Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-02, 10:23 PM   #1
ATI LoVeR 9700

Default Looks like I'm buying a nForce2 board

Well, the performance of the board looks great, I just hope stability wise it is as good too.

I have a MSI K7N420D and it's slow and crashes alot. The sound on it is not really 5.1 it's semi.1, and unless you have two sticks of ram, your onboard video sucks too, but that's ok, I don't use that computer much, and I'm willing to give nVidia another chance(in the chipset department, the video card department, is pretty much a hell no, but that's beside the point).

The onboard graphics look nice, but I would have much prefered a crippled Geforce 3 with Direct X 8 functionality, than a Geforce4 MX 440 with no pixel or vertex shaders.

The speed on the board looks great, and so does the sofware I saw.

It has some nice features I like, and seems to be pretty future proof(until Hammer comes out).

I also heard that this was suppose to be an overclockers chipset, not only an OEM use chipset. Maybe the nForce2 without the onboard graphics will be the overclockers board.

Anyways, that's about all, nVidia better not screw this up as I'm looking forward to this board.
ATI LoVeR 9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 02:53 PM   #2
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default cool combo?

Are you going to throw an ATI card on your Nvidia mobo?

Will this make for a new "screen of death" with an Nvidia logo on it?

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 04:23 PM   #3
PCarr78

ha ha ha

good one.

A green "blue"sceen.

STOP: 235y24534692456Nvidia
Video_Card_By_Competitors

If this problem persists replace your video card with a BRAND NEW GF4 Ti4600.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 04:24 PM   #4
volt

Default Re: cool combo?

Quote:
Originally posted by ragejg
Are you going to throw an ATI card on your Nvidia mobo?

Will this make for a new "screen of death" with an Nvidia logo on it?
HAHAHAHA. omg
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 06:10 PM   #5
dlo

Quote:
I have a MSI K7N420D and it's slow and crashes alot. The sound on it is not really 5.1 it's semi.1, and unless you have two sticks of ram, your onboard video sucks too
You wouldn't have those problems if you knew how to build a system properly. I have the same board and it is fast and has never once crashed. Dolby Digital 5.1 works great, and the video is better than any integrated video ever created. All my friends love this thing and are building their own NF2s as soon as they are available.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 07:28 PM   #6
SavagePaladin
info*****

I was under the impression that that MSI one used a cmedia chip instead of the MCP, but I have no clue.

At any rate, the MSI one was according to the nforcers among us the worst of the bunch.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:22 PM   #7
dlo

Quote:
I was under the impression that that MSI one used a cmedia chip instead of the MCP, but I have no clue.
That is true. You do have no clue. The MSI uses the Nvidia MCP more than any other Nforce board. I think it was the Asus that uses the Cmedia chip.
Quote:
At any rate, the MSI one was according to the nforcers among us the worst of the bunch.
That's strange. This is my first MSI but I'm definately impressed.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 08:34 PM   #8
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by dlo
That is true. You do have no clue. The MSI uses the Nvidia MCP more than any other Nforce board. I think it was the Asus that uses the Cmedia chip. That's strange. This is my first MSI but I'm definately impressed.
'more than any other nforce board'?

That's flawed logic...mine uses it to its full extent

I admit my memory may be wrong as far as the cmedia bit, but its what I was told.

MSI was the last one to fix the PCI write issue, by the way, though it is fixed now.

Old 10-04-02, 10:09 PM   #9
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Didn't I read somewhere recently (after it was announced the Epox nForce 2 motherboard would have some kind of audio chip other than the nForce MCP) that all of these motherboards use some kind of third party audio chip to output the sound and that the Soundstorm (nForce Audio MCP) was responsible mostly for Dolby Digital decoding?

Perhaps my memory's going though.
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-02, 11:07 PM   #10
SavagePaladin
info*****

Quote:
Originally posted by CainSyris
Didn't I read somewhere recently (after it was announced the Epox nForce 2 motherboard would have some kind of audio chip other than the nForce MCP) that all of these motherboards use some kind of third party audio chip to output the sound and that the Soundstorm (nForce Audio MCP) was responsible mostly for Dolby Digital decoding?

Perhaps my memory's going though.
The other chip is only for digital->analog type stuff. Has little to do with the other chip, especially if you do dolby digital

by the way, thats ENcoding...

and I know what you read, probably....it just wasn't correct.
Old 10-08-02, 10:39 AM   #11
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I sincerely hope the nForce2 works is more friendly with RAM than the original. My OCZ RAM would not work properly in my MSI nForce. And it wasn't the RAM because it worked perfectly in an ECS K7S5A, Iwill XP333 and Abit KR7A. All three of these boards use different chipsets (SiS 735, ALi Magik 1, VIA KT266A) so that means it was the nForce was at fault.

I'm expecting much better out of NVIDIA this time around. The concept of the nForce is absolutely fantastic and I look forward to seeing what NV can do with the second version of this board.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 03:18 AM   #12
Ascario

I'm looking forward to a review of the Epox 8RDA+. If its performance is pleasing and it offers good overclocking options, it might become my now boardien! It should be a good replacement for my Asus A7N266-C WOL.
If it disappoints however, seeing how there's no real overclocking alternative with an nForceČ PP (abit will use their crappy cut down softmenu1 again), i'll have to go for intel's granite bay.

It's so sad all manufacturers decided to make the nForceČ PP into a budget solution again. I could understand this for the nForce1 as performance was "only" on par with VIA's KT266A at the time and the tweaking options were limited, but i simply don't get it with the nForceČ.
Oh well, maybe someday they'll see the light.