Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-04, 12:54 PM   #1
CodeMonkey

Default feedback requested

hello everyone.

i am a student at a university in ohio, and to be honest i dislike online chatrooms etc, but i am not a microsoft windows fantaic. i have been using various systems and doing work on other platforms and really believe that the real field of computing lies elsewhere

my idea was to see if i could perhaps find others online that shared my views, others who could discause unix and linux so i could learn more and more importantly, not listen to my fellow porgrammers say, "miscroft is the new era, the real way to go"

let me know if i am in the right place. just a student looking to find other enthusists.

CodeMonkey

also, i am having trouble finding a distribution of linux that has an ftp or download that works well.
CodeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-04, 11:34 PM   #2
Bana

Send a message via AIM to Bana

Well hello CodeMonkey, I am not sure what you mean by the first part but if you want people that have generally seen the field from a broad perspective then you have come to the right place as almost everyone has used Windows at least at some point and therefore is able to compare them with hard experience.

As for distributions, I have found that fedora is a nice distribution for the computer literate as it is as stable and easy to use as you want it to be but is ready to push the bleeding edge when you want it (or wish it). The online help and community makes this distribution a personal favorite of mine (although I don't have that much experience). You can find it here with a fast download mirror (at least here in Texas) here. and you can get them through bittorrent if you wish (a p2p downloading solution) here Two great forums for linux are the Fedora Forums and the Linux Questions forums.

HTH (hope that helps)
Old 02-19-04, 10:57 AM   #3
CodeMonkey

Bana,

that helps a ton.

To clarify what i meant in my first portion was that I use computers enough, well enough is an understatement. I am a computer science major, minor in m.i.s. and english. I am beyond my class as far as knowledg eof what computing is and code, but really dont enjoy the fact that none of my classmates use anything but windows.(some think linux is a video game)

perhaps i just think too ideally to become a zombie of microsoft.

not sure if that helps clarify my desire to join the forum, im really just interested in hearing about linux and getting some information.

i am new to the OS, so i recently saw the mac-on-linux patch, which looks sick, though i have not had the time to research it all too much.

-on an ending note, if this is forum is a healthy online community with people who do not create derogitory responces to people then id love to personalize my account and have a place to read up at each day while between classes.

-reason for that is i was on a forum once where people fought like cats and make derogitory and unessasary assumtions and comments, needless to say that experience lessened my regard for internet credibility.

though i hope this forum rocks

CodeMonkey
Old 02-19-04, 11:04 AM   #4
CodeMonkey

btw bana, do i download all six files on that site?
Old 02-19-04, 11:42 AM   #5
CodeMonkey

also, when i dl these files and open them, i get a roxio music program?

is there a certain way i need to open these?

my desire is to partitian my hard-drive on my laptop.

help if you have any info

thanks.

CodeMonkey
Old 02-19-04, 12:44 PM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
also, when i dl these files and open them, i get a roxio music program?

is there a certain way i need to open these?
You do realize that the files you downloaded are merely CD images that need to be burned using a program such as Nero or Easy CD Creator, right? And in order to start installing and partitioning your drives you need to boot off the first disc, just like with Windows, right? It might be just me, but I would think someone who is so far beyond his classmates in computer science school would know this. But what are you gonna do? /shrug

Quote:
perhaps i just think too ideally to become a zombie of microsoft.

Quote:
-reason for that is i was on a forum once where people fought like cats and make derogitory and unessasary assumtions and comments, needless to say that experience lessened my regard for internet credibility.
If you want to be taken seriously, it would help if you didn't make comments like the above. If 'ya don't like it, we ain't holding a gun to your head to stay. But such is the way of the Internet forum, like it or lump it.

Have a good day.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-04, 03:17 PM   #7
CodeMonkey

i had previously tried what you had said, but in fact on first boot was where it loaded that program in windows off the disk. So halt your words champ.

again, i am new to using linux on my own computer. i have partitaned hard drives with windows and mac OSs, but in the manner of which linux must be done.

so yes, i did know what you you thought i did not. i have not had the time as of yet to troubleshoot the situation, so the post was to get feedback to save myself time for when i do.

your post does infact confirm my reasoning, saturnataku, despite your critisim.

Thanks for the help.

Code Monkey.

Quote:
like it or lump it
Old 02-19-04, 07:58 PM   #8
Bana

No, you only need to download the 3 isos that are i386. What you need to do with them is burn them onto a cd making sure you are using them as image files and not just copying them over, then on first boot (restart) you must ensure that your Bios has CDROM as its first boot device. That should get you to the linux setup screen.

Yes it appears that your conjecture was proven correct much to my dismay saturnotaku

I HIGHLY recommend fedora forum and linux questions as this forum quite frankly is a little stale and apparently unfriendly, I think you will have a MUCH better time going there than staying here.

Best regards.

Old 02-19-04, 10:20 PM   #9
CodeMonkey

bana,

fedora is installed on two of my computers. your help was great. i will most likely be playing with it to see what the capabilities are.

let me know if you know any good linux software i should look at.

CodeMonkey
Old 02-19-04, 10:35 PM   #10
Bana

http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml is a great site that lists linux equivalent programs for windows that are in linux in case you need to find one not included. Most of the programs that I use come with fedora already which include:
  • Gimp (Photoshop)
  • Openoffice (Office)
  • Firefox (Internet)
  • Thunderbird (Email)
  • Gaim (Trillian clone kinda)
But feel free to experiment and play with all the cool apps, besides, thats half the fun
Old 02-20-04, 08:53 AM   #11
CodeMonkey

the only set back i am having now is that partitioning my hd on my laptop is problematic.

id like to keep my winxp on that computer for the rest of the semester simply for all the schoolwork that requires the .net program

but i am having trouble partionting that drive, but have only had time to pass over it once, i will have more time this weekend to see if i can get it to work.

im sure that 18gb of free space is enough for the system

CodeMonkey
Old 02-21-04, 03:25 PM   #12
CodeMonkey

The laptop is a dell inspirion, would i have then to erase my winxp upon partitioning fedora, then repartition winxp back on?

anyone had this type of problem?

P.S. Any architect software out there?