Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-24-04, 01:31 AM   #1
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Internect Connection Sharing problem: Win98 machine not working with Win2k server

OK, I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm trying to get Internet Connection Sharing up and running, but whenever I check "enable internet connection sharing for this device" on my internet profile and click OK, I get the following error:

"Error 783: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. The LAN connection selected as the private network is either not present, or is disconnected from the network. Please ensure that the LAN adaptor is connected before enabling Internet Connection Sharing."

Now this is a bit strange, because the windows support page says it happens when another computer on the same network has the IP 192.168.0.1 (the IP ICS sets your computer to when you enable it), however I get the SAME error whether I'm connected to the network or not, and I CAN connect to other devices when I'm hooked up to the network. I'm using a D-link DFE-530TX+ network card under Windows 2000, with whatever drivers came with the card from 2001 (I've tried downloading new drivers, but I need to upgrade to IE6.0 first because the page doesn't work right with IE5.0).

So, is there any easy fix, or is there another program that can be used to share an internet connection over a network without requiring any extra software to be installed on the other computers? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: changed topic name since I fixed that problem.
Edit2: oh, I guess I can only change the post subject and not the thread name...grr.

Last edited by Edge; 02-25-04 at 02:23 AM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 03:50 PM   #2
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

How is your host computer receiving it's internet connection? I ask this because I notice that you only mention one network card as as far as I know you need two since connecting to the net thru USB won't allow you to share the connection w/ ICS. Also remember that using this method you can only connect one other computer to the host and you must use a crossover cable.

If you're using DSL then I suggest you pick up any cheapo hub as this is what I've been using for about a year now without a hitch. When using cable internet before that I had no choice but to go with a router, although ICS did work by using two network cards on that W2K computer. I just needed more than one additional connection.....
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 11:43 PM   #3
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah umm, I kinda only need 1 network card because I get my internet through my 56k modem (you know, those things that most of you people gave up a few years ago for broadband). I do actually have a router which I'm using to connect my computer to my other devices, but I get the same error with or without it plugged in, whether I'm dialed up to the internet or not. I've also tried just using a regular hub instead of my router, and I get the exact same effect. The strange thing is I distinctly remember setting up ICS before and getting it to work fine with my current setup, the only difference is back then I was using Windows 98.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate the help.

Edit: Success!...kinda. Well I was able to enable ICS on my win2k machine (apperently I had to connect it to a DIFFERENT hub, to make a long story short), however my Win98 computer still doesn't connect. My other machine (Win2k...kinda) works just fine, but for some reason my Win98 machine only gets a "page cannot be displayed". Are there some special settings I have to use on my Win98 computer to get it to work with my Win2k ICS? I set the Win98 machine to "automaticly detect settings", but it seems as with almost all other automated services, it doesn't work. The two computers can see eachother on the network, they just can't share internet it seems.

Last edited by Edge; 02-25-04 at 02:20 AM.
Old 02-25-04, 10:11 AM   #4
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

I had the thought that you might be on dialup, but I dimissed the idea as I didn't think anyone would want to share dialup in 2003! I won't get into that as I'm sure you'd be using dsl/cable if you could.

I'm glad to see you finally got it working and it's funny because I had the same problem trying to get a Win98 machine connected to my 2k machine a few years ago. Same thing as you, I could get the two PCs to see each other and even access the files like a normal network, but I couldn't get the internet to work. After upgrading the 98 machine to 2K, I've never had the problem again. All my PCs are now either 2K or XP and networking problems are a thing of the past.....for now.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 02:31 PM   #5
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally posted by schuey74
I had the thought that you might be on dialup, but I dimissed the idea as I didn't think anyone would want to share dialup in 2003! I won't get into that as I'm sure you'd be using dsl/cable if you could.
Haha, yeah you got that right. NOTHING viable is availible around here, and I do mean nothing. But the main reason I want to set up ICS is so that my parents can get on the internet with their computer while I'm browsing with mine. It might not be fast (for either of us), but it's a lot more convenient than disconnecting, dialing the internet on the other computer, disconnecting it, and then re-dialing on mine, especially when they're probably only going to be on for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Also I have to set up ICS so that I could connect to Xbox Live to make a Phantasy Star Online character (probably not going to try playing games online with it because it would be too laggy, but my friend had an extra trial and the game was cheap, so I figured why not).

So I'm kinda outta luck with my Win98 machine? Odd that you can't share internet between two machines with different versions of Windows on it...it seems like you can connect everything else from game consoles to Linux boxes to it just fine, but for some reason Win98 doesn't work? So much for support from Microsoft
Well, I've though about installing Win2k on my parent's computer, but do you think a 200 mhz computer with 64 megs of ram would be able to run it at all? Even with Win98 it seems to have to use virtual memory every once in a while, and I have no idea how much more of a memory hog Win2k would be.