Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-14-04, 09:47 PM   #49
tamran

Quote:
I have not seen this problem refected in a forum I modurate and I dont have this problem either, seems to me that its a distro/nvidia driver rather than the nvidia driver itself.
Oh, I guess the problem doesn't really exist then. Even though I've had this issue on several other Linux computers I've used. I must have been wrong.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Cheers,

Tamran
tamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-04, 10:14 PM   #50
praetor

SuLinux,
I read your reply and am quite amused that after your reply it says you are running an Athlon XP 2600. I tend to think that maybe you don't see this error because you are not running a 64 bit system. Most of these people with this problem, myself included, are running such 64 bit systems. I have this problem quite frequently and it seems to me that everyone is wanting to shift the blame to someone else and not actually get anything done. There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding, misinformation, and a general lack of willing to fix it. From what I gather from reading is that NVidia has fixed the problem for Nvidia, but is not willing to see what can be done for the 64 bit users who are forced to use AGPGART. If you are using a 32 bit system then it would only make sense that you are running the NvAGP driver instead of AGPGART. I seriously hope someone fixes this as I have invested a heap of money in many NVidia graphics cards. >:/
praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-04, 10:57 PM   #51
SuLinUX

I'm puzzled why you think my comments are amusing, it is not just 64bit systems this problem is affecting, as Zander has said, It can be a number of things and different hardware configurations. No one asked you to jump onto the 64bit bandwaggon with the drivers having a small devlopment time, I would'nt touch a 64bit system at this point, because of issues and bugs like theses.

Take these comments how you will as they are not intedend to be flames, however just be thankful you have drivers at all for a 64bit system, however I do think ofcourse that all nvidia drivers(64bit or not) still do need alot of work.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0

Last edited by SuLinUX; 03-15-04 at 12:01 AM.
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-04, 09:33 AM   #52
tamran

Quote:
...seems to me that its a distro/nvidia driver rather than the nvidia driver itself.
This is not a distro/nvidia problem, it's nvidia/agpgart ... I'm sure of it. It looks as though th card that I'm using (Geforce4 TI 4800SE) as well as the AGP chipset (K8T800) are not yet on the supported list of any driver. I have a sense that this has a lot to do with it. I believe time will show that this problem can be fixed, but it's up to us (the users) to bring it up if there is a problem.

Quote:
..however just be thankful you have drivers at all for a 64bit system, however I do think ofcourse that all nvidia drivers(64bit or not) still do need alot of work.
I specifically bought an NVIDIA card because of the AMD64 support. I should not feel "lucky" ... as I paid big bucks for this card. However, this problem does exist on all platforms as you stated. I think if you read the entire thread, you'll see that a great deal of troubleshooting has been done and in general, the posts have been quite constructive. We're just a bunch of guys trying to find commonality to narrow the problem down.

Quote:
I have not seen this problem refected in a forum I modurate and I dont have this problem either ...
That's great that you don't have this problem. It just seems that your reply is not in the most "proactive" tone. Which is why I think your reply is funny. It gives me the sense that what you are trying to say is that since you haven't seen it before and that you don't have it, it must not really exist. Or, that everyone else is using the wrong distro of Linux.

Anyway, we're getting off topic with all of this. As soon as I get some reply from NVIDIA and/or a fix for this, I'll be sure to post.

Regards,

Tamran
Old 03-15-04, 10:20 AM   #53
Spudman

Quote:
Originally posted by SuLinUX
I have not seen this problem refected in a forum I modurate and I dont have this problem either, seems to me that its a distro/nvidia driver rather than the nvidia driver itself.

Also looking back through my /var/log/messagers I can see no sign of thoughs errors at all.
I have two different machines here, both using the NForce2 chipset, and both running Slackware 9.1 updated to the 2.6.3 kernel. One machine constantly spews the PCI error yet the other doesn't. Literally copying the kernel + modules from the problem free machine doesn't cure the problem either.

