Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-02, 03:00 PM   #157
Harpune

I get all these errors, as well:

install: cannot stat `NVdriver': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.49900 (%install)

RPM build errors:
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root
user buildmeister does not exist - using root
group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.49900 (%install)

I have checked and i have all the header files, source, compilers... etc. but somehow it doesn't seem tbe finding them or something... i have tried tarballs, and all hte src.rpms but i still cant get his thing running... its frustrating.

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

-Shriver
Old 11-25-02, 07:31 PM   #158
Neoprene

if you get compile problems, like I did, the booted kernel-vesrion did not match my kernel source version. I has a /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0 installed but I booted an earlier kernel that for some reason did not write to GRUB as intended. The rpm -ivh --force <new kernel name>.rpm installed the kernel and fixed GRUB and wrote to the MBR.
Neoprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-02, 12:15 PM   #159
Harpune

Default thanks

I guess that was the proble. i just up2dated my kernel and kernel source... and it comiled adn ran like a dream... thanks a lot for the help.

-Shriver
Old 11-30-02, 03:15 PM   #160
Imoq

Default Problem with a

I have tried to install NVdriver unsucessfully in a geoforce2 mx400, but everytime I try to load the module, I get this error message:

[root@localhost root]# modprobe NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R9135cb9c
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed

So, the problem seems to be:

unresolved symbol irq_stat_R9135cb9c

I have seen two users with the same error message, but nobody seem to have solved the issue.

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 12-01-02, 09:31 AM   #161
mwgoodman

Default Re: Problem with a

Quote:
Originally posted by Imoq
I have tried to install NVdriver unsucessfully in a geoforce2 mx400, but everytime I try to load the module, I get this error message:

[root@localhost root]# modprobe NVdriver
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: unresolved symbol irq_stat_R9135cb9c
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
assistance, only they can help you.
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-18.8.0/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver: insmod NVdriver failed

So, the problem seems to be:

unresolved symbol irq_stat_R9135cb9c

I have seen two users with the same error message, but nobody seem to have solved the issue.

Any help will be appreciated.
This happens when the NV driver is not compiled for your running kernel.

You need to recompile the NV driver and reinstall. Look at previous post in this thread, on page 5 & 6 if you have trouble doing this.
mwgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 02:21 PM   #162
Dammedfool

Default 3D Acceleration

I have followed the instructions and everything works fine, well allmost. The only thing that does not seem to work is that the 3D Harware accelaration checkbox is greyed out. As a total newbie I have no idea if this is important or not (although I suspect it is). If I want to play games like UT2003 do I need this and if so how do I enable it. any help or clues will be greatly appreciated.
I have a Gforce4 mx 440 card with 64Meg DDR
AMD 2000+
512 M DDR
Red hat 8.0
Old 12-02-02, 08:16 PM   #163
mwgoodman

Default Re: 3D Acceleration

Quote:
Originally posted by Dammedfool
I have followed the instructions and everything works fine, well allmost. The only thing that does not seem to work is that the 3D Harware accelaration checkbox is greyed out. As a total newbie I have no idea if this is important or not (although I suspect it is). If I want to play games like UT2003 do I need this and if so how do I enable it. any help or clues will be greatly appreciated.
I have a Gforce4 mx 440 card with 64Meg DDR
AMD 2000+
512 M DDR
Red hat 8.0
I started looking and just found where the greyed out check box is.

Mine is greyed out also.

GTS 2 64Mb
AMD 900
512 Mb
RH 8.0

I get 100 Frames per second for Tux racer.

Before I installed the NVIDIA drivers I got 3 frames per second.

So if you see the 1/2 second NVIDIA logo before the GUI starts then 3D is working, so just ignore the greyed out check gox.
mwgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-02, 10:06 PM   #164
manny

Talking

I think reporting successes is just as important as reporting failures. So, with that in mind I would like to say that I was successful in following STEEL's instructions under RedHat 8. I am running kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0 with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 and it's working flawlessly. Thank you NVIDIA for such a hardcore graphics card and THANK YOU for supporting open source!

Old 12-03-02, 02:14 PM   #165
Kaeros

Hi thanks a lot for the installation procedure
I think it works well now
(nvidia logo at startx and tuxracer ok )
but I used to configure my system with xconfigurator and now redhat-config-xfree86 doesn't allow me to switch the resolution to more than 1024x768

[edit] : I've a geforce 2 Ti 64MB

1280 and higher radio buttons are grayed and 1024...how to say that... : : puke:

if someone has a solution

thank you
Old 12-03-02, 09:56 PM   #166
quantaman

Default buildmeister

I too am getting the buildmeister error and the consensus as to the reason seems to be the
# kernel-source-2.4.18-14
package not being installed, I assume this especially because when i try
# rpm -qa | grep kernel
I don't get any output. I was wondering where I should get this package, i ran up2date and all of the rpms except the 2.4.18 kernel are installed because it said it was marked to be skipped by my configuration, should I install it anyway or do I get the appropriate packages listed in an earlier post somewhere else
*from earlier post*
# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-source-2.4.18-14
kernel-2.4.18-14
kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.31-9 ***NOT NEEDED
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123 *** of course, with a clean install, this file isn't installed.I Have installed it after compile it

Thanks
quantaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 08:19 AM   #167
madman_lxl

i installed the lastest nvidia drivers using the tarball method and then edited the x config. but on restart of x server it srewed up and flashed a bunch of times then told me that it couldn't start the x server. then it asked me "..would you like to view the x server output to diagnose the problem?" but when i clicked on the what seemed to be yes it did a massive dump of hex that followed like a river down my screen. is there anything i can do about this or would it just be easier to reinstall and then see how that goes. or if worse comes to worse |=Uc|< rh8.0 off and go back 2 rh7.3 or another linux distro
madman_lxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-02, 11:56 AM   #168
Sniper3dr

Send a message via ICQ to Sniper3dr

howdy;

First, I'm a n00b with linux . . .

I've installed Redhat 7.3(fresh install) and trying to get the nvidia drivers to work.

I think my prob is just dling the *right* rpm's with lynx. So far that's all I've got to work with.

I've dled what I think is the correct rpm's and did a --rebuild and it says they the NVIDIA drivers were installed correctly.

I would show you my XF86Config-4, but I dunno how to copy it from linux and show you..... But I have edited it like the ^above examples and still I'm not able to get into "X."

I've been going to "http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_1.0-3123" through lynx to get the rpm's, is there a better location?

Any help for a n00b is MUCH appreciated!!