Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-04, 04:46 AM   #1
Hates

Default nforce2 no hardware mix, linux

Hello,

I recently bought a mainboard with nforce2 chipset. Man was i in for a surprise, one i installed linux on it and tried to load the sound drivers it all seemed ok. SIGH, not because the driver doesn't support hardware mixing. I tell you what this means (no hardware mixing) for all you non techies. IT MEANS THAT YOU NEVER CAN RUN MORE THAN 1 APPLICATION THAT REQUIRES SOUND! (no software mix does not count). As it is not in NVIDIA's roadmap to support Linux in any descent way don't buy their ever.

Currently thinking about a refund campaign. Return the nvidia mainboard and grapics card.

If everybody does this NVIDIA has to, "if it takes the linux platform seriously", develop descent drivers (nforce and geforce), wich i think i does NOT!

Another option can be when all linux users unite and batter nvidia (and all onther NVIDIA forums) with thousands of requests to build descent drivers and not over the linux users with their current policies.

Eighter way, make a choice, don't stand by!

A concerned linux user,
H.
Hates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 05:28 AM   #2
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Hates First of, stop double posting.

Second, do not use profanity.

Third, I understand you are fustrated by certain things in which your use of Linux maybe hampered but, I may I suggest to you that you ask for help with regards to your problems in the forums nicely. Then maybe someone will help you.

Otherwise if you want to vent off, you own place is a nice place to do so and not in these forums.

Please be warned that since you have already flouted certain rules any further outbursts or stunts like this will result in yourself being banned.

Please keep it civil.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 06:12 AM   #3
Hates

Exclamation Cool down period

Don't get me wrong, i don't do FUD. I'm currently trying to gather as much info as i can to possibly find out the exact inner working of the nforce2 chipset.

Maybe i can rebuild a current kernel driver or build a new one that works ok. NVIDIA currently does not cooperate at al in giving descent information about their stuff .

To the Moderator, sorry, just had to vent my anger in the first post, won't happen again .

Grtz,
H.
Hates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-04, 06:19 AM   #4
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: Cool down period

Quote:
Originally posted by Hates
Don't get me wrong, i don't do FUD. I'm currently trying to gather as much info as i can to possibly find out the exact inner working of the nforce2 chipset.

Maybe i can rebuild a current kernel driver or build a new one that works ok. NVIDIA currently does not cooperate at al in giving descent information about their stuff .

To the Moderator, sorry, just had to vent my anger in the first post, won't happen again .

Grtz,
H.
If you say erm type here what your problem is then maybe some other experienced Linux user can suggest a few things. Not garaunteed but maybe.

NV doesn't subscribe to the open source thing for the linux community as maybe their "IP" maybe at risk if they did so. They try as best they can with Andy Mecham from NV himself sometimes popping over to help.

Now that you have calmed down and it was you rfirst 3 posts, welcome to our forums. But be advised to please keep it civil.

MUYA
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 07:31 AM   #5
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Hates dont Bang your head against a brick wall.
This is a known issue. Most people have opted to install a SBLive 5.1.
30 EURO new.
A more appropriate place to post your rants about nvidia would be here.
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 08:41 AM   #6
netviper13
Treehugger

Default Re: nforce2 no hardware mix, linux

Quote:
Originally posted by Hates
Hello,

I recently bought a mainboard with nforce2 chipset. Man was i in for a surprise, one i installed linux on it and tried to load the sound drivers it all seemed ok. SIGH, not because the driver doesn't support hardware mixing. I tell you what this means (no hardware mixing) for all you non techies. IT MEANS THAT YOU NEVER CAN RUN MORE THAN 1 APPLICATION THAT REQUIRES SOUND! (no software mix does not count). As it is not in NVIDIA's roadmap to support Linux in any descent way don't buy their ever.

Currently thinking about a refund campaign. Return the nvidia mainboard and grapics card.

If everybody does this NVIDIA has to, "if it takes the linux platform seriously", develop descent drivers (nforce and geforce), wich i think i does NOT!

Another option can be when all linux users unite and batter nvidia (and all onther NVIDIA forums) with thousands of requests to build descent drivers and not over the linux users with their current policies.

Eighter way, make a choice, don't stand by!

A concerned linux user,
H.
Doesn't ALSA support hardware mixing w/ nForce boards? I know OSS doesn't, but I could swear ALSA does.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 12:03 PM   #7
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
Doesn't ALSA support hardware mixing w/ nForce boards? I know OSS doesn't, but I could swear ALSA does.
I think you may have hardware-mixing and full-duplex confused.
Alsa supports full-duplex for intel8x0(nfor
Full- duplex is the ability to record and playback simultaneusly.
Hardware-mixing is the abilty to play more than I sound at once.
The Nvidia MCP is perfectly capable of hardware-mixing. But the linux community
does not have a driver which supports this feature.
Nvidia is unwilling to release any technical specifications to ALSA team so that they can write a driver. This is for the reasons allready stated by MUYA.
Maybe somebody will reverse engineer it, as was done with the NIC...
But dont hold your breath.
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote