Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-02, 06:01 AM   #37
TheOneKEA
Fifteen-K Saiyan Bastard

Location: Somewhere in England, waiting for ROTK and drooling over the A64 3000+
Send a message via ICQ to TheOneKEA Send a message via AIM to TheOneKEA Send a message via Yahoo to TheOneKEA
Question Question

How much integration is there between NVIDIA's drivers and the KDE Display applet?

SCREW THE ADS! http://adblock.mozdev.org/
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire - Mozilla Firefox 0.8

Registered Linux User #289618
TheOneKEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 07:23 AM   #38
Gregor

Exclamation BEFORE you do step4 write down step5!

Outstanding, it all worked in a window from kde instead of gnome (I don got to show you no steenkin gnomes). But I did forget to write down step 5 and at step 4 startx will not work till you edit the xfree config. So I had to borrow a co-workers winbox (gag-choke) to get back to the instructions...

Blessings and Thanks a bunch! I am a total Linux newbie.
Old 10-08-02, 07:46 AM   #39
bwkaz

Default Re: error

Quote:
Originally posted by ubien
You appear to be compiling the NVdriver kernel module with a compiler different from the one that was used to compile the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there are cases wehre this can lead to unexpected behavious and system crashes. If you know what you are doing and want to ovveride this check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH. In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the name of the compiler that was used to complie the kernel. *** Failed cc sanity check, Bailing out! *** make: *** [gcc-check] Error 1
This means that for some reason, the default cc is not the same version of gcc that compiled the kernel. To find out what it should be, do a cat /proc/version. There's a "(gcc version xxxx)" string in there that shows you which compiler compiled the kernel. Then do a cc -v to see which version compiler is linked to the default "cc" executable. These have to match exactly. Post what they both say, and someone should be able to tell you what to do to get cc to be the same as /proc/version. It probably involves an export CC=<something>, I'm just not sure on what the <something> would be.

Quote:
I have both gcc 3.2 and 2.96 installed if this is any problem.
Not necessarily a problem, but if the default cc is not what was used to compile your kernel, it will be.

The second error you quoted is just because the make failed. It's telling you that no NVdriver module was created, which is correct.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 02:29 PM   #40
ubien

Default gcc versions

yea they are different

cat /proc/version gives me

Quote:
Linux version 2.4.18-3 (bhcompile@porkey.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3.2.96-110)) #1 Thu Apr 18 07:32:41 EDT 2002
and cc -v gives

gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)

why does /proc/version have RH 7.3 listed in it? I had 7.3 installed before I installed 8.0, but Im pretty sure I said to install 8.0 and not to upgrade an existing install.
Old 10-08-02, 05:04 PM   #41
warper

Default Re: Worked great

Quote:
Originally posted by bdfulk
Followed the instructions by STEEL except step5 I compiled from within gnome and it still worked great! Now if only I could figure out how to get my linux desktop extended onto my second monitor. Anyone have any good tutorials I can go look up or advice? I have one geforce4 ti4200 and two 15" lcds hooked up to it.
Hi bdfulk,

I did the same thing, couldn't be bothered to not compile it from within gnome (it's a new install on a new HDD anyway, what could happen . Worked without a hitch.

I haven't got my dual display (also 4200) set up, but I will maybe give it a try somewhere within the following 2 weeks. Please post your config if you get it working (maybe in a new thread) and I will make sure I do too if I'm first

Maarten

ps. RH 8 flies, even with 'only' 256 MB RAM, 256 was lost installing the new HDD
Old 10-08-02, 05:53 PM   #42
bwkaz

Default Re: gcc versions

Quote:
Originally posted by ubien
Linux version 2.4.18-3
You're still running RedHat 7.3's kernel. Something didn't update properly (your bootloader, maybe?).

Actually, if only your bootloader (well, I should say your MBR) didn't update, then you shouldn't be able to boot anything -- when you formatted the hard drive installing RedHat, it should have deleted the old kernel's image. And yet that's what's running.

Hmmmm... I guess what I'd do is a reinstall of RedHat 8, and tell it to format your root partition before it starts copying files. If you have important stuff to save, burn it to a CD-R first, or put it on another partition. What's your partition setup look like? Is /home a separate partition from the root? If so, you can put important stuff in your home directory, and then not format /home (but you'll still want to format everything else). Then reinstall RedHat 8.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 06:01 PM   #43
ubien

yea I was kinda wondering why my old boot loader was still running, but it appeared to work.....I did format my old root partition where RH 7.3 was running though so I dunno how this happened. /Home isn't it's own partition though, so I guess ill just have to re-download some stuff.
Old 10-08-02, 06:40 PM   #44
p9ing

Default Re: Re: error

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
[b]This means that for some reason, the default cc is not the same version of gcc that compiled the kernel.
Got this too and think it came down to not having enough of the right RedHat-8.0 RPMS installed for compiling. I then installed kernel-source, zlib-devel, glib-devel, glib2-devel, pkgconfig, gcc-c++, compat-gcc-c++, compat-libstdc++-devel, libstdc++-devel, compat-gcc, gcc, binutils. Perhaps somewhat overkill for this, but I'll need them someday anyway.

