Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-02, 09:18 AM   #181
Rmax

what appen? i got that RPM while rebuilding from source rpm with no problem....

[root@ulb i386]# rpm --force -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
1:NVIDIA_kernel ########################################### [100%]
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/NVIDIA/NVdriver.o
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.18-14custom
while this kernel is version 2.4.18-14.
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o: insmod nvidia failed

Failed to install nvidia.o

error: %post(NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-02, 03:55 PM   #182
doctorpon

Send a message via ICQ to doctorpon
Default Read the error messages.

It says that kernel is mismatched. The rpm was compiled for a custom kernel, and you are trying to install it under a regular *18 kernel. Build both GLX and kernel module under the kernel you will be using.
Old 12-14-02, 07:16 PM   #183
linuxnub

Ok, if you can't tell by name i know very little about linux. My dad helps me out a lot and I have most of the basic commands, but i'm still adjusting from my usual Windows interface.

Anways, let me list my specs:
IWILL KK266Plus Motherboard
nvidia Geforce2plus
AMD Athlon 1.2
ViewSonic 17" monitor
Redhat 8.0 kernel-source-2.4.18-14

Now, I've downloaded xfree86 4.0.2, just the minimum possible to make everything works. I don't plan on getting this right the first time as I have already reinstalled Redhat 4 times once I get stuck in a spot I don't know how to get out of. Now, I didn't install it in the command line instead of the GNOME like it "recommended" too, so I'm not sure if thats what did it.

Then, I downloaded and did exactly what STEEL1's guide told me to do. Then, I rebooted and everthing went fine until I got back to GNOME. I went to display to check if it had enabled 3D acceleration, the whole point of me dling the drivers and everything, but it wasn't. In fact, before I had installed xfree86 and the drivers, it had showed that what I had was a Geforce2 GTS (generic) instead of Pro, which was weird but I ignored it and it said that it was 64 mg video card. Now it doesn't say what mg it is or the type of card it is. It says "Unsupported VGA Card" when I hit probe and then when I go to select the type of card manually the only type of Nvidia card listed is NVidia GeForce. That's it. Also, it still has a grayed out check box for "Enable 3D Acceleration".

So, I guess my question is, what did I do wrong? Also, the way I get to the console/command line is to go through /etc/inittab, make a _bu of the orig, make a _mod of the orig, and then comment out the X11 line near the bottom on the mod file. Then link the inittab to the mod when i want to reboot in console/command line, etc., etc. Is their an easier way to do this? When I do a search on google it doesn't find anything to stop X11, only stuff to start it back up.

Sorry for the long post, and I hope these questions haven't been asked/answered in the space of time it took me to ask this question.

thanks for any help,
linuxnub

*edit*
I was looking through the posts and realized that if the NVIDIA screen came up before login then 3D acceleration was enabled. This was happening before I installed XFree86 and had just installed the NVIDIA drivers, so I think i'm just going to reinstall RedHat and install the NVidia Drivers and see if that works. With the XFree86 installed the NVIDIA screen before the login doesn't appear. But, I do think that XFree86 is in the RedHat package already installed, so maybe that was my problem.

I am still interested in what could have gone wrong and may wait awhile to reinstall the OS to see if I can get it working as is.

Last edited by linuxnub; 12-14-02 at 07:53 PM.
linuxnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-02, 01:25 PM   #184
mltngpot

Default RH 8.0, Nvidia 1.0-4191, GeForce4 Ti 4200

ok, here is my problem, Fresh install of RH8, on reboot, it crashes, but only with the GeForce4 installed, i used another vid card, no problem.

so i installed the kernel and glx drivers, and figured i should be fine, but same problem, it keeps crashing as soon as i get to the login.

i then went through the logs and could not find any reason for the crash.

Any Suggestions? even if futile, it would be better than nothing.
mltngpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-02, 12:15 PM   #185
linuxnewb

Step 2> Make sure you have the kernel headers installed along with all other dev tools - these are needed along with other dependencies. The best way to ensure that you have all dependencies is to just go start menu > system settings > packages > and in the development section choose the Kernel development packge and install the whole thing.

