Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-04, 03:45 PM   #1
salemvam

Unhappy Mandrake & nVidia drivers (whatever version)

Hello there:
------------------------------------------------------
I have a serious problem with Mandrake 9.1 and nVidia Drivers. When I install them I get my Mandrake Box unusable because the X server freezes and nothing can be done to shut down correctly because mouse and keyboard doesn't work. It has been the same problem with every version of the drivers I have tried since July last year.

But, by other hand, I installed MEPIS linux (Debian Based) and the drivers worked fine, but... my SB Live! 5.1 doesn't work properly. Because that, I know I did the installation correctly: the problem isn't my video card, my mother board or the "XF86Config-4" file edition. Must be a problem with Mandrake distro.

Anyone knows what's the problem I'm talking about? This problem also happened to me with Mandrake 9.0. My nVidia card is a GeForce4 MX440. I would like to see my MDK box running fully functional.

Thanks for read this: I hope someone could help me to solve this.
salemvam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-04, 11:48 PM   #2
letseymoe

Unhappy

same problem (w/ mandrake 9.2), same video card.... I need help!!!
letseymoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-04, 04:38 PM   #3
Thoreau

Default Hi

In lilo's append=

noacpi mem=nopentium

Choose NvAGP rather than the kernel's AGPgart driver in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I'm assuming AMD for the CPU because you don't actually give any details whatsoever about your hardware. So, do what you will with the info.
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 11:53 AM   #4
bailout

If you haven't already fixed your problem check out my post here

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=25013

It certainly sounds like you may be having the same problem.
bailout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 05:14 PM   #5
salemvam

Smile

Thank you all:
========================================
I will try all your instructions tomorrow and I will drop a reply with the results. Thanks for
your time and support guys. See ya!
========================================
Old 02-22-04, 07:04 PM   #6
salemvam

Default Tired of try to...

Hello to all again:
===============================================
I don't know what happens with my PC, but all you have told me to do with "/etc/lilo.conf" and "/etc/X11/XFConfig-4" doesn't work at all.
My PC is a Pentium IV 2533MHz, 256Mb DDR RAM, P4VXASD2+ mainboard and a nVidia GeForce4 MX440 video card.
What more would I try to avoid my PC become a toaster when I install nVidia drivers on it? Thanks to all your sugestions guys... but must be another thing. My PC freezes and I always must do a dirty restart because keyboard and mouse doesn't work.
If I vary in "/etc/X11/XFConfig-4" the option "NvAGP" from "0" to "3", it gives a slightly different problem: sometimes the screen freezes (including mouse pointer), the keyboard doesn't respond but the clock in the task bar continue counting. But sometimes all freezes and you can only move the mouse cursor. Always a hard reset is the only way to restart the computer.
I don't know what to do now... any suggestions guys? Thanks again.
Old 02-23-04, 04:27 PM   #7
Antonio P.
5700 Ultra

I had the same problem some time ago, but now it's finished and I don't know really what solved the problem.

Do you have always the same problem ? when ? Is it when you start X ?
Have you tried "nv" driver ?
maybe you should post the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file so we can see.

Consider also upgrading to mdk 9.2, it's a very good distrib.
Antonio P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 06:01 PM   #8
salemvam

Hello Antonio:
==================================================
Once I have installed the drivers, I go back to runlevel 5 (INIT 5) and I can see the logo of nVidia. Then, I can see the KDM that asks me my username and password. Once I login under KDE / GNOME / WindowMaker (or whatever envirnoment) I have only a few seconds of glory after the screen freezes (sometimes the KDE session doesn't start because the screen freezes before and I only get the KDE splash screen paused, and the start session music sounds in a ringlet (one and once again until I make a hard reset). Sometimes I can move the mouse cursor and sometimes I can't... but always the keyboard doesn't respond once this happens).
I tried MDK 9.2b2 and I get the same problem. Now I have just reinstalled MDK 9.1 for third time since this weekend and I'm running now with the generic "nv" driver that comes with XFree 4.3.
I'm a bit inexperienced with Linux, but I know that something is wrong winth MDK and my hardware configuration, because with MEPIS (Debian based distro) and Red Hat 9.0 the nVidia drivers works perfectly.
Your problem was like mine? You solved it upgrading to MDK 9.2? Thanks

Old 03-01-04, 06:43 PM   #9
jboschee

Send a message via AIM to jboschee
Unhappy

I have the same problem. I have tried RedHat 9 and the drivers work fine. In Mandrake 9.2 I startx and get a black screen and I have to hard reset. I have tried all the fixes found so far. This is a stock install, nothing changed, by the way. I have a Geforce4 Ti4600

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by salemvam
Hello Antonio:
Once I have installed the drivers, I go back to runlevel 5 (INIT 5) and I can see the logo of nVidia. Then, I can see the KDM that asks me my username and password. Once I login under KDE / GNOME / WindowMaker (or whatever envirnoment) I have only a few seconds of glory after the screen freezes (sometimes the KDE session doesn't start because the screen freezes before and I only get the KDE splash screen paused, and the start session music sounds in a ringlet (one and once again until I make a hard reset). Sometimes I can move the mouse cursor and sometimes I can't... but always the keyboard doesn't respond once this happens).
I tried MDK 9.2b2 and I get the same problem. Now I have just reinstalled MDK 9.1 for third time since this weekend and I'm running now with the generic "nv" driver that comes with XFree 4.3.
I'm a bit inexperienced with Linux, but I know that something is wrong winth MDK and my hardware configuration, because with MEPIS (Debian based distro) and Red Hat 9.0 the nVidia drivers works perfectly.
Your problem was like mine? You solved it upgrading to MDK 9.2? Thanks
jboschee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 08:10 PM   #10
cyphereza

Send a message via Yahoo to cyphereza

My problem is a lil bit different from u guys.
I can install the driver perfectly on Mandrake 9.2 (downloaded version).
But, i can't install it on RedHat 9.0 (Tyroon). Not sure why. Trying Fedora later.
Old 03-01-04, 08:21 PM   #11
mortalic

Default Same problem

I don't know if it's related, but it probably is...
I've posted several times this issue I have on my laptop, it's a dell inspiron 4100 with a geforce2go 32mb, 640mb ram p3 866.
If I use mandrake 9.2 and the nvidia 4496 drivers it runs flawlessly a little slow at times, but perfectly stable and I am quite happy with it. If I try to upgrade to the 53xx series nvidia drivers they will install just fine, but X will freeze and I have to unplug my battery and power to get it to shutdown. If I try to use a 2.6 kernel all hell breaks loose, not only can I not use the 4496 drivers, but the 53xx series drivers will completly destroy my X install and in the last instance I tried, it also destroyed vim (when I was editing XF86Config-4 probably). I have to either remove X and reinstall it (not an easy task), or reinstall mandrake. If I use the NV drivers of course on 2.6 everything works just fine, but then no GL programs of course. To me this is a major issue, I certainly hope it get's fixed soon, or someone figures a way around it.
mortalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-04, 08:35 PM   #12
cyphereza

Send a message via Yahoo to cyphereza

yeah, hopefully the people at nvidia will work on good drivers for redhat and mandrake and other distros too...