Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-29-04, 06:12 PM   #1
ftropea

Default Redhat 9.0 - Nvidia Driver - Installed but not listed?

Hi,

Just installed a fresh copy of RedHat 9.0. Then I dl'd and installed the latest nvidia driver for x86 Linux. It installed w/o error but when I go into X, I don't see it listed under the display driver list.. Also, I tried manually editing the xconfig but when X tries to load, the display just kinda blinks in and out - doesn't seem to find the driver.

Any ideas?

The card is a Gforce 5700 Ultra..
System is a Dell 8300, 3Ghz, 512MB Ram..

Thanks,

Frank
ftropea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-04, 06:54 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The driver will NOT be listed in the RedHat display config tool, or in redhat-config-xfree86 (the terminal based tool).
Go to runlevel 3, telinit 3 works or edit /etc/inittab. Make these changes manually, then telinit 5 (use startx if you're not using graphical login).

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "TI4400"
#       Driver      "nv"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4400]"
        Option      "NvAGP" "1"
EndSection
Edit the file /etc/X11/XF86Config similarly, commenting out the nv line and adding the nvidia line. You can simply replace nv if you prefer, but keeping the other line is handy for your future reference. You must also comment out the line:
Code:
#       Load  "dri"
Then load the module manually to verify there are no errors. Use:
modprobe nvidia

If you see no problems, other than a warning about the module 'tainting' the kernel (which is normal), you can proceed to boot into X. It should not fail, if it does then you need to review the log file for the cause, see /var/log/XFree86.0.log (post it here for more help, along with your config file).
Old 03-01-04, 03:27 PM   #3
mlmitton

"ftropea"?

You must be one and the same from the ol' TIQ days! I had a different log-in over there (Michael). I rarely visit any more, but you might be interested in the current thread where Kemper is answering questions.

Anyway, the advice from Lord Morgul looks good. I don't have anything to add (except a hello), but I'll monitor this thread in case you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Michael
mlmitton is offline   Reply With Quote