There are some things I want to try, such as moving the video card between machines & tweaking some settings, but I just haven't had the time yet. Also, in my case the error is non-fatal so I've just commented the error out of the kernel for now.
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-04, 11:43 AM   #54
praetor

Ahmen Tamran. I second that.
Old 03-15-04, 04:11 PM   #55
bengibbs

Default lock up hell blurrghh_find_arrrhhh nastiness

After trying to live with the nv module bundled with Xfree86 4.3.0 I've given up on it - it really sucks: I'm now running an old set of NVIDIA drivers (4363 - prepatched from http://www.sh.nu/download/nvidia/linux-2.6/) and as I type this I have a horrible sense of tempting fate, but everythnig seems to be in order: Well no crashes for about an hour - which is close on a record of late. In case anyone is interested here is my setup.

Relevant Kernel config options (kernel 2.6.4)
# CONFIG_AGP is not set
# CONFIG_PM is not set

Options passed to the kernel (probably no longer relevant - but they are staying in while I'm stable):
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=301 ide0=dma ide1=dma pci=noacpi acpi=off noapic

XF86Config-4 section:
Section "Device"
Identifier "RIVA TNT2"
VendorName "Unknown"
BoardName "Unknown"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS" "on"
Option "BackingStore" "On"
# Option "NvAGP" "integer"
# Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:
# 0 : disable agp
# 1 : use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible
# 2 : use AGPGART, if possible
# 3 : use any agp support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "NoLogo" "1"
EndSection

Im running a MSI K7t Turbo II with Athlon XP2400 and riva tnt2.

If there is any other information you would like please just ask.

Good Luck Everyone.
bengibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-04, 04:36 PM   #56
SuLinUX

I have asked people to report any problems related to this issue, but again I will say I have seen noone with this issue and I would say that it's constuctive because I may have narrowed it down for you.

Using the 2.6 rpm with over 120 replies and 4000 views noone has posted a Issue like this, ofcourse I'm not saying that it dont exsist however if it was a nvidia bug it would refect in the forum I modurate. I sure that people would'nt keep quiet about this issues, also not see heard of this issue in the irc channel.

I hope you get this sorted and ANY insite I can provide i'm sure would be helpful.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0

Old 03-15-04, 05:02 PM   #57
praetor

You keep talking about this forum that you moderate, and how this problem is not there. Why have you not linked us to your forum yet? I personally would like to see this forum and maybe even post there to get some help. Because if people on your forum are not seeing this problem then maybe they are doing something that we who see this problem aren't. Also, if you haven't seen this problem then why do you continue to post that here? You have done absolutely nothing to help those of us by continuing to state this over and over. If you have "narrowed this problem down" give us specifics. Dont sit here and rant on how you don't see it. That just irritates those who do have the problem and opens this forum for a flame war. We don't need that now, we just need to figure out what is causing it and how we can fix it. I am in no way bashing you SuLinux, just so you know. I just want some answers as to the cause of this evilness.
Old 03-15-04, 05:20 PM   #58
SuLinUX

praetor

You should really sort your attitude out, I have not had "rant" about this it's people like you that inturpite words as flames for the sake of it, get your words in gear and stop acussing me of flaming and ranting.

It seems to me that YOU are the one ranting and accusing me of lying, HERE please feel free to look and stop taking your frustation out on me or anyother "Linux" user for that matter. The whole idea of feedback it to see if other people have had this problem, I'm saying no I've not see this, that dont mean he's lying for godsake.

Also Seening as you have not provided any feedback what gives you the right with 3 posts to question me?, get you own fact straight first before sprouting useless info yourself.
Old 03-15-04, 05:40 PM   #59
tamran

SuLinUX,

Don't you have a forum to moderate somewhere?
Old 03-15-04, 05:50 PM   #60
SuLinUX

Yes in the link above but anyway, hope you find your problem rather than take your frustration out of people who challenge or dont have the issue. It seems in this thread that even Zander got flamed for speaking his technical and valid views, some of you are not going to find the answer with that attitude.