Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-09-04, 11:53 AM   #1
brblueser

Default Mouse stops working from time to time

Hi all,

I don't know if someone else has experienced this. I am using Fedora with lates X RPMs (4.3.0-55), and latest NVidia driver (5336).

I've used this combination (X11 + nvidia) successfully in the past (RH [89]), and never had problems. Now, every once in a while my mouse (MS Intellimouse Wheel Optical plugged to PS/2 port on a A7N8-X Deluxe) simply stops working -- its optical device even shuts down (i.e. the light turns off). The rest of the system remains responsive, but lacking the mouse doesn't leave me much option besides CTRL+ATL+BACKSPACE, which usually makes me lose some work. Nothing appears on /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Restating X reactivates the mouse.

Last mouse-related entries on /var/XFree86.0.log are:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouse0" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

The relevant parts of XF86Config are:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
# InputDevice "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

# Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
# Identifier "DevInputMice"
# Driver "mouse"
# Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
# Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
# Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
# Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
# EndSection

gpm is turned off.

Any help will be appreciated.

TIA

Andre
brblueser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-04, 07:19 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

The other computer in the house runs Windows XP and it has an optical mouse, a Microsoft one actually. After a while, say an hour, the mouse doesn't move for a few moments. Very frustrating. I wouldn't want to be in the middle of a shooter game when that happens. I have experienced this with other optical mice. "The laser scans the surface X hundred times per second" - yeah right.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-04, 07:30 PM   #3
brblueser

But, are the symptoms the same? (like the laser turning off completely) Also, how long is "for a few moments"? Here I didn't wait more than 1min, but it really doesn't look like it's coming back...
Old 03-09-04, 08:29 PM   #4
moebius
GeForce ti4400

Send a message via ICQ to moebius Send a message via AIM to moebius

This happens to be occasionally with Mandrake (Mostly during the install process). Usually, I just unplug the mouse and plug it back in and it's fixed.
moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-04, 08:37 PM   #5
brblueser

Mmmh... this sounds cool, haven't thought about it. But, are you talking about USB or PS/2 mouse?
Old 03-09-04, 10:24 PM   #6
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally posted by brblueser
But, are the symptoms the same? (like the laser turning off completely) Also, how long is "for a few moments"? Here I didn't wait more than 1min, but it really doesn't look like it's coming back...
I wasn't looking to see if the red light went out completely, next time it happens to me I'll take a look. I was looking on the screen for a mouse pointer which wasn't moving so I couldn't find it. Press ctrl I guess for that (MS thing.) At most this inaction lasts for 5 seconds.
Old 03-10-04, 04:35 AM   #7
LinuxHatesMe

Quote:
Originally posted by whig
The other computer in the house runs Windows XP and it has an optical mouse, a Microsoft one actually. After a while, say an hour, the mouse doesn't move for a few moments. Very frustrating. I wouldn't want to be in the middle of a shooter game when that happens. I have experienced this with other optical mice. "The laser scans the surface X hundred times per second" - yeah right.

I've been having this issue and it's not distro specific. I've had it happen in Red Hat 9, Gentoo, and now FreeBSD. I use a logitech scrollmouse on the usb port. I noticed in tty1 that it couldn't find the device /dev/ums0 and it had disconnected. Pretty much all the info the X log gave me. I had this happen twice in XP but that was awhile ago and hasn't happened since. I'm borderlined on the thought of, bad mouse and need a new one or a misconfigured X config. As for the quote.. I've had it happen several times in the middle of a fps ( americas army / enemy territory ) and been kicked out of 2 servers because they thought I went afk all the sudden. .... the only work around I found so far was to reboot the entire system. Dropping out of X, ( ctrl, backspace, alt ) and starting X back doesn't help. I tried mod probing the device and it was unable to find it. Also note, my optical lights do turn off when I lose connectivity of the mouse. And this isn't a usb -only- issue.
LinuxHatesMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-04, 06:44 AM   #8
brblueser

I still have to collect more data, but it seems to be a Linux-only issue, at least on my case. Mouse stopped working again after a while (1-2h) on Linux, and I then rebooted to Windows and played Blackhawk Down for like 90min, and stayed on Windows after that. No mouse problems. Of course this single test doesn't mean much, I will be doing some more tests both on Linux and Windows.

I am now trying XFree86's own "nv" driver, to see if it is NVidia-related (looks like NVidia driver has its own event handler, and maybe this could be messing things up) BTW: anyone knows what this handler really manages? It appears on /var/log/XFree86.0.log like this:

(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DevInputMice" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type: Other)
(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

Old 03-10-04, 09:47 PM   #9
whig
550Ti

As we know, the Linux kernel has support for PS/2 mice, which can be provided as a module. In emergency you could rmmod the thing and then modprobe it back. There is a program for X which lets you bind keystrokes to commands/scripts. I forget what it is called. Maybe KDE/GNOME have their own ways of doing this. You have to pull a few tricks to make a script SUID root too.
Old 03-11-04, 07:32 AM   #10
brblueser

AFAICS PS/2 support cannot be compiled as a module, but general mouse support can, so this might work. Thks for the suggestion.

Anyway, even if this is a valid workaround, I would still like to be able to pinpoint the culprit here so that next versions of NVidia driver (or X11) could come with a fix (if, of course, this is not a hardware problem).
Old 03-11-04, 07:44 AM   #11
brblueser

Post Additional info

As part of my tests to pinpoint the cause of this 'mouse blues', I ran my system the whole day yesterday with "nv" driver instead of "nvidia", and didn't experience any mouse hangs (problem usually comes up after a couple hours of use). "nv" driver worked nice, except for GL support which was not enabled (GL libs were still NVidia's and were not recognized) and mouse cursors which kept switching for apparently no reason.

I then decided to downgrade NVidia driver to last stable version before 5336 (4996). When I tried to run UT2004 demo with it, it complained about no GLX support. I then googled around and found out that libs on /usr/X11R6/lib/tls were still the ones from Mesa (yes, I have XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-55
and XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-55 installed, but I thought NVidia installation script got rid of them). Removing /usr/X11R6/lib/usr/tls allowed me to play the game.

I don't know if Mesa's /usr/X11R6/lib/tls was there as the result of 5336 uninstall, and neither if wrong GL libs could cause problems with mice...

Anyway, I am giving 5336 another shot today -- this time I am pretty sure no /usr/X11R6/lib/tls is laying around. Let's see how this goes...

Stay tuned for further news. And, please contribute with anything you think might be useful -- specially NVidia developers.
Old 03-11-04, 03:22 PM   #12
Harvey Pooka

This happens to me occasionally on FreeBSD 4-STABLE. Switching to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and back (Alt-F4 in my case) fixes it.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote