imagine the final game...

3) It has simple - back to the roots FPS gameplay.Like Serious Sam as many said.But it's got this occult - demonic - medieval atmosphere which
scares a lot.You may simply kill hordes of monsters again and again,but the Havok 2.0 physics engine makes everything so darkly satisfing...

4) AI is to be found.Very simplistic,thank god it's a bloody massacre out there to take notice...

5) It runs silky smooth in highest detail settings...

6) Blood meets Serious Sam meets Quake?? No , just Painkiller...

7) The effect when you go berzerk is astounding...
Old 02-20-04, 09:35 AM   #52
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by jedah
Truths about Painkiller:

1) Eastern Europe new Development Houses Rock!!!!Where did all these programmers came from(Croteam,People can Fly)??I wish my little country(Greece) had this kind of software houses...

2) The game is technically superb,very professional and polished.If the pre -release demo is like that imagine the final game...

3) It has simple - back to the roots FPS gameplay.Like Serious Sam as many said.But it's got this occult - demonic - medieval atmosphere which
scares a lot.You may simply kill hordes of monsters again and again,but the Havok 2.0 physics engine makes everything so darkly satisfing...

4) AI is to be found.Very simplistic,thank god it's a bloody massacre out there to take notice...

5) It runs silky smooth in highest detail settings...

6) Blood meets Serious Sam meets Quake?? No , just Painkiller...

7) The effect when you go berzerk is astounding...
Yeah, when you into bezerker mode that is the coolist effect ive seen in any game so far, i totally agree!
Old 02-20-04, 11:23 AM   #53
mrsabidji
I am the cheese...

Send a message via ICQ to mrsabidji

Quote:
Originally posted by jedah
Yeah, plus we're talking about zombies... most of them in the first level lack at least half their brains (from what I've seen), which are dead by the way. So it's a pretty realistic AI in my opinion . And, well, it's not like it was a chess-game or something. Painkiller is a plain Action/killing-frenzy FPS, so the (estimated) poor AI is a non-issue in my opinion. Personally, I don't really mind the zombies having a low IQ since all I've got to do is nail them up some walls.

mrsabidji
Old 02-20-04, 09:20 PM   #54
Clay

Someone over at [H] likened Painkiller to Heretic a bit. I'm sure some of the younger crowd might be saying "Here-what?" Heretic rocked in its day and yeah, Painkiller is kinda like a modern day Heretic...man that wasn't even 10 years ago when Heretic came out

This is just a flat out fun game IMO. You've gotta like it for what it is, not what it isn't. It's not what Thief III will be, it's not C&C, it's not Morrowind, etc, etc. It's mindless classic FPS mayhem...the classic stress reliever.

I especially admire the physics in the game (shooting that cart with the stake gun is just drool-a-rific)...the overall mood, sound and interface is really well done.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 10:36 PM   #55
anzak

Quote:
Originally posted by MaxPower
Someone over at [H] likened Painkiller to Heretic a bit. I'm sure some of the younger crowd might be saying "Here-what?" Heretic rocked in its day and yeah, Painkiller is kinda like a modern day Heretic...man that wasn't even 10 years ago when Heretic came out
Yep, the prequel to Hexen (which really sucked). Painkiller is a prime example of how sound can set the tone of a game or movie. Thats why you must play it with headphones :P
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 10:42 PM   #56
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by anzak
Yep, the prequel to Hexen (which really sucked). Painkiller is a prime example of how sound can set the tone of a game or movie. Thats why you must play it with headphones :P
Agreed, Hexen was big flop. It had the blowing leaves though right? Those were kewl at least. I am big fan of headphones.

Old 02-20-04, 11:46 PM   #57
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

ahhh.. heretic.. *sniff* the good old days.. and hexen.. lol that was the 3rd person version.. wasnt it??
Old 02-20-04, 11:54 PM   #58
Clay

Yeah, I think you "could" play in 3rd person mode...but I thought that was optional (very optional)
Old 02-21-04, 12:14 AM   #59
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Hexen 2 was 3rd person

Still remeber getting nauseous (sic) playing Heretic 2 or something in 1996..bleurgggggg

Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-04, 12:28 AM   #60
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

ah yes, hexen 2 was the one i was thinking of Hyped like crazy, then it kinda sucked.. or so I heard