Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-04, 09:38 AM   #1
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Question P4P800 acting up...

Hey, I tested my Intel 2.4 CPU and it passes 24 hours of prime95 at std vcore at 3.4GHz, however my current mobo Asus P4P800-DX is only stable below FSB260Mhz, over that it's kinda stable but I notice a really weird almost silent high-pitched buzzing comming from around or from the chipset.

The chipset is actively cooled, and it's not too hot. There is no question that the noise comes from my mobo, not the ram not the fans not the case not the cards.

What the hell on a motherboard could buzz? The noise becomes quite clear at FSB270, and I believe it is linked to crashes at or around FSB283.

HELP!

Thanks

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-04, 10:03 AM   #2
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

And my problem was true with other vid cards too, I know it's not my FX5900.
Old 02-13-04, 11:55 AM   #3
Malfunction

You flash the BIOS yet? ver. 1009 has a load of problems. 1010 is good, 1012 offers support for Extreme Edition CPU's.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-04, 08:36 AM   #4
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

yup, using 1014
Old 02-14-04, 09:03 AM   #5
Riptide

FYI, it is not totally out of the ordinary to have DDR produce noise when prime95 is running. I have experienced it first-hand on my motherboard with two different sets of memory. I also posted a thread on abxzone about it and there were others that reproduced the issue. I know it was memory doing it because when I pulled out my OCZ and put in my mushkin the noise was there still during prime95 tests but the pitch changed.

The noise was kind of like a high pitched warbling. Not loud, but noticeable.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-04, 08:14 PM   #6
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

I slowed the RAM way down to 100mHz (200 total) with my FSB at 4x150 and the hiss(it's a hiss the sound) is still there.

The hiss is there when I do a bandwidth intensive test, but it changes pitch depending on the frequency of my FSB more than my RAM. I think it's the chipset... I think it's making a hiss when there's a lot of data passing through...

I was wondering if it could be a condensor around the chipset / memory / cpu area... Do Asus boards have a history of problems with the condensors?

BTW do Asus Probe temp sensors (or the Bios temp sensors) give off the real temp? (the newest AsusProbe on the Web site)
I never get above 50C even at 3.4Ghz but I still get unexplained freezes after an hours of prime95, plus the hiss, but no errors, just a full system freeze at FSB283.

I'd like some more feedback from Asus i865 and i875 owners (btw thanks Riptide, have you noticed a limit to your oveerclocking?)
Old 02-16-04, 11:16 AM   #7
Malfunction

Quote:
Originally posted by Daneel Olivaw
I slowed the RAM way down to 100mHz (200 total) with my FSB at 4x150 and the hiss(it's a hiss the sound) is still there.

The hiss is there when I do a bandwidth intensive test, but it changes pitch depending on the frequency of my FSB more than my RAM. I think it's the chipset... I think it's making a hiss when there's a lot of data passing through...

I was wondering if it could be a condensor around the chipset / memory / cpu area... Do Asus boards have a history of problems with the condensors?

BTW do Asus Probe temp sensors (or the Bios temp sensors) give off the real temp? (the newest AsusProbe on the Web site)
I never get above 50C even at 3.4Ghz but I still get unexplained freezes after an hours of prime95, plus the hiss, but no errors, just a full system freeze at FSB283.

I'd like some more feedback from Asus i865 and i875 owners (btw thanks Riptide, have you noticed a limit to your oveerclocking?)
The only things that I have seen relevent to the problems you are having is audio related. This would have to do with the : Wave/SW Synth/Line in/PC Beep audio levels. Another thing I have noticed is it is related to the Audigy soundcards, however it appears easy to resolve.

http://forums.devhardware.com/showth...g+sound+card!!

As far as the stability of the board, it is one of the best if not the best. And for your other questions, I have been successful at 257Mhz FSB with a 5:4 divider ratio. However my memory doesn't enjoy being beyond that. I don't get any freezes however at 250Mhz FSB, so I sit at 3.5Ghz and that is just fine for me and a retail HSF. I currently have my memory voltage at it's max, you may wanna try that and see if it increases your stability in Prime 95.

*Incase the hissing problem didn't work out, may wanna try google: P4P800 and hissing and buzzing and crackling to see if there is any other issues closer in relation to yours.

Peace,

Malfunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-04, 02:15 PM   #8
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

It's not sound related, and the problem persists even with my ram at 2:3 (way below its rated speed).

I isolated the area where the hiss originates (it's a ssssssssss sound that increases in pitch exactly with the FSB) At FSB300 (which my CPU can boot at at std vcore (not really stable though)) As I was saying at FSB300 the hiss is really higher pitched. I know roughly where it comes from, I used a cone.

No one no where has exactly the same problem, colsest I found was people with blown or near blown condensors. My condensors are fine...

Anyways, thanks for trying.

At FSB166 it's perceptible but a really low sssss, and increases with FSB until at FSB266-283 it's a high hisss and pretty much a ssssiiiiiii at FSB300

Old 02-19-04, 04:53 PM   #9
kraigc
kagogi jum ju ship shiyo!

i've never had any problems with mine once i got it running
2G Corsair XMS PC6400
BFG GeForce 8800GTS 512 (g92)
Audigy 2 ZS
80GB Seagate Barracuda
80GB Maxtor
Plextor 708A DVD-/+RW
Plextor 716A DVD-/+RW
kraigc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-08, 03:45 PM   #10
alcest

Default Re: P4P800 acting up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
It's not sound related, and the problem persists even with my ram at 2:3 (way below its rated speed).

I isolated the area where the hiss originates (it's a ssssssssss sound that increases in pitch exactly with the FSB) At FSB300 (which my CPU can boot at at std vcore (not really stable though)) As I was saying at FSB300 the hiss is really higher pitched. I know roughly where it comes from, I used a cone.

No one no where has exactly the same problem, colsest I found was people with blown or near blown condensors. My condensors are fine...

Anyways, thanks for trying.

At FSB166 it's perceptible but a really low sssss, and increases with FSB until at FSB266-283 it's a high hisss and pretty much a ssssiiiiiii at FSB300
Hi,
i have the same problem, only when cpu is idling that hiss sound is not heard.
and also when moving with mouse, (better gaming mouse, with older cheapo mouse, hiss isnt heard when moving the mouse)
And i have ASRock 4Core1600P35-WiFi mobo.
alcest is offline   Reply With Quote