Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-17-04, 10:28 AM   #13
bdw

JoseJX: I thought so too, but since you experienced the same problem, I don't think putting the nvidia on it's own IRQ will make a difference.

I did boot Linux 2.6.4 with the following kernel parameters:

acpi=off pci=biosirq pci=noacpi noapic

I was able to run the system for about 12 hours before the pci badness message occured.

I'm going to try again later on this afternoon when I boot without using the framebuffer. That has also been reported to help, I believe.

At it's core, I believe this to be an AGP related issue. nVidia has had trouble with Via AGP chipsets based on what I saw here.
bdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-04, 01:56 PM   #14
JoseJX
GeForce Ti4200

The problem is that I have an NForce2 board, so it's even a NVidia chipset. By all means, you'd think this configuration would work. I don't have apic or acpi compiled in and the pci=biosirq doesn't change anything. I think my problem is slightly different than what you're seeing because I only see the badness messages in Unreal 2k(3/4), which results in an unplayable game and lockups. Regular X usage seems fine. With my previous motherboard (a kt133a chipset) I got the pci_badness message repeatedly in my logs, but not any lockups that I can remember. The problem could be Via related, but that's certainly not the only cause.
JoseJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-04, 05:01 PM   #15
bdw

JoseJX: It's quite an interesting problem. Some folks don't have problems with regular X usuage, but I do. It'll lock up with the pci badness message. And it can't be AGP corruption either because I can play OpenGL based games on it and it won't freeze at all.

So, I may just do a formal bug report now. I'll bet you anything it's related to the use of the pci_search_bus function or something.
Old 03-18-04, 12:19 AM   #16
JoseJX
GeForce Ti4200

bdw: The thing is that EVERY other opengl program I've tried works just fine. Only UT2k3/4 seem to show this behavior. I think the pci_search_bus message is more of a symptom than the actual problem. I think it is called when the driver tries to reset the card after an error. If they had used the correct syscall, I'd still probably have problems, just no kernel messages about it.

On a side note, does anyone know of a good opengl test suite for linux? Maybe there's an opengl call UT2k3/4 is using that is causing my problems.
JoseJX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 12:53 AM   #17
ByteEnable

SpecView Performance 7.1.1 is an OpenGL benchmark (professional) that will run on Linux. Its a free download.

Byte
ByteEnable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-04, 03:07 AM   #18
bdw

JosieJX: There is a test program that you can use to test your OpenGL 3D acceleration, but I forget which XFree86 Package it's in at the moment.

Good point about the incorrect syscall being used. I wonder if this would still result in a freeze of X though. I always get those kernel messages right when X crashes.

I've knocked out the VESA framebuffer and I'm going to see what that does. I read that having it boot into a plain text screen with no bootsplash will make a difference. I hope it does...