Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-04, 08:25 PM   #13
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

well GOD so long as yer wearin loin cloths... I think its a brilliant idea...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-04, 10:20 PM   #14
PenguinJim

Um... hi, God it's great to have You here. I was going to have Your voice in the game (voiced my Michael Dorn, no less), but had no plans to have You being seen. Except, perhaps, as an end-of-game boss if the player becomes EvilJesus . It's early days yet, though: keep Your fingers crossed!

Sazar, a Crusade mode? Surely no-one would use religion as an excuse to kill people?

Thanks for all the ideas keep them coming! And for all those people who PM'ed me, the answer is Yes. You will definitely be able to kill lots of Haitians!
Old 03-09-04, 02:35 AM   #15
silence

well, maybe you could have Crusade mode being something like Bloodlust in Rune?

with different options accodrding to choices already made....evil Crusade and good Crusade? ...ya, one could send ppl straight to hell with some nice red effects, while other should be more whiteish, with souls going upwards.....
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-04, 10:10 AM   #16
DenverBuc

Why do I feel like that from just reading this post I am gonna be struck down by lightning?

I don't think Jesus is a great idea for an action game.

Would all games end up with the same ending then if you "won"? I mean Jesus, your main character and hero, gets flogged, humiliated, tortured, and crucified as a reward for playing the game well?

Doesn't seem to fit the gaming mold.

Maybe it is better and safer to build a game around Peter and have it be a kind of sim where you build up the church and try to win converts, etc.?

But wait, he gets crucified, too. Man this is all so tough.

What if you did an age of empires rip-off where you played major biblical characters at different times in the bible? Maybe Moses in a scenario leading the hebrews from bondage (includes the parting of the red sea cut scene if you make it through the count-down timer style map). Maybe Noah in a race to build the ark and gather all the pairs of animals before the rains set in. Maybe David beating Goliath in one of the few military-based episodes.

Who knows. I just think the whole idea of Jesus in a video game is borderline sacraligeous (sp?). Certainly puts you in a lot of ethical pickles as a game designer.
DenverBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-04, 02:32 PM   #17
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by DenverBuc
Would all games end up with the same ending then if you "won"? I mean Jesus, your main character and hero, gets flogged, humiliated, tortured, and crucified as a reward for playing the game well?
Multiple Endings!!! Evil Jesus would probably denounce God and take over the Earth for himself or work with Satan. There are many possibilities for different endings. Maybe Jesus could trick someone else into getting crucified for him?

I love your ideas for SimPeter and an Age of Empires-style game. Wouldn't it be great if we were inundated with Jesus games because of the Passion film? Kinda like the Lord of the Rings games .

I don't think having Jesus in a video game is sacreligious, persay. If you're a Christian, God and Jesus are in every part of your life. Playing Jesus in a game is just another way to express your love for him, like watching Bible adaptions on DVD, or reading about Jesus' exploits in the Bible. At least, that's my take on it . If you're not a Christian, you could play this game to enjoy the powers (they will be of Biblical proportions, hopefully ).

I've been working on the script for the intro of the game. Jesus is a fully grown man, and God speaks to him from the Heavens, saying "Jesus, I am your Father. Join me, and together we can save this world as Father and Son...". Of course, this game is set a long time ago, in a country far, far away.
Old 03-12-04, 03:02 AM   #18
Smashed

Not saying you have to be a slave to RPG conventions, but would you be able to choose your character's gender? If yes, would there be any significant plot changes playing as chick Jesus?

You might also want to consider what you'll do about the starting character classes. The carpenter/fisherman/shepherd choice isn't very exciting, and it would suck trying to fight off a Roman with nothing but a mackerel.
Smashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-04, 10:58 AM   #19
Greb Jnnayr

I'm going to be struck down and burn in hell because of this thread. Not because I read it, because I laughed reading it.

theres a cloud right above my head
Greb Jnnayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-04, 02:26 PM   #20
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by Smashed
Not saying you have to be a slave to RPG conventions, but would you be able to choose your character's gender? If yes, would there be any significant plot changes playing as chick Jesus?
Unfortunately, the idea of playing as ChickJesus was thrown out in the early stages. As any good Christian will tell you, women are inferior to men, and I want to keep it real. Do you see any women priests or women bishops in the World? Well, you shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smashed
You might also want to consider what you'll do about the starting character classes. The carpenter/fisherman/shepherd choice isn't very exciting, and it would suck trying to fight off a Roman with nothing but a mackerel.
I don't think Jesus would have any trouble beating off a Roman soldier (so to speak). He'll probably start with a plank of wood with a nail through it (knocked up in his workshop). Carpenter/fisherman/shepherd might not be very exciting, but you're also the Son of GOD!!! Good idea though... what starting classes would you suggest? Jesus the Barbarian springs to mind but I don't want to offend anyone.

Old 03-12-04, 04:31 PM   #21
silence

well...you need to think about powers he gonna have and how divide them among classes...

let's say fisherman class can walk on the water as starting power...
something like that....
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-04, 04:41 PM   #22
PenguinJim

That's a great idea . Class based powers add to replayability, and walking on water would definitely allow you to access other areas, and give the Romans the slip (so to speak). Although Jesus was more of a fisher of men, surely? Hence the immortal line: "I'm going fishing. Fishing for men."

I think there can only be one starting class, I'm afraid. What, being the Son of God isn't enough for you?
Old 03-16-04, 02:48 AM   #23
JediKnight
Kyle Katarn

I hope you fools one day realize the mistake youve done by mocking Jesus. Instead of thanking him for paying the ultimate price so that you and me can one day have eternal life. God forgive you all.

Intel Core i7 - 3770K| ASUS Maximus V Formula ACIII Mobo | 8 Gig Corsair Vengeance 1600 | EVGA 450 GTS | WD 1TB 64MB HDD | Lite On iBS312 BD RW Drive | Samsung VX922 | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 | Cooler Master HAF 922 case | Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 PSU
JediKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-04, 10:29 AM   #24
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by JediKnight
I hope you fools one day realize the mistake youve done by mocking Jesus. Instead of thanking him for paying the ultimate price so that you and me can one day have eternal life. God forgive you all.
Actually, I want to celebrate Jesus' life and his antics. Although I find your comments distinctly unChristian (being insulting and superior), I'm guessing you try to be a Christian. Perhaps you could try some constructive criticism? I do not wish to cause offence (which is why I removed the section of the game where Jesus visits several planets in his spaceship), so please let me know of any parts which you specifically find mocking of our Lord.

As I said earlier, this is a celebration of his life in a form of media, like The Bible, or The Passion of the Christ.