Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-04, 12:54 AM   #13
gordwait

Actually I did the memtest86 thing, it's pretty darn good eh?
I'm now up and running on a Via chipset motherboard, and an ATI 9200 video card.
Not a single crash, no more hassles, default XFREE86 4.4 support, the network card and sound card are up already by default, and I have to enable the usb mouse next.
I used to do Sun Unix admin as part of one job, and Slackware's thing is to "be more like sun unix" so I'm quite at home with where Slackware puts things.

Well, since I no longer own Nvidia hardware ( I took it back for a refund), so long folks, and hope your experiences are better than mine was with nvidia linux drivers!

Cheers,
Gord Wait
gordwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 03:06 AM   #14
drogoh

I suffer from a similar problem, if not the same problem. I first thought it was memory related so I ram memtest86 and found a bad stick of ram, chunked that. I replaced my processor because it was bad from the beginning. (I didn't find out the ram was bad until after I replaced the processor.) So I thought things would be smooth, boy was I wrong. I've tried every driver since 43.63 with no luck (yes, 46.20 as well), ran XFree86 4.3.0 - 4.3.99.903 with no luck either. I've switched from Slackware current to Gentoo and it hasn't helped any, tried half a dozen different kernels and configurations with the same results every single time. I can only hope that I can find a solution by the time Unreal Tournament 2004 ships because I don't want to futz with this any longer. It's like I'm in a lose-lose situation with graphics cards, ATI drivers suck, nVidia drivers aren't much better either. *sigh* I'm at a loss as to what else to try.

-drogoh
drogoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 08:33 AM   #15
SuLinUX

Seriously, you guys are in the minority and if you have tried everything then it's a case of getting some new hardware or gfx card. At least it only cost you time and no money if you had the same issues in Windows(people do alot) then you would be real stuck up the creek without a paddle.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 09:56 AM   #16
dsg

Alright. Can we PLEASE get on with the original discussion? Talking about how nvidia sucks does not help, talking about how nvidia should opensource their drivers does not help, and talking about how the drivers are great and we are in the minority certainly does not either. The fact is, there IS a problem, and this thread is about finding a SOLUTION to that problem.

It's quite possible this is a hardware problem, but getting help in diagnosing it would be good.
dsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-04, 10:31 AM   #17
drogoh

Quote:
Originally posted by SuLinUX
Seriously, you guys are in the minority and if you have tried everything then it's a case of getting some new hardware or gfx card. At least it only cost you time and no money if you had the same issues in Windows(people do alot) then you would be real stuck up the creek without a paddle.
In my case, I am up the proverbial creek with half a paddle and a leaky boat. It'd be nice to just snap my fingers and be able to buy new hardware but alas, I have no money to do so. Even IF I had the money, I would really like to find out just where the problem is before striking off and buying blindly. The problem could exist just about anywhere, that's the reason I stopped ghosting and posted something. I hoped and still do hope that I can find a diagnosis for this problem, maybe that will happen eventually.
drogoh is offline   Reply With Quote