Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-04, 10:32 PM   #1
alloneword
Registered User
 
alloneword's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melb, Aust
Posts: 12
Default nvnet driver 2.6.4

Help!!

Can some one let me know where i can find a patch to make the nvnet driver source from the nforce unified driver package compatible with a 2.6.4 Kernel! (I am using 2.6.4-ck1 atm)

I did have a patch to make the nvnet work with the 2.6.3 but not 2.6.4

Or can nvidia PLEASE release a driver for the 2.6.* series, We can get the agp, ide, and sound from other places, but not the network card.

I have tried the forcedeth driver, but it is SHOCKINGLY bad.
menuconfig said it was experimental, but it said nothing about being this bad.

After clicking on a link or typing in a url, it takes the thing about half a minute before the title of the page will come up. That used to happen pretty much instantly. It is like I am using dail up There is some serious loag when doing anyhting with the network card.

At the moment, this is that last time I am ever going to buy an nforce based Mother Board, I mean it is good, but driver support isn't up to scratch, and nvidia have always been good with drivers.

Thanks
alloneword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-04, 10:23 AM   #2
mariuz
Albino penguin
 
mariuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Transylvania
Posts: 114
Thumbs up

forcedeth come with the 2.6.4 kernel don't need to patch it
for me is quite stable on fedora core2
__________________
http://www.firebirdsql.org
mariuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-04, 10:49 AM   #3
alloneword
Registered User
 
alloneword's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melb, Aust
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for replying

I have tried the forcedeth driver, but it is SHOCKINGLY bad for me.

I dont want a patch for the kernel

I am using the forcedeth atm on 2.6.4
BUT
as i said:
After clicking on a link or typing in a url, it takes the thing about half a minute before just the title of the page will come up (never mind the content). That used to happen pretty much instantly. It is like I am using dail up There is some serious lag when doing anyhting with the network card.

I have a patch to make nvnet driver compatible with 2.6.3, but I was looking for a patch to make the nvnet driver (from nvidia) compatible with 2.6.4 (pref 2.6.4-ck1

I am using MDK 9.2 (if this helps)

Thanks
alloneword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-04, 11:57 AM   #4
mariuz
Albino penguin
 
mariuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Transylvania
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by alloneword
Thanks for replying

I have tried the forcedeth driver, but it is SHOCKINGLY bad for me.

I dont want a patch for the kernel

I am using the forcedeth atm on 2.6.4
BUT
as i said:
After clicking on a link or typing in a url, it takes the thing about half a minute before just the title of the page will come up (never mind the content). That used to happen pretty much instantly. It is like I am using dail up There is some serious lag when doing anyhting with the network card.

I have a patch to make nvnet driver compatible with 2.6.3, but I was looking for a patch to make the nvnet driver (from nvidia) compatible with 2.6.4 (pref 2.6.4-ck1

I am using MDK 9.2 (if this helps)

Thanks
I use the stock kernel from http://kernel.org/

no patches , just compiled and make install
forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.23.
__________________
http://www.firebirdsql.org
mariuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-04, 09:33 PM   #5
alloneword
Registered User
 
alloneword's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melb, Aust
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by mariuz
I use the stock kernel from http://kernel.org/

no patches , just compiled and make install
forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.23.
That is what I am using atm.

I put on the ck1 patch just for supermount, as there isn't a patch for 2.6.4 on the supermount site.
alloneword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-04, 05:14 AM   #6
sphere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 20
Default

Instead of just complaining that it is shockingly bad, you could try to file a bug report describing the trouble you run into. Also, you should try a vanilla kernel to see if it is really forcedeth that is to blame.

What hardware are you using?
sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-04, 09:29 AM   #7
alloneword
Registered User
 
alloneword's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Melb, Aust
Posts: 12
Default

OK, i will give the vanilla kernel a go.

Hardware:
Nic: nForce one onboard my Epox 8RDA+
XP +2100
512mb ram
FX: 5700 U
Sound: C-Media 8738 (Running through alsa)
OS: MDK 9.2 with 2.6.4-ck1 kernel

I am only running the ck1 patch for supermount, as I cant find a supermount only patch for the 2.6.4

Where can I subit a bug report? the sourceforge page for forcedeth looks pretty dead. - ohh wait, I found an email address to send it to.
alloneword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redhat 8.0 NVIDIA works - INSTRUCTIONS STEEL1 NVIDIA Linux 267 04-15-03 07:48 PM
Getting the proprietary nvidia driver to run with Debian 3.0 r0 (woody) Katchina404 NVIDIA Linux 9 01-12-03 09:49 AM
failing to initialize NV driver PsyShook NVIDIA Linux 10 09-19-02 01:41 PM
Nvidia Driver causes crash on Standby/Suspend dasher NVIDIA Linux 5 09-16-02 06:57 PM
Problem with Ethernet (nvnet) driver for RH 7.3 bernz NVIDIA Linux 4 08-05-02 11:18 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.