Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-04, 08:21 PM   #13
seibeldu

twinpower:
re: agp status

are you sure your board only has 1x agp access??

check into the bios once and see if you can bump that up to 4x, which Im sure your board could do.

just a thought
seibeldu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-04, 01:41 PM   #14
twinpower

Default AGP 1x

The PC I'm setting this up on is an AMD irongate chipset, and from the nvidia Linux drivers FAQ :

Irongate Chip sets with AGP 1x
AGP 1x transfers are used on Athlon motherboards with the Irongate
chip set to work around a problem with the signal integrity of
the chip set.

Although I personally don't think that it would make a difference in the problem we're seeing here... when I set the bios to agp 1x and boot into Windows I don't experience any screen drawing wierdness.

Anyone come up with anything yet? The PC I'm having these troubles with is my work PC, so I generally don't toy with it over the weekend
twinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-04, 01:50 PM   #15
sourcexx

i switched back to nv and mesa meanwhile - slow by nature but better than the nvidia at the moment ;-) - i will keep trying to get it running smoothly but currently i'm out of ideas where to go on ...

rgds
marc'O
sourcexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 07:09 PM   #16
twinpower

Default Well

You probably already knew this, kernel 2.6.3 doesn't help out.. I just upgraded.
Strange thing though, I can't load any drivers newer than the 4620 set.
X starts, but I get glx errors when I use anything above 4620... I'm going to start a new thread and post those errors there.
Old 02-25-04, 03:04 AM   #17
sourcexx

as for me the newest 5xbla nvidia driver works with kernel 2.6.3 - everything fine except the same slow screen redraws ... also glx fine ...

rgds
marc'O
sourcexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 08:46 AM   #18
AvalonAdmin

Unhappy slow rates with kernel 2.6.3

I'm using Fedora Core 1 with 2.6.3 kernel and latest Nvidia driver package but when I run glxgears frames are too low (from 5 to 7) with a GeForce 4 MX440 graphics board and AMD Athlon 1600XP and 512MB of RAM. Any clue? Thanks
AvalonAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 02:21 PM   #19
twinpower

Default Avalon Admin

Your frame rates are probably because the application is using Mesa (software OpenGL) instead of the Nvidia OpenGL libs (which activate hardware acceleration)

I think the solution to this is to :
First check your XF86Config : make sure you're using the correct file (some distro's using /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 , instead of just XF86Config)

Then make sure you don't have any lines about "DRI" inside of the config. Comment out any lines or sections that have "DRI" in them. Check the FAQ for more details.

Also, make sure you have "glx" inside of the modules section of your XF86Config. Remove "dri" if it's there, and "glcore" if it's there.
Additionally, make sure your "driver" line under your "videocard" section is "nvidia" and not "nv" (nvidia is the driver from nvidia, while nv is the XF86Driver I believe)

Next, use the xdpyinfo command to look and see what OpenGL library's / video card drivers you're using.

Finally (for this post at least) look in the directory "/usr/lib/tls"
All of the library files in here have identically named counterparts in the "/usr/lib" dir. Move all of the files out of "/usr/lib/tls" then make symlinks to all of the corresponding files in "/usr/lib"

Like, if one of the files is named "libGL.so" then do this inside of the /usr/lib/tls dir : ln -s ../ligGL.so libGL.so

Gotta run.