Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-02, 04:13 AM   #1
StealthHawk

Default Trident Returns

http://www.eetimes.com/semi/news/OEG20020729S0032

what do you guys think? they're planning a comeback with a tiling architecture. here's the interesting part of the article
Quote:
Chip makers are working with a beta version of DX 9 now. A final version is expected in the fall. But "this Christmas there will be zero games using DX 9. Those games won't arrive until Christmas of 2003," said Nguyen, noting Trident's focus on DX 8-class games, though it supports the DX 9 beta.

The Trident XP4 comes in three versions. The T3 runs at 300 MHz, supports up to 256 Mbytes of 700-MHz DDR memory and uses a 128-bit memory interface. The T2 version scales the core back to 250 MHz and DDR support to 64 Mbytes running at 500 MHz. And the T1 runs at the same speeds as T2 but uses a 64-bit memory bus.

All the parts support a 4x AGP interface to the host, a 64-bit, 66-MHz PCI interface and come in a 612-bump BGA package. They are made in a 0.13-micron process at United Microelectronic Corp. and are available now in prices ranging from about $31 to $40 each in quantity.
it doesn't sound like Trident will compete with high end offerings from nvidia or ATI, but it looks like this thing might give a ti4600 a run for its money in terms or performance and price.
Old 07-30-02, 07:54 AM   #2
Megatron
Powered by 6800GT

Thats great. The more players in the business the better for all of us. Competition breeds innovation...and makes prices alot more affordable.
Windows XP
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 09:12 AM   #3
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

WOW! I didn't think Trident even existed anymore. This is great, for too long now ATI and Nvidia have been the only players. Now we got lots of choices! Trident, SIS Xabre, Kyro, ATI, Nvidia, Matrox... I LOVE THIS!!! It'll mean lower prices too!

Who knows, maybe next we'll hear of AMD making a 3d chipset...mmmmm... drool
Old 07-30-02, 10:47 AM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gator
Trident, SIS Xabre, Kyro, ATI, Nvidia, Matrox... I LOVE THIS!!! It'll mean lower prices too!
Granted, each of these chips has their own niche in the market, but for the gamer (and most OEM applications) the only two legitimate choices are nVidia and ATI. The Xabre doesn't have a proven reliability record (which OEM's like) and is far too underpowered for the hardcore gamer. Kyro is a joke so we won't even go there. The Parhelia is too little too late (unless you crave 3-monitor gaming and applications).

This Trident card is interesting, though. The company does have a pretty strong foothold in the low to mid-end notebook market so they're still around. This new desktop card could be something worthwhile if they price it right, especially if it sports some DX9 features.

Now don't get me wrong, I like competition as much as the next guy. But looking at the big picture, the competition hasn't been strong enough where a third contender stands a chance against NV and ATI. Who knows, Trident might be able to change that a bit provided they play their cards right.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 11:06 AM   #5
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

BITBOYS!!! OY
Old 07-30-02, 11:49 AM   #6
SnakeEyes

Send a message via ICQ to SnakeEyes
Talking

OY!

If they ever actually put a chip/card on the market, I'd say it's time for me to start repenting in preparation for the end.
Old 07-30-02, 01:05 PM   #7
Megatron