Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-17-04, 06:55 PM   #1
danielhobe

Default Twinview and Xv

I recently got a second monitor to hook up to my Quadra 980 XGL. I got everything up and working, twinview is setup and the desktop spans the monitors. My one problem is that I noticed that when playing back movies there was noticeable 'tearing' in the video.

I read the docs and posts that say that when running with Twinview many of the hardware features that are available in single monitor mode are not available or emulated slowly in twinview. So for Xv this means that the driver only provides a 'Video Blitter' rather than an overlay.

My question is this, are the limitations that Twinview imposes because of Hardware limits or driver design?

In single monitor mode I could have 16+ videos all playing back at the same time, all using Xv thanks to the 'pro' fetures of the Quadra, so it would seem that it might be a driver limitation rather than a hardware one. I've found a few ways around this, none very clean or elegant.

Anyone from Nvidia want to comment?
danielhobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-04, 11:14 AM   #2
bmaster

An answer to this would be nice indeed! I'm having the same problem, and I've looked everywhere too, without succes. In Windows on the very same computer (dual boot), it works like a charm, so it's not hardware.

In windows I use clone-mode too. The tv is my second monitor. When I open a mediaplayer, or any other player that uses overlay to play the video, then the tv shows this overlay full-screen. Another example: in Pinnacle studio (video editing), there's a small preview on the mail screen, but that window is shown full screen on the second monitor, which is VERY handy when doing this kind of work. I would love this feature in linux too!
(btw, I have a very simple geforce4 mx440)
bmaster is offline   Reply With Quote