Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How do you buy your games?
Big box retail (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc) 10 23.81%
Independent retail/Web (EB, Gamestop) 13 30.95%
Other retail or online shops 10 23.81%
I'm a warez wh0re 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-04, 11:47 PM   #13
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Buy games? What's that

Seriously though, I get almost all my games for cheap when they go on clearence at the big stores like Bestbuy, Target, and Shopko. I rarely buy games right when they come out anymore. But I do pick up a few deals from EB and Gamestop, especially when they have their buy-2-get-1-free deal, or their 30% off Dreamcast stuff clearance that I took advantage of a few months ago.

BTW, what is this Edge card? What kind of deals can you get at EB with it? The sound of it intruiges me...not to mention it would be pretty appropriate for me
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-04, 11:59 PM   #14
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Buy games? What's that

Seriously though, I get almost all my games for cheap when they go on clearence at the big stores like Bestbuy, Target, and Shopko. I rarely buy games right when they come out anymore. But I do pick up a few deals from EB and Gamestop, especially when they have their buy-2-get-1-free deal, or their 30% off Dreamcast stuff clearance that I took advantage of a few months ago.

BTW, what is this Edge card? What kind of deals can you get at EB with it? The sound of it intruiges me...not to mention it would be pretty appropriate for me
The "Edge" card (no, not your driver's licence) is a card you get for like $10 if I remember right. Anyway, once you have it, it is good for life. You get an extra 10% off any used games PC or console....Doesn't sound like a whole lot but it does add up. Plus, I think it helps them "trust" you more when you go to return something. They're always good about returns but are even more "at ease" when you whip out/mention your "Edge" card.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 12:57 AM   #15
UDawg
Retired spammer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
EB.. they usually have the best prices and I can trade older games in
What he said. Trading in the games is so cool, sure you don't get the best deal but if you get 20$ back out of a game you will never play again then I am happy.

The guys at the local EB know very little about puters but are very cool and willing to learn. They have a really cool manager so I like spending my money there.
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 01:09 AM   #16
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by UDawg
What he said. Trading in the games is so cool, sure you don't get the best deal but if you get 20$ back out of a game you will never play again then I am happy.

The guys at the local EB know very little about puters but are very cool and willing to learn. They have a really cool manager so I like spending my money there.
I am lucky... I have 3 eb's within 10miles

and all of them have very good kids in them... they all know about the games and the one closest to me has a MASSIVE range of used games

nothing like getting a whole bunch of barely 1 month old games for ultra cheapies
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 01:56 AM   #17
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wait, the Edge card is good for LIFE? Wow, I thought it was only for like a year...I'm definatly going to have to check that out then, I'm sure I've bought over $100 in used stuff from there already

Doesn't that $10 also come with a 1 year magazine subscription or something? I think I remember one of the EB employees telling me about a subscription to GMR and a discount card that must've been the Edge card.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 07:38 AM   #18
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by Edge
Wait, the Edge card is good for LIFE? Wow, I thought it was only for like a year...I'm definatly going to have to check that out then, I'm sure I've bought over $100 in used stuff from there already

Doesn't that $10 also come with a 1 year magazine subscription or something? I think I remember one of the EB employees telling me about a subscription to GMR and a discount card that must've been the Edge card.
Well the dood told me "for life", but you could be right about one year. Yeah, GMR...hehehe...I only received about two issues but no worries cause I never missed it. It's crap-a-rific! Let's just say that it's no CPU Magazine.
Old 02-25-04, 09:25 AM   #19
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I only buy from 3 spots.

Amazon.com-Free shippping and they always have a bargain along with almost every game ever made..
ebgames.com/The EB store-Great for trades
gogamer.com-You wont find a cheaper spot on the net.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 09:34 AM   #20
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
That's messed up. But so far I'm glad to see that so many of you are supporting the independent shops.
A multi national chain is far from indie. You want one of those kickass one off stores like the one not too far from where I work, they have all kinds of random foreign games, classic systems as well as all the new stuff at great prices.

I tend to get a game online from the cheapest place, or in retail if im wandering around with nothing to do. There needs to be an option for "All of the above"
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-04, 11:23 AM   #21
theultimo
DoD + Sharepoint=Headache

Gamestop/EB is too far from my house, so its usually wal-mart/online at amazon.com for me :\

Other then that, demo freak

EDIT: ?? wow, censorship surprises me..
theultimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 12:07 PM   #22
Smokey
Team Rainbow

When I lived in the UK, I bought all my games from EB in Oxford street, since moving to France, I order all my games from www.gameplay.com in the UK.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 12:52 PM   #23
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sytaylor
A multi national chain is far from indie. You want one of those kickass one off stores like the one not too far from where I work, they have all kinds of random foreign games, classic systems as well as all the new stuff at great prices.
We have those kinds of shops around here, but the problem is they're waaaaaaay overpriced on most things. Knowing some EB managers really helps when you're looking for some hard-to-find stuff.

BTW, the Edge card is only good for 10 months at a time. That's the only thing I don't like about it. At least give me a full year for my $10.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-04, 12:59 PM   #24
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
BTW, the Edge card is only good for 10 months at a time. That's the only thing I don't like about it. At least give me a full year for my $10.
Dang, I knew that I shouldn't have taken what that dood told me for fact...prolly in the fine print somewhere "...and the fine print taketh away"
Yeah, 10 months is lame...last Edge card for me most likely. Gogamer.com baby!!!