Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-02, 03:19 PM   #109
RonO

Re-installation did the trick. No idea what's different this time, but at least I've got the driver installed and loading with X. I'll see to any tweaking over the next few days.

Thanks to all who have helped.
Old 10-27-02, 09:41 PM   #110
mp3tricord

Default Possible Solution to this issue

Quote:
Originally posted by uid(zer0)
I also have problems with RH 8.

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
And I get:
Installing NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
warning: user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: group buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning: group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Segmentation fault

I have all these dependencies installed. Could anyone help me.

I had this issue as well. For me it had to do with upgrading the kernel and trying to compile the kernel nvidia srpm without rebooting to load the updated kernel.

If your upgraded to the new kernel it should look something like this

[root@localhost jason]# rpm -qa |grep kernel
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-9
kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0
kernel-source-2.4.18-17.8.0
kernel-2.4.18-14

You will notice that the new kernel-source package overwrote the old one. So my system was running the old kernel and could not reference its source. Rebooting of cource will fix this.

mp3tricord

Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-02, 08:52 AM   #111
geekrockstud

Thumbs down XServer Hangs

I have compiled and installed the latest linux drivers with no problems on the latest RH 8.0 kernel. However, on booting into the XServer my system hangs on a black screen for about 15 seconds or more before the nvidia logo pops up. Afterwards everything is fine. Is this an issue others are experiencing, and if so is there a work around?

Thanks,

Joshua
Old 10-28-02, 04:48 PM   #112
hiefman

Woohoo i found the perfect solution for my problem. I replaced the vga card by my sweet ATI Radeon, everything is stable and damn fast now :P
So, my tip to all of u having problems out there:

GET A PROPER VGA!!! *g*
Old 10-30-02, 02:57 PM   #113
I luv Ut2003

Dear Linux users,
I'm a total Linux newbie. I want to play Ut2003 on Linux, so I followed all the intructions posted by STEEL1. I did a fresh install of Redhat 80 (from the 3 cd's) and installed all the packages concerning kernel headers and development tools.

But step 4 doesn't work for me, it gives an error concerning "Unresolved symbols" while installing the new NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm. I did the install in a Gnome terminal as STEEL1 did. The error is this:

[root@localhost /]# rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm --force
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:NVIDIA_kernel ########################################### [100%]

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R9135cb9c
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver:

Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.

/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed

NVdriver installed successfully

================
By the way my console says:
"Kernel 2.4.18-14 on an i686."
Is this good if i'm running Linux 8.0 on an ordinary athlon system (i.e. shouldn't it be an i386?)
Also I used the --force option because I tried a few times before..

Can anyone please help me?

Irin
Old 10-31-02, 03:23 AM   #114
moshu

I tried to install NVdriver (last one), but in Gnome, the rpmbuild --rebuild was freezing and nothing was done. With 2990.src.rpm i made to rebuild the driver, but when to install it I got this error:
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: The module you are trying to load (/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver) is compiled with a gcc
version 2 compiler, while the kernel you are running is compiled with
a gcc version 3 compiler. This is known to not work.

Ok, I said then. I recompiled nvdriver 30.. from a tarball in text mode and it worked, but I have to install NVIDIA_GLX with --force because I didn't find on the system NVIDIA_kernel.
Now it works Xwindows, but the job isn't OK.
Old 11-01-02, 04:52 AM   #115
enigmae

Unhappy Geforce 2 MX 400 and RH8

I am having similar problems, I am using a VIA KT133 mobo, with
Geforce 2MX 400 64MB AGP
Athlon 1GHz

The system was working fine using nvdriver, but wanted better 3d support, so downloaded per instructions on nvidia's site,

I recompiled my kernel (2.4.18-14 with some added file system support)
then compiled nvidia source rpm,
install was good,

installed glx, went good,

modified the XFree86 file,
changed nv to nvidia,
and commented out dri stuff.

glx was included in modules,

however when i startx even with -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5 I get a screen with a bunch of garbled ascii text, and the keyboard appears to be working num lock works, (but ctrlalt+del, BkSp etc don't do anything)

I tryed changing the option "NvAgp" "1" from 0->3 no changes,
in the /var/log/XFree86.0.log, there are no errors

in /var/log/messages there are no errors.

it just shows me doing a bunch of hard-resets (thank god for ext3 haha)

I was reading about AGP problems with VIA, but they seemed like they were performance issues not garbled text screen.