When i tried to install the kernel development tools it gave me an error "Package Not Found"....

"Unlocatable package krb5-libs = 1.2.5-6" "Required by krb5-devel"

what should i do? please don't be to technical as this is my first time with linux.
linuxnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-02, 10:02 AM   #186
tarnis

Send a message via AIM to tarnis Send a message via Yahoo to tarnis

Was hoping someone might give me a small hand installing nvidia drivers Think I just screwed up a line in my XF86Conf while messing with Emacs but have nothing to compare it to...I'm running Redhat 8, the linux drivers were just downloaded so they're pretty current.

There is an error it says in my XF86Config file and in the server layout section I have a line that says

Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0

Is there an extra 0 in that? It doesn't look quite right next to the rest of the lines... Else, here's my whole file down bellow.

Thanks,
Matt

(I fixxed it)

Last edited by tarnis; 12-30-02 at 09:01 AM.
tarnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-02, 01:11 PM   #187
pkorpela

Default Strange trails on screen

Hi,

Just installed latest Nvidia drivers (1.0-4191) on my Dell M50 laptop with Quadro4 500 GoGL graphics.

Everything seems to work OK, if I boot to init level 3 and start X manually after logging in to the system. If I set my default init level as 5, all opened windows leave strange trails on the desktop and I can't refresh the screen without restaring the X.

The system is RH 7.1 with XFree 4.0.3-5. Has anyone else seen the same?

Cheers,

Perttu
pkorpela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-02, 08:06 PM   #188
Masta-G

Send a message via AIM to Masta-G
Default why going through all this :P

Hey I have a better idea...
I tried everything
I have RedHat 8
kenrel 2.4.18-19.8.0 + source that matches that version.
I got the latest headers, binutils rpm and rpmbuilt and it still failed making the driver from source.

So why dont u guys upload ur compiled driver to some place with the kernel/linux version specified in the filename so ppl can download it. Modifying the XF86Config worked great for me on the old (2.4.18-14) kernel using offical nv driver. So that shouldnt be a big problem for most noobs. Only getting the source compiled is a bigger problem. Waiting for NV te compile an new driver takes ages. So plz be kind and upload ur driver and let us know
Masta-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-02, 11:34 PM   #189
mog78

Ok guys, a newbie to this needs some questions answered. I installed the correct RPMs (I'm on RH 8.0) but I get a signal 11 error when I loaded X. I then just rpm -e it and I can now boot into X at least. However, I have not yet followed STEEL's step-by-step instructions. And before I do, I got a few questions:

1. I just upgraded the default Red Hat 8.0 kernel to a customized kernel that I compiled.....version 2.4.20. Will this in any way give me any errors? Like, will it give me errors expecting a default RH 8 kernel? I ran nvchooser.sh and got the right SRPMS

2. Let's say it works and latter down the line I upgrade my kernel to 2.4.21. Will I then have to recompile these drivers? Or can I leave it and it will work with all future kernel recompiles?

Thanks.
mog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 09:03 AM   #190
tarnis

Ok, here's how I got it to finally work. Download the src.rpm file, and make your own...had never done it before but that went right in.

use "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel.src.rpm"

It will spit out a path to the rpm it builds at the end, simpley use rpm -ivh /path it gave/NVIDIA_kernel.i386.rpm

Boom! Done
Matt
Old 12-30-02, 11:21 AM   #191
MdG

Send a message via AIM to MdG
Default Nervous...backing up?

So, I've tried so many ways to get these Nvidia drivers installed. I'm running RH8 and have a RIVA TNT2 card.

I'm about to try the stuff that STEELE added. But, in past attempts, I've screwed up the XServer so much that it wouldn't even start. And I never know how to get back to where I was when it was running.

So...what can I backup so that when I screw it up, I am not lost in the darkness?

Thanks,
MdG
MdG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-02, 12:26 PM   #192
tarnis

Backup "/etc/X11/XF86Config" or "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" if you have it before doing anything...