Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-11-04, 05:55 PM   #1
dsg

Default My solution to the regular lockup problem

Hi.

I figured I'd post this, hopefully it'll help someone. I was having a problem I've seen some other people describe on the forum as well - X locking up. This happened mostly when something was scrolling on the screen, but generally any screen activity was enough.

The following solution worked for me (I suspect this will only work for people with VIA chipsets, but then I wouldn't be surprised if this was a VIA-specific problem): change the "AGP Drive Strength" option in your BIOS. DA seems to be stable (hasn't crashed yet, been running for 4 days now) on my FX5600XT. Seems a good value to start with, but likely it'll depend a lot on your card and motherboard.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone - and please do post your experiences, so we can see if this is a real solution, or if this only solves it for me.
dsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-04, 10:37 PM   #2
tamran

I tried that and it resulted in a hard lockup as soon as X starts. Also, I fiddled with a few other settings like EA through EE (as the NVIDIA readme suggests) to no avail.

It was something to try at least

Tamran
tamran is offline   Reply With Quote