Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-02, 11:03 PM   #1
baffle

Default GL lockups with ti4200, i845E and 2.4.20-pre7-ac3

(Yes, I know, I shouldn't be running bleeding edge kernels, and it *may* be the cause of my troubles. But it's needed for full support of my HPT372.)

After having upgraded my machine with a new motherboard, graphicscard and CPU, I'm experiencing lockups in GL accelerated games.

The lockups seem random, but I've had the most "luck" triggering it when running GTA3 under WineX. It also happens with native applications like Unreal Tournament 2003, but not as quickly.

With GTA3, crash occurs after 5-200 seconds of gameplay. With UT2003, up to an hour..

The crashes are usually complete kernel lockups - All functions cease to work, including Maigic SysREQKey.

If I'm fast enough to kill X, a complete kernel lockup is avoided.

When the crash accours, everything freezes and the screen becomes scrambled. The memory corruption sortof looks like a nice healthy green pattern splattered over the picture. :-)

I'm runing XFree 4.2.1 on Debian Sid, kernel 2.4.20-pre7-ac3. Motherboard is ABITBD7II-RAID.

Crashes occurs with both NvAGP and agpart, and in both 2x and 4x. SBA and FW is ofcourse disabled. Desktop is running in 32bit.

Known bug? Unsupported chipsets? Buggy kernel? Buggy drivers?

All will hopefully be revealed.
Old 10-06-02, 12:54 PM   #2
baffle

Update: I've now put in a GF3 card instead, all lockups are gone.

Either there is a problem with GF4 ti4200 and the Nvidia drivers, or my GF4 is broken. Bad memory? Ideas? Anyone?

Or is this forum just for people having problems reading documentation and using RPM? :-)
Old 10-06-02, 02:25 PM   #3
bwkaz

It might be your GF4, I don't know... mine seems to work just fine (ti4200 as well, from MSI), so it's definitely a possibility. Do you happen to have any other systems you could try the GF4 in (you'd obviously want to keep the same OS and kernel, as much as is possible)?

Were you running the same version kernel on your old motherboard? Might be worth a shot (your old motherboard, this kernel, and the GF4), if it's not too hard to get set up.

I don't know of anything it might be, but I'm trying to at least narrow things down. At this point, it seems to be either your GF4 itself, or some motherboard feature that it enables that's buggy or unsupported in that kernel.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 07:39 PM   #4
baffle

Quote:
Do you happen to have any other systems you could try the GF4 in (you'd obviously want to keep the same OS and kernel, as much as is possible)?
Hmm, that would be a problem. But if it's the Geforce4 itself that is the problem (as in a hardware problem), crashes should occur on all platforms.

I think I'll try it on another workstation.

Quote:
Were you running the same version kernel on your old motherboard? Might be worth a shot (your old motherboard, this kernel, and the GF4), if it's not too hard to get set up.
Wish it was that easy -- The old motherboard is in use in a production server. (Yes, it actually was an upgrade. :))

I don't think it is a kernel-bug anymore, since the GF3 works perfectly, and the GF2 Ultra I had in it before worked great as well. The same features (AGP etc) is enabled for both cards.

Might be a longshot, but I'm thinking busted memory on the GF4 right now.