Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-30-04, 05:54 AM   #1
lancer01

Lightbulb Stability problem - Badness in pci_find_subsys memory related?

To share my experiences with all of you

I have an Athlon XP system with Via KT266A chipset and two strips of 256MB DDR memory. The system crashed sporadically due to the well known " Badness in pci_find_subsys at drivers/pci/search.c:167" error. (To be found in /var/log/messages).

When I added an extra strip of 256MB DDR ram the system became highly unstable (well technically only X, since the rest of the system kept running). Memtest86 told me all memory was A-ok. The error message was "Badness in pci_find_subsys at drivers/pci/search.c:167", which resulted in a frozen X and non working keyboard and mouse

When I took the extra mem out, the system was stable again, using only the new strip of mem also posted no problems. However, after some tweaking the system was stable again. Since I saw a couple of other users on this forum with the same problem I'll tell you what I did, so maybe this'll solve somebody else 's problem. Also I never found a direct relation between system memory and this error message

I tweaked the following BIOS settings:
AGP Aperture to 32MB
Mem settings to be determined from SPD
Bank Interleave to 4 (At some website I saw this could increase stability)
DDR_1T/2T_ITEM to auto (determined from SPD now)
Dram 4k/8k page enable to 8k pages (same as kernel stack size now, coincidence?)

And last but not least I put the following line in /etc/modprobe.conf:
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 (to my experience this should decrease stability however)

I could invest some time into finding out which setting did the trick, but since this is a kind of "twilight zone" related problem I don't dare and touch any of these settings again in fear of getting stuck with an unstable system again.
lancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 04:37 AM   #2
lancer01

Default Re: Stability problem - Badness in pci_find_subsys memory related?

Alas, my problems aren't solved. The frequency in which it happens is lower, but the problem isn't fixed.

I did notice that changing the AGP driver, or turning it of didn't work at all. Well, back to the nv driver.
lancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 05:17 PM   #3
RojSmith

Default Re: Stability problem - Badness in pci_find_subsys memory related?

Hi. I have the same problem.
"Badness in pci_find_subsys", although, not from adding memory, but from turning on the option:
Option "RenderAccel" "true" (This was the last thing i did before the problem started massively. A close look at my logs show that it happened several times in the past).
I use:
Kernel 2.6.5,
nvidia drive ver 1.0-4363,
Nvidia Geforece 4 440
Motherboard: Gigabyte: GA-7VA-C
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2200+.
If there is anymore information you need, I will be happy to suply it.
RojSmith is offline   Reply With Quote