Even so, I have not gotten 3123 to work with a GF4 Ti card. One time it threw the machine into a reboot time loop. I tried recompiling the 2960 nvidia packages but they don't work: 'modprobe NVdriver' complains about inserting gcc-2.x modules into a gcc-3 kernel, which is now strictly verboten.

Old 10-09-02, 02:44 PM   #45
fforw

Default Re: Redhat 8.0 reboot with NVidia 3123

Quote:
Originally posted by dradick
Folks,

thanks for all the tips on getting Nividia 3123
drivers to work with RedHAt 8.0.

I have tried both the tar.gz as well as the src.rpm
files. Both install cleanly, I modify XF86config
myself. Attempting to load the new drivers
results in immediate system reboot.

I'm not sure what I should post here, everything
looks like it should. This a clean install of RH 8.
Previously, the same hardware ran RedHat 7.3
with Nvidia drivers 2960 (I think) flawlessly.

any help welcome.

Don
as I stated in another Thread here ("Problem wirh drivers"). this is exactly the kind of problem I have.
(2960 was running, 3123 crashing on RH8)

Does anyone have an idea?
fforw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 10:07 PM   #46
perfectom

Unhappy tried the STEEL instructions, don't work...

Okay, I tried the STEEL1 method, and it didn't work for me. I also looked at the suggestions given in this thread - none applied/worked. I have all the packages installed, kernel, glibc,gcc,etc.. I did try to install using the gnome terminal..

It seems that the problem I'm having is identical to a number of other peoples' problems....

Here's what I get:

the "srpm" method:

[root@rawhide install]# rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
install: cannot stat `NVdriver': No such file or directory
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.43323 (%install)
RPM build errors:
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.43323 (%install)

the "tar" method:

[root@rawhide NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123]# ls
makedevices.sh nv_compiler.h nv-linux.h os-interface.c rmretval.h
Makefile nv.d nv-misc.h os-interface.h
Module-nvkernel nv.h nv_ref.h os-registry.c
nv.c nv-ids.h nvtypes.h README
[root@rawhide NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123]# make install
nv.c:2831: warning: implicit declaration of function `inter_module_get_Rf6a0ce24'
nv.c:2832: warning: implicit declaration of function `inter_module_put_R6b99f7d8'
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1

Anyone have any ideas?javascript:smilie('')
Old 10-10-02, 10:26 AM   #47
utiel

Default Re: tried the STEEL instructions, don't work...

Quote:
Originally posted by perfectom
[root@rawhide NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123]# make install
nv.c:2831: warning: implicit declaration of function `inter_module_get_Rf6a0ce24'
nv.c:2832: warning: implicit declaration of function `inter_module_put_R6b99f7d8'
make: *** [nv.o] Error 1

Anyone have any ideas?javascript:smilie('')
In a fresh install, instructions works.

Have you update to RedHat 8.0, or is a new install?

Have you installed a new kernel, or installed it from 2nd CD?

There is any other package not from RedHat 8.0?

Have you tried to compile your own kernel?

Sugestions:

1. Must have only gcc-3, not gcc-2.96, this cause problems compiling Nvidia Driver.

2. If you dowloaded and installed a kernel from kernel.org, you need to do this links /usr/include/linux -> /usr/src/linux/include/linux and /usr/include/asm ->/usr/src/linux/include/asm. RedHat has its own includes

3. You need to configure your kernel, if have an SMP machine or if you have done a make mrproper in /usr/src/linux

4. If you have diferent kernel sources, check /usr/src/linux points to your kernel-source

5. There is a post, that points to a webpage with a Nvidia-driver.rpm ( I don't remember link )
utiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-02, 12:02 PM   #48
mikey344

Default RH 8.0 with a NVidia GeForce2 MX-200

I ran the script to determine the rpms to download and it suggested the src rpm for the kernel and the regular GLX rpm for GLX. I have installed those successfully, or at least I think and edited the XF86Config file per Nvidia's instructions. I have X running. Sometimes my screensaver will crash for no reason and freeze the system forcing a hard reboot. But what I am more concerned about is UT2003.

When I attemp to run UT2003, the NVidia logo pops up with a black background and freezes the system. A hard reboot is required to recover

Has anyone else experienced this problem. Am I not configuring something properly. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.