Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-04, 06:58 PM   #1
DaddyLongLegs

Unhappy Fedora Core and Nvidia (gcc mismatch)

I'm a relative newb but have managed to get Fedora Core 1 working with my network and network printers, and everything is great. However, I want to use tis PC as a network game host so I want to install the Nvidia's latest drivers: 1.0-5336 to run on a Geforce 2, MX 440 card.

When I try to install the drivers, i get the; gcc-version check failed along with the note about "If you know what your doing, and to want to ignore the gcc version check, select "no" and continue installation...

I don't really know what I'm doing so I bail at this point because I'm not sure how to recover if the install fails..

I recognize the issue based upon researching other posts, etc..

I have gcc version 3.2.3 used to compile the kernel orginally and 3.3.2 currently being used which creates the mismatch.

I have tried the following based upon other post after dropping out of X window and logging in as root:

# CC-gcc32 sh NVIDIA-Linux..... 1.0-5336-pkg1.run (no change in install error message)

# export CC=gcc32 followed by the sh.... NVIDIA.. (again, no change in install error message)

What am I doing wrong???

I'm using the 2.4.22-1.2174 kernel and have installed the source code for this kernel. I really don't want to try rebuilding the kernel unless absolutely necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

DaddyLongLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 10:22 PM   #2
DaddyLongLegs

Default Follow up

Out of curiosity, if I use the commend #export CC=gcc32, will I still see the warning message during the drivers install anyway and just proceed with the install, or is the warning message supposed to go away during the install?
Old 02-25-04, 07:38 PM   #3
DaddyLongLegs

Default 3 Weeks Trying to Install Driver!

I have reviewed hundreds of posts on multiple forums an spent probably 40 hours of my life trying to install these drivers and and still cannot find a simple newbie guide on how to install Nvidia 1.0-5336 drivers on my Fedora Core machine that is consistent and standardized and that addresses the issues below. I should not that I have not changed cutomized anything on my machine other than download updates and patches via the network alert icon. Yes, the source code is also installed.

1. I tried after becoming root: # export CC=gcc32

i get gcc version check failed..............

2. Next error: unable to determine nvidia kernel module filename

Tried various suggestions but no change:

ie. #./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --add-this-kernel

I get permission denied!!!

WTF am I doing wroing!!!! These suggestions appear to work for other people.

Let's compare:

Downloaded and installed latest drivers for my Windows PC in about 10 minutes...

Linux: 3 weeks and 40+ hours later still no Nvidia drivers....

I enjoy learning about Linux and believe that through the use of various books I bought and these and other forums I've learned a great deal. However, in my opinion Linux is clearly not ready for the masses unless people want to learn command line interfaces using arcane and often confusing commands to do simple upgrades and changes to the system. Moreover, installing something as simple as video drivers should be consistent where there is essentially a standard install. In summary, I feel like I must also be a certified mechanic when all I want to do is drive the car and maintain it.

Old 02-26-04, 09:56 AM   #4
joakimk

Are you absolutely sure that you have the gcc version 3.2 installed?

rpm -q gcc32

or

gcc32 --version

should tell you if that is so or not.

I just installed Fedora Core 1 and I only had to run the installera without any optionflags at all to install the driver.

If installing the kerneldriver from source you have to select to install the package-cluster "kernel development"
joakimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 06:31 PM   #5
DaddyLongLegs

Default gcc mismatch

See response to queries below:
Version in use: 3.3.2
Version used to compile kernel: 3.2.3

[[mark@localhost mark]$ rpm -q gcc32
gcc32-3.2.3-6
[mark@localhost mark]$ gcc32 --version
gcc32 (GCC) 3.2.3 20030422 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-6)
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

[mark@localhost mark]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1)
[mark@localhost mark]$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl (bhcompile@tweety.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-6)) #1 Wed Feb 18 16:38:32 EST 2004
[mark@localhost mark]$

Note that I updated the kernel since the install and am running kernel 2.4.22-1.2174

Thanks,
Old 02-26-04, 07:10 PM   #6
DaddyLongLegs

Default I Fixed IT!!!!!!

When all else fails, I downloaded version the 4496 version of NVIDIAs drivers and ran export CC=gcc32 and they installed without a hitch. Then edited the XF86Config file per the readme and I'm in business.

