Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-18-04, 12:46 PM   #37
PenguinJim

Quote:
Originally posted by taz
please, i just think the guys game idea sucks , and ill tell u why ; it has no appeal, you'd get too much flak for it from all types of religious groups, and if ur serious and not mocking, whats with the jesus powers and all that crap, thats dumb, maybe a simulation, something that you could teach u about the religion would be worthwhile, but it would have to be revolutionary game play.
Longest sentence EVER, but finally some actual feedback . Well, kinda unspecific. I'm guessing you're a teenager, because almost incoherent kinda vague feedback was my speciality back when I was your age .

Regarding the appeal of the game: Jesus has SUPER POWERS! He can turn water into wine, he can feed five thousand people with two loaves and five fishes, he can resurrect people. You DO know who Jesus is, right? I think there is definite appeal to being able to have Jesus' power, and leading his life your way. It's a familiar setting, and it hasn't been done before (to my knowledge). Plus, I assume you've read this thread. Everyone seems to think this game has appeal apart from yourself and JediKnight.

As for 'getting too much flak for it from all types of religious groups', I fail to see why they'd be annoyed at our celebration of Jesus' life, or even what they could do about it. But thanks very much for your feedback third post's the charm, eh?

I forgot to welcome you to the boards, btw welcome! I suggest you work at being a teensy bit more polite in future: I doubt you will be tolerated for long with posts like:
Quote:
Originally posted by taz
dude tell me thats not an actual picture of you, penguindick...jim
At least if you're going to insult someone, please try to use some wit, humour, imagination... otherwise you look like an idiot, and we have uninteresting posts to read .
Old 03-18-04, 12:58 PM   #38
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Edit: removed replies which responded to now-fibbled posts.

Last edited by Edge; 03-19-04 at 04:41 AM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 01:01 PM   #39
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i wonder if it should be made with openGL... lets ask GOD.
hahaja
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 10:25 PM   #40
PenguinJim

edit: this post was responding to flibbled points.
Quote:

"They've been naughty boys, haven't they, Mr. Flibble?"

Last edited by PenguinJim; 03-19-04 at 08:00 AM.
PenguinJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 10:26 PM   #41
PenguinJim

Getting back to DotOR: does anyone think Jesus might have had any powers that we are familiar with (like Spider Sense) that he just never needed to use (or that weren't mentioned in the Bible)? I'm trying to compile lists of Powers, and they are fairly short at the moment .
Old 03-19-04, 02:13 AM   #42
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

tax if you wonder where all your posts went check your private messages kid.

Edit: Jedi check your pm's too
Old 03-19-04, 02:20 AM   #43
vampireuk
**** Holster

The cure disease on party member skill.
Old 03-19-04, 04:51 AM   #44
OWA

Quote:
It's not like he's making the game to mock Jesus, he just wants to offer a different experience in games while allowing a very interesting perspective on it (not to mention I think the greatest way to really see how difficult it was for Jesus to resist temptation is make it so every player can see just how difficult it can be to do the right thing sometimes!).
I guess I'm surprised that a thread basically mocking personal beliefs is allowed to flourish, especially in the gaming forum. You can try to spin it any way you like but that's what it is doing. Mocking. You really don't see this sort of thing at other places, especially in the gaming section. So, I guess I don't understand why the rules are so strict about some things but no one sees a problem with this. I do think the thread fits PenguinJim type posts and is probably in line with his sense of humor so I don't really have any issue with that. I don't agree with him or his desire to do this sort of thing but it would be boring if we all thought the same. I do think the thread should have been at least moved to a different forum (maybe political or religious if we have one). It's mean-spirited IMO and posting of that nature (again, IMO) should be done in more appropriate forums (open, political, whatever). Definitely not the gaming forum. Of course, I realize I'm in the minority here but it was something I felt I needed to get off my chest. Sorry for interrupting the thread again.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-04, 06:30 AM   #45
vampireuk
**** Holster

There is nothing wrong with this, its a bit of fun. I'm glad we have some sensible christians on this board who understand a bit of fun. This thread is nothing more than a bit of a joke, if it annoys you so much you should perhaps read another thread.
Old 03-19-04, 06:57 AM   #46
Blacklash
8^9^3

Speech that everyone likes does not need to be protected. No this thread is not like yelling fire in a theater. No people or belief system should be above being poked fun at. You can certainly argue it is not 'tasteful' and that will fall under personal preference. We all should accept that there are plenty of folks out there that will not align with our ideas of life, right, wrong and yes 'taste'.

I don't know where this mindset has come from in America, that we have a right to live in a bubble, and anyone that goes counter to our personal preferences/choices needs to be censored.

BTW I am not in any way questioning your not liking his humor, perfectly fine to state such.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-04, 07:35 AM   #47
OWA

Vampireuk...

Well, if that is the attitude, why are any threads closed? The people doing the flaming are definitely still interested in continuing and must be enjoying it to a certain extent so why are they denied that voice. If you don't want to see that, perhaps you/we/others can read another thread.

And why is it that if someone doesn't agree with your view they're not considered a sensible Christian. Seems a little narrow-minded to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Malficar, I agree with most of what you say but I really don't think the gaming forum is the proper place for this type humor, satire, etc. Like I mentioned, if it was in a political forum, religious forum or whatever it wouldn't bother me nearly as much. I don't really agree that it's okay to poke fun at people's beliefs or people through this type of medium though. There is too much lost in the translation so to speak. I believe in the right to do this sort of thing but I think it's very un-cool especially in this particular area. Basically, allowing this sort of thing really opens the door on a lot of other stuff that can be made light of and in the end, I think it just leads to trouble if others were to follow. Thanks for your response and for not just dismissing my views.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-04, 11:21 AM   #48
vampireuk
**** Holster

Quote:
Originally posted by OWA
Vampireuk...

Well, if that is the attitude, why are any threads closed? The people doing the flaming are definitely still interested in continuing and must be enjoying it to a certain extent so why are they denied that voice. If you don't want to see that, perhaps you/we/others can read another thread.

And why is it that if someone doesn't agree with your view they're not considered a sensible Christian. Seems a little narrow-minded to me.
Threads are closed because they decend into all out flaming and insults and become abusive. However the flaming and insults was coming from one side while Penguin simply brushed them off with humour. I merely deleted the offending posts, ironic which side they came from since apparently tolerance is high up on the list

Also it's my job to stop flaming, I can't simply turn my head away and ignore it, you can.

No it's not narrow minded, these are no doubt the people that were crying and screaming over the release of Dogma. There is nothing wrong or evil about this thread, the only people complaining are uptight fools who think its blashphemous to make fun out of Jesus.

Quote:
Basically, allowing this sort of thing really opens the door on a lot of other stuff that can be made light of and in the end, I think it just leads to trouble if others were to follow.
Like what? We have had people endorsing terrorist attacks and making jokes about terrorist attacks, those were deleted. I fail to see where a simply humerous thread about making a game about Jesus is going to take the world down the moral gutter. I have no problem with people poking fun at another persons beliefs as long as it is in good fun, like I said most people aside from the uptight prudes understand this and do not mind.

The thread stays.

Edit: Feel free to make your feelings about the thread known, as long as they are in a respectable manner, unlike taz and jediknight. I have no problems as long as people remain civil to each other.