Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-02, 05:10 PM   #1
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Default Where the heck is nForce2?

I haven't read any new news....anybody else have some information? When can be actually buy these - Instead of gawking at the reviews...?
One thing they haven't confirmed (i think most review sites suck)...is the 1/6th PCI divider...does the board have this option?
SocketAzzWipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 06:13 PM   #2
StealthHawk

actually we still haven't seen any reviews. they were based on pre-production boards and judging from comments at different hardware sites from the Athlon 2800+ "launch" the mobos used certainly weren't ready for prime time just yet. i'm going to take a guess that they will be out at the end of the month, but that's just my feeling, i have no evidence to support it
Old 10-12-02, 11:18 PM   #3
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
actually we still haven't seen any reviews. they were based on pre-production boards and judging from comments at different hardware sites from the Athlon 2800+ "launch" the mobos used certainly weren't ready for prime time just yet. i'm going to take a guess that they will be out at the end of the month, but that's just my feeling, i have no evidence to support it
Well even though its a pre-production sample, it works doesn't it? The reviewers should atleast mention what kind of overclocking capabilities(divider settings) one will expect once this chipset is out in the market...
Old 10-12-02, 11:21 PM   #4
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

why? you won't even be able to use the board yet, and improvements could be made from now till release date. not like it would help your buying decision because when it is finally in stores, and actually reviews come out, you can find out the pci divider, etc.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 11:34 PM   #5
SocketAzzWipe
Long Live The Crowbar

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
why? you won't even be able to use the board yet, and improvements could be made from now till release date. not like it would help your buying decision because when it is finally in stores, and actually reviews come out, you can find out the pci divider, etc.
It does...because I want to switch over to Intel if Nforce2 turns out to be another KT400 with dual channel DDR option...
Old 10-13-02, 04:09 AM   #6
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by SocketAzzWipe

It does...because I want to switch over to Intel if Nforce2 turns out to be another KT400 with dual channel DDR option...
not sure what you mean by that, as the nforce2 substantially outperformed the KT400.

anyway, it "worked" but there were stability problems. my guess is that overclocking would have yielded even more trouble.
Old 10-14-02, 09:36 AM   #7
Spectral
DJ Spectral

Stability problems....

Which means the reviews you saw, and the hyped up performance will be cut back by at LEAST 10% to stabilize the board. You watch...

If not, then Im wrong and everyone is happy.
AthlonXP1900+@2100+, Abit KR7A-Raid, Radeon 9700 Pro (core370/mem666), 256Megs PC2100, 2x 40gig WD7200, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, KDS VS 19" CRT, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s, Creative 12x DVD, TDK 24x CDRW, 500Watt PSU, Win2kSP3.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-02, 03:48 PM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I am beginning to think nVIDIA tried to diversify too quickly. They should have stuck to just making graphics chipsets. They are already loosing ground to ATI because they have been spending time on other ventures.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-02, 04:30 AM   #9
Richthofen

Until now Nvidia is only loosing market share to Intel which would have happened anyway no matter if the NV30 is out or not.
On the other hand they have nforce2 ready and make revenue.
The shipments started at the beginning of october.
The Hammer chipset from Nvidia is ready too. I think the only thing they are working on right now is the hammer chipset with integrated graphics because that is a littlebit more difficult because of the integrated memory controller in Hammer.
If you are a CEO of a company you have to think about certain things.

First you are in a position of having around 45% market share in the graphics market and 0% in the chipset market.
Nvidia is a growth company, so now think about it.
Where is it easier to gain market share?
Definetly in the chipset market. Why?
Because you start from 0% and the competition on the chipset market is easy to beat.
VIA with its stability issues and bugs is not the brand people like that much.
With the nforce2 Nvidia will gain a lot market share probably more than the 5% they gained with nforce1.
Nforce2 is already in everyones mouth and with upcomming reviews people will know that VIA is beaten to hell on the performance side and feature side. Until know the most stable plattform with the best and easy to handle drivers is nforce1 and i have no doubt nforce2 will continue to be that.

Should be good times for Nvidia in the OEM market place and probably good for AMD too.
Just ask you that little question
"why in all those years AMD did not get any important OEM business line pc deal?"
The first important one they got was some weeks ago with HP and nForce1 as the chipset plattform.
In all those years they did not get even one important deal with via as chipset plattform.

Just ask yourself that little question and then you know why Nvidia entered this marketplace.
Richthofen is offline   Reply With Quote