Questions: Is there a control panel for the Nvidia Drivers like windows and if so, how do I access it?

Since I'm on a roll, how do I upgrade the drivers to the latest version?

Hurray!
Old 02-26-04, 07:21 PM   #7
mlmitton

Daddy, you say you've upgraded your kernel. Did you leave the old kernel on the machine? (FC ships with .2115 I think?) If so, when you boot your machine, do you have the option to boot into the earlier kernel? And if so, did you try installing the Nvidia drivers on the earlier kernel?

With the earlier kernel version, you won't need the kernel source at all, and that at least simplifies this whole process. (For a time, I was using an updated kernel from Fedora that the Nvidia installer didn't recognize, and I never was able to get the nvidia drivers installed properly. I went back to the original kernel, and it installed without any problem at all.)

Also, here's a site that if you haven't discovered already, you should know about:
http://fedoranews.org/
In the contributing articles section, there is an article on installing the Nvidia drivers. I don't think the article will tell you anything you don't already know, though.... But the website has lots of other good tips for a beginner.
mlmitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-04, 07:27 PM   #8
mlmitton

Well, you posted your success story while I was writing my response. So forget I said anything!

As to updating to the latest version....there is an update command with the Nvidia installer. It's been a while since I used it, so I can't tell you from memory how to use it, but it's explained in the README file for the drivers. If it works, it's as easy as Kill X, update, start X. But, before you try that, make sure you still have your old drivers available in case you need to reinstall them to work.

EDIT:

OK, I checked the Readme. And, in theory, updating should be this easy:
init 3 (kill X)
nvidia-installer --update
init 5 (QED)

But again, make sure you keep the drivers that did work around so you can reinstall them in case there's a problem.
mlmitton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-04, 07:57 PM   #9
DaddyLongLegs

Default Thanks for the help!

mlmitton ---- appreciate the feedback and the suggestions. Your idea of using an earlier kernel was going to be my next and probably last try after trying an earlier version of the drivers.

Just to play it safe I think I'll try something else for a while, like trying the drivers by playing Army Ops or something...

Hope my trial and errors help other newbies with similar issues.
Old 02-27-04, 12:02 AM   #10
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

There is a graphical control program in the drivers 46.20 and newer. It is installed to:
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings

It will allow control of most of the options you find on the graphics card tab in Windows "advanced" options from Display Control Panel.

For changing things like resolution and color depth use the config file directly, or the Display dialog available from the System Preferences on your main menu.
Old 02-27-04, 12:11 AM   #11
hooby

Default wow....youll love me

hey man, your tale of woe is VERY similar to one that i had maybe three months ago. it was my first go at linux as well - and i thought it was a great experience.
good choice with fedora btw, i enjoyed it, and now am getting into the "dirtier" distros.
so to get to the point, i am glad you fixed your problem by using the 4496 drivers - they are solid. i also noted your use of the gcc=32 (or whatever it was).
now, when i did the same thing, i had to do that as well. BUT there is another command that exactly matches your problem -
something along the lines of
IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH
that is pretty self explanatory - and seems to be precisely what you are looking for in the case of using the newest 5xxx drivers. im not sure if that is the exact command, or how to enter it, but a little forum scouring, and you should be there in no time.
another thing - you mentioned wanting a gui driver settings window? as far as i know, official NVIDIA releases havent contained one - but fortunately for us, some people snagged some beta drivers - the 4620's. these are what i used, and fell in love with.......wow........that sounds pretty dorky........
but yes, they are fantastic. excellent performance, stability, AND a great visual settings window, for FSAA and Anisotropy! shazbot!!
there is a good thread for those, and its a sticky main linux forum.
good luck!!!!
i will try to follow up with this and make sure everything goes smoothly for you. my expereince with linux was just so great - and the community was so helpful; i want to make it the same for others!
hooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-04, 12:14 AM   #12
hooby

actually, if i recall it was LordMorgul (see above) who helped me out in my most desparate hours.......wow.......im still such a dork........
thanks so much man!
and back to you longlegs, you'll probably have to compile the driver, so get the matching source RPM for the kernel you are using.
keep on truckin'!
hooby is offline   Reply With Quote