Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-12-02, 05:28 PM   #145
tmcneill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I successfully installed the drivers on my RH8 system. Everything seems to work correctly now. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm still using GeForce4 Generic, should I be picking something else? I have a GeForce 4.

2. The enable 3d hardware acceleration option is disabled under the display configuration. Do I need to do something else to enable it? Is it doing it anyway?

Thanks,
Tom
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 05:35 PM   #146
Office_Rabbit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7
Default

GLcore wasn't there - and it never said nv anywhere...

edit: I am using a RH 8.0 fresh install.
Office_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 06:15 PM   #147
mwgoodman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by tmcneill
I successfully installed the drivers on my RH8 system. Everything seems to work correctly now. But I have a couple of questions:

1. I'm still using GeForce4 Generic, should I be picking something else? I have a GeForce 4.

2. The enable 3d hardware acceleration option is disabled under the display configuration. Do I need to do something else to enable it? Is it doing it anyway?

Thanks,
Tom
When you startx there will be a white screen with the NVIDIA logo, only shows for about 1/2 second or so. If you get that it's working.

If not the XF86Config-4 file needs to be edited, the GUI xconfig should not be used anymore because it does not know about the 3rd party NVIDIA drivers.
mwgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 06:18 PM   #148
mwgoodman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Office_Rabbit
GLcore wasn't there - and it never said nv anywhere...

edit: I am using a RH 8.0 fresh install.
Can you attach the XF86Config-4 file so I can look at it?

also if you do an:

rpm -qa | grep NVIDIA
(just in case the | is normaly shift + \ key)

do you see

NVIDIA_GLX...
NVIDIA_kernel...

Last edited by mwgoodman; 11-12-02 at 06:22 PM.
mwgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 06:23 PM   #149
Office_Rabbit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7
Default

# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
Identifier "DevInputMice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Hansol Electronics Mazellan700P"
HorizSync 30.0 - 85.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
ModeLine "1400x1050" 129.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 151.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 162.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 184.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

thats it :S
Office_Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 06:38 PM   #150
mwgoodman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Office_Rabbit
# XFree86 4 configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# RgbPath is the location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
# no need to change the default.

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.

RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
FontPath "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "glx"
Load "record"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
# Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"

# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
# Option "XkbDisable"

# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
# Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
# Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# or:
# Option "XkbLayout" "de"
# Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
# Or if you just want both to be control, use:
# Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
#
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
Identifier "DevInputMice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Hansol Electronics Mazellan700P"
HorizSync 30.0 - 85.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 120.0
ModeLine "1400x1050" 129.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 151.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 162.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
ModeLine "1400x1050" 184.0 1400 1464 1656 1960 1050 1051 1054 1100 +hsync +vsync
Option "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "vesa" Change this to "nvidia" if you see that the NVIDIA rpms are installed as per previous post
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Modes "800x600"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
Group 0
Mode 0666
EndSection

thats it :S
looks a little differnt from mine but the one change should be all you need. Let me know if it works.
mwgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 12:11 AM   #151
Neoprene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13
Thumbs up kernel 2.4.18.-18.8.0 works too with Nvidia :-)

see above
The up2date'r gave me a problem installing the new kernel, maybe because of a /boot/grub on another unmounted drive(?) and none on my normal drive.

rpm -ivh --force kernel-2.4.18.-18.8.0.athlon.rpm fixed the situation after disconnecting the unmounted drive's power cable.

Last edited by Neoprene; 11-20-02 at 07:36 PM.
Neoprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-02, 12:17 AM   #152
Neoprene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13
Default OK

it works
Neoprene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-02, 12:57 AM   #153
vmcdirect
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3
Default Twinview works RH80 1600x1200 24 bit Geforce4 7200 Ti

In case anyone is interested, I was able to troubleshoot my problems getting dual 21 inch monitors working under Twinview. Here's my post with the XF86Config file:

(the key was: ConnectedMonitor "DFP,DFP")

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...0999#post40999
vmcdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-02, 03:30 PM   #154
KJ_Kool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3
Question Re: Redhat 8.0 NVIDIA - INSTRUCTIONS - updated for new kernel-2.4.18-17.8.0

I have tried about everything in this forum and I'm still not able to get this to work. I am having to use a spare PCI video card to get the graphical interface working. Here are the mcahine's specs:

Compaq D315 business PC :
AMD Athlon XP processors, 2000+ (1.67GHz) to 2600+ (2.13GHz)
NVIDIA nForce 220 chipset with integrated NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics

Any help would be greatly appreciated
KJ_Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-02, 08:45 PM   #155
Neoprene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 13
Default

KJ_Kool: Are you in the wrong forum?
Your main issue is with the nForce motherboard and the Linux kernel, not the Video Card drivers.
Neoprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 08:01 PM   #156
subudu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 1
Default 3D Acceleration???

Hi all!

I've installed the 31.23 Driver, changed my XF86Config and the X-Server works fine(I can see the Nvidia image at the start).

But I don't know if 3D Acceleration is enabled.

I have used SuSe 8.1(2.4.18) before. After the installation of the 31.23 Driver there(which was carried out by SuSe installation and upgrading supporting tool yast2), I had to activate 3DAcceleration additionally. But under Red Hat I don't know is it enabled or not?

So can anyone tell me a tool with which I could check if 3DAcceleration is enabled?
Or can anyone tell me the config file I have to alter for 3DA..

I just wanna know.
Thx for help:
subudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NVIDIA Showcases GPU Breakthroughs at IBC 2012 News Archived News Items 0 09-07-12 10:10 AM
The Nvidia Forums Are Still Not Available, Finally We Know Why News Archived News Items 0 07-14-12 05:10 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 08:35 PM
NVidia Drivers HowTo for RedHat 8.0 needed eduardp NVIDIA Linux 10 10-04-02 03:59 AM
Redhat 8.0, no rpm, can't compile. Ironphil NVIDIA Linux 6 10-02-02 03:13 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.