Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-12-02, 07:15 AM   #49
dwbrewer

Smile

From an absolute newbie, thanks!!!!
I have toyed with Red Hat 6.2, 7.x and now 8.0.
Video cards are tough to setup for a newbie.
dwbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 01:23 PM   #50
ratboy

Angry

STEEL1, i just installed redhat 8.0 and have a few questions about how to install the nvidia card drivers.

1st, i'm a complete noob. meaning i have never used linux before.
i currently have a dual boot going between winxp and linux - works great btw.

2nd, here are my system specs:
mobo: supermicro p4dce+
procs: dual xeon 1.8 gig
video card: geforce 4 ti4400

3rd, what linux packages do i have?
upon initial install, i selected "workstation" and installed all the packages.
using default kernel 2.4.18-14smp

4th, monitor is set to 1024 X 768 16bit and video card is set to geforce 4 (generic) using the vesa driver.

this being said, i cannot set color depth to 24bit and is there any way to get the monitor refresh rate to 75-85 hz?
__________________________________________________ __

now i would like a little more detailed install info please:

>>>>Step 1> Download the following from NVidia's site.<<<<
i downloaded the kernel and glx drivers, is there any particular directory they need to go in?

>>>>Step 2> Make sure you have the kernel headers installed along with all other dev tools. I am not too sure if you need them since we are going to do a "rpmbuild --rebuild" but I had them installed anyways.<<<<
it i installed all packages when i installed linux, does that mean the kernel headers are installed? if not, how do you install the kernel headers and dev tools?

Step 3> In a gnome terminal window do a "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm" to create drivers for the RH 8.0 kernel. (This will create the binary RPM in "/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm")
when i tried this, i got "file not found" do i have to somehow unzip the driver files first before i can run this command? if so, where do unpack the driver files to?

if you or any of you do not wan't to explain in a more detail way on how to install video card drivers, can you point me in the right direction(link)?

thanks from a complete noob
Old 10-12-02, 01:37 PM   #51
dwbrewer

Default Packages

Ratboy,

I had to add the developer packages before I could do a rpmbuile --rebuild. There is a menu item for packages.
dwbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 02:22 PM   #52
ratboy

all the developer packages are installed
Old 10-12-02, 03:00 PM   #53
Krugelstadt

I have gotten my Kernel to install correctly. However
my GLX comes out to this...

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
--- WARNING!!
libGL.so.1.0.3123
--- The above file(s) possibly belong to a conflicting MESA rpm,
--- or to a previous stale NVIDIA distribution.
--- They have been renamed to xxx.<originalFile>.RPMSAVE to
--- avoid conflicting with the files contained within this
--- package.
--- Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of
--- /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for more details.
1:NVIDIA_GLX ########################################### [100%]

What did i just do?

My system is a Dell Inspirion 8200, 1.8 Ghz P4, Geforce 4 440 Go 64mb 4x AGP, 640 mb DDRam.
Old 10-12-02, 03:56 PM   #54
ratboy

Talking

ok finally got it, installed the tar.gz drivers.

now looking at 1024 X 768/ 85HZ goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-02, 04:24 PM   #55
STEEL1

hello everyone :-) I was out on vacation so could not help you gyus with problems you had. But as usual the community helped each other and we have some great people here helping each other.

Some clarifications:
1> The instructions here work for a clean install of RH8.0 If you dont have a clean install and are doing a upgrade please be extra carefull, read through posts some users have successfully done that.

2> Instruction are true for RH8.0 and nvidia only. for other linux version there are minor changes to the Xconfig files that others have addressed here, so please read through the forum and posts.

3>ut 2003 workls great but trying to use ut 2000 screws something up. I think because ut 2000 installs its own drivers. I am trying to work this out anyone else knows why ? after a ut 2000 install X stops working and gives error messages trying to load glx or opengl. hmmm....... any ideas folks.

Thanks
STEEL

Last edited by STEEL1; 10-12-02 at 05:44 PM.
STEEL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-02, 10:38 PM   #56
Nurvel

Ok i followed the instructions exactly and UT2003 starts to load and then the load screen disappears and the program quits out. Any Ideas of what to do? This was a fresh install of Red Hat 8.0 and I am a Linux Newbie

Old 10-13-02, 01:02 AM   #57
STEEL1

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvel
Ok i followed the instructions exactly and UT2003 starts to load and then the load screen disappears and the program quits out. Any Ideas of what to do? This was a fresh install of Red Hat 8.0 and I am a Linux Newbie
Nurvel;
Questions:
What version of ut are we talking about here ut2003 demo or ut2003 full retail version ?

Does xserver crash or just ut2003 ? if ut2003 crashes can you please post ut logs. Also if xserver crashes post the xserver logs.

Are you sure you have the cd key value in right ? the CD key for ut2003 needs to be type completely along with the dashes.

Open a gnome terminal and execute ut execute script on command line. This usually writes out some info on the screen which is lost when you simply click on the icon for ut2003.

Let us know
Steel
Old 10-13-02, 01:07 AM   #58
STEEL1

Quote:
Originally posted by Krugelstadt

my GLX comes out to this...
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
--- WARNING!!
libGL.so.1.0.3123
--- The above file(s) possibly belong to a conflicting MESA rpm,
--- or to a previous stale NVIDIA distribution.
--- They have been renamed to xxx.<originalFile>.RPMSAVE to
--- avoid conflicting with the files contained within this
--- package.
--- Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS section of
--- /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for more details.
1:NVIDIA_GLX ########################################### [100%]
What did i just do?
This is normal .. you just sucessfully installed the GLX. GLX copies the above files to a backup location , since it comes packaged with newer version of these files.
It will restore the previous version of you ever uninstall it - though i doubt you will ever want to

Everything is fine this is normal - the way it is supposed to be. Have fun :-)
Old 10-13-02, 10:23 AM   #59
Nurvel

Quote:
Originally posted by STEEL1

Nurvel;
Questions:
What version of ut are we talking about here ut2003 demo or ut2003 full retail version ?

Does xserver crash or just ut2003 ? if ut2003 crashes can you please post ut logs. Also if xserver crashes post the xserver logs.

Are you sure you have the cd key value in right ? the CD key for ut2003 needs to be type completely along with the dashes.

Open a gnome terminal and execute ut execute script on command line. This usually writes out some info on the screen which is lost when you simply click on the icon for ut2003.

Let us know
Steel
It is the ut2003 full retail version and only ut2003 crashes. It shows the little box that says Unreal Tournamnet 2003 Digital Extremes and so on and then disappears and nothing else comes up. I entered the CD key exactly as shown. I am a real newbie to linux so i don't know what the command is to run a file in the Gnome Terminal and i also have no idea of the location of the ut2003 log.
PS xserver does not crash
Old 10-13-02, 11:19 AM   #60
Finalnight

Default Uber Newbie Question!

Ok, i accidently typed nvdia instead of nvidia in my x config file, now I can't get back into X, HELP! How do I edit my X file from the command line...