Any insite would be greatly used.

Thanks,

Enigmae
Old 11-02-02, 01:35 AM   #116
jharris

Default Re: Re: Redhat 8.0 reboot with NVidia 3123

I was also having this same problem. I stumbled onto a fix which seems to work for me. I added the following line to my Device section of my XFree86 config file:

Option "NvAGP" "1"

Maybe this will work for others as well.

My system:
Athlon XP 1600+
GeForce 2 GTS/Pro
Gigabyte GA-7DX motherboard

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaji Uaamanen
I have the same reboot problem. I have RH 8.0 upgraded from RH 7.3, I've always used self compiled NVIDIA_kernel (& _GLX). Both compile cleanly with gcc (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7). When I start X-server, system reboots (mostly, sometimes only freezes). XFree86 log shows no error, since it usually doesn't get written. If it gets written, it shows no error, "nvidia" gets loaded, but the file ends randomly.

I've tried BIOS settings with PNP-os and without, with no help.

System "nv" drivers work, same as glx etc. What is this problem related? Could it be old BIOS (I have not updated, since there was no need to)?
Previous nvidia drivers have worked with RH 7.1, but with RH 7.3 all glx apps froze; Chromium froze the whole system. With no 3D-applications nvidia drivers worked with RH 7.3. I thought that upg to RH 8.0 would solve this...

Any help appreciated...

System:
MSI K7T Turbo (Via KT133A chip)
AMD 1.2 GHz Athlon TB
Geforce 2MX/400 64MB
Linux (RH 8.0) 2.4.18-14

Old 11-04-02, 05:19 AM   #117
kiwistag

Unhappy 2.4.18-17.0

I've found out that it seems that with the newer Redhat 8.0 kernel, with a successful rpm rebuild of the kernel source, it says it can't find the NVdriver and X-Windows won't start.

However, using the SAME (updated RPM) package under 2.4.18-4 it works fine..

Even in regards to the above that I tried previously. For now I'm sitting on the old kernel.
Hurry up RedHat, migrate to 2.4.19!
Old 11-04-02, 06:58 AM   #118
Omnifarious
Linux User #149300

Send a message via AIM to Omnifarious Send a message via Yahoo to Omnifarious
Default Perhaps this is a silly question, but...

Which kernel did you have booted at the time of the compile? Was it 2.4.18-4, or the newer one?

You have to have the kernel that you intend to install the drivers for booted at the time you compile. You may know this already, I just thought I'd bring it up in case you didn't.
Omnifarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-02, 04:45 PM   #119
kiwistag

Default Re: Perhaps this is a silly question, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Omnifarious
Which kernel did you have booted at the time of the compile? Was it 2.4.18-4, or the newer one?

You have to have the kernel that you intend to install the drivers for booted at the time you compile. You may know this already, I just thought I'd bring it up in case you didn't.
When I compiled for 2.4.18-17.0 I was booted with that kernel. Installed with that kernel, etc as well
Old 11-06-02, 01:16 AM   #120
mhbengal

Default NVIDIA working but no high resolution

The instaructions worked like a charm with Red Hat 8.0 on my Dell Laptop running NVIDIA GeForce2 GO. The only thing is that in DOESNOT give a resolution of more than 1024x768 and a 16 bit depth even though I have an entry for 32 bit and 1152x864 resolution.

Any suggestions and workarounds for this ??

Mustapha