Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-02, 02:09 PM   #169
Dammedfool

mwgoodman,

Thanks a lot. Everything is fine, I've just tried UT2003 demo. FANTASTIC. You are quite right the check box is still greyed out but is working anyway.
Thanks again for your time
Old 12-07-02, 05:49 PM   #170
Rainmanjam

Talking

Installed great!! I have never used Redhat Linux and I was able to follow instructions on this thing. Im a big Windows administrator. Starting to lean the ropes. Installed it on a Inspiron 8200 laptop with Nvidia 440 GO with No problems.
Old 12-08-02, 04:41 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally posted by Neoprene
if you get compile problems, like I did, the booted kernel-vesrion did not match my kernel source version. I has a /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-18.8.0 installed but I booted an earlier kernel that for some reason did not write to GRUB as intended. The rpm -ivh --force <new kernel name>.rpm installed the kernel and fixed GRUB and wrote to the MBR.

HELP!!! I have all packages and dependencies installed, I updated to the 2.4-18-8 kernel right after 8.0 install, then I tried to install Nvidia drivers and it's lead to 4 Redhat 8.0 re-installs. Finally I followed the rpm build instructions, and I get that Buildmeister error but I have all packages and dependencies installed.

Then when I read posts and I see things like......... "The rpm -ivh --force <new kernel name>.rpm installed the kernel and fixed GRUB and wrote to the MBR.............. what is that rpm -ivh --force thing your talking about? Where would I even run it? In the command box? Terminal? If Terminal, where in terminal do I have to be to run it? Will it even fix the buildmeister problem? Nothing is wrong with my grub, 2.4-14.8 and 18.8 are both listed already

I have a headache and I worked so hard getting MP3 to work , all the extras added to Mozilla, and everything else, I just don't think I can handle another redhat reinstall....... If Nvidia issues RPM's for Red Hat 8.0, will it even matter what 8.0 kernal I use or update to after that I have a headache now, Can anyone explain how to fix this buildmeister problem in plain specific english? To someone who had ALL the packages and dependencies installed?

Last edited by 3777; 12-08-02 at 04:47 PM.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 06:32 PM   #172

Exclamation

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I DID IT!!!! I installed driver via Tar.gz files and everything is working great!!! Going to install UT 2003 now and see if it runs
Old 12-08-02, 10:22 PM   #173

Thumbs up

It runs!!!!
Old 12-10-02, 04:34 AM   #174
Grandpas

Hi,
I'm using latest Nvidia drivers, RH 7.3 with a GForce 4MX 420 video card
I've 2.4.18-3 kernel sources
Also installed, 2.4.20 (needed because new VIA KT400 chipset on my mb); I'm running these ones.
- Building nvidia kernel (and/or glx) as indicated => OK
- checking XF86Config-4 (Load dri commented, vesa replaced by nvidia) => ok
- running the Xfree server => ok

but ...
When I restart the computer, the server won't start
below last lines of the log.
================================================== ====================
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
compiled for 4.2.0, module version = 0.1.0
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 16,
(--) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 565
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD8000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xDE000000
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found
================================================== ====================

Removing the NVIDIA packages (GLX and Kernel)
and reinstalling them allow to start again the server
but I've to do this job after each reboot :-(

Thanks for your help.
Grandpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 05:56 PM   #175
Genovese

Red Hat Linux 8.0 Release Notes
Kernel Notes

The kernel included in Red Hat Linux 8.0 is compiled with GCC version 3.2. Testing has shown that it is not possible to use kernel modules compiled with older (GCC 2.96 or previous) GCC compilers with GCC 3.2 compiled kernels. The kernel includes workarounds for older GCC bugs that change the signatures of data structures. These restrictions are not in use when GCC 3.2 is used. All kernel modules included in Red Hat Linux 8.0 are compiled with GCC 3.2; however, when using third-party modules it is important to make sure that every module and its dependent objects, in their entirety, is compiled with GCC 3.2. The modutils programs insmod and modprobe have rudimentary checks for this and will prevent loading of modules in the case of compiler version mismatches; these modules can be forced to load via the -f parameter.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ase-notes/x86/
Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 06:48 PM   #176
doctorpon

Send a message via ICQ to doctorpon
Lightbulb To all those having problems compiling from src.rpm

I have spent several days trying to figure out what the problem was. Accidentaly, in one of the topics I read,thet the kernel sources are specific by version (of course). My mistake was that I did not have an upgraded kernel source installed. I had two kernels, and a kernel source that came with RH 8.0. After installing an upgraded source, everything worked fine. I still got errors during compilation, yet the binaries were written allright, and everything works fine.
Oh yeah... I have added a nologin user "buildmeister" to get rid of the nagging warnings.

Hope this helps... Good luck, everyone!

Old 12-11-02, 06:47 AM   #177
striffelbuur

Question In layman's terms please?

I was thinking of switching from Windows 2000 Pro to Linux, so I downloaded and burned the 5 install-discs for RedHat 8.0.

I am now left with the following problem: practically all previous messages in this thread are, to me, less comprehensible than most Chinese texts, and though I know a few words of Cantonese, this means that, after reading this thread I still haven't got a clue on where to start getting my GeForce 4 drivers to work.

Apparently I would need to recompile the software NVidia is offering on it's site, correct? If that is indeed the case, does anyone have the compiled versions of the drivers for RedHat 8, or does it not work that way?

Thanks very much in advance,
Kind regards,
Striffelbuur.
striffelbuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 11:36 AM   #178
Genovese

striffelbuur -

here is a nice well-written walkthrough:

http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1959

all the necessary commands and edits are in red or green.

good luck
Genovese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 03:26 PM   #179
striffelbuur

Talking thnx!

thnx!
striffelbuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 03:48 PM   #180
doctorpon

Send a message via ICQ to doctorpon
Default If anyone is interested, I can put my binary on the Web.

Compiled for latest kernel, RH 8.0