Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-02, 05:31 PM   #1
elanthis
Always Annoyed

Unhappy xvideo crash

Using X4.2, nvidia drivers 3123, kernel 2.4.19, Athlon XP processor, GeForce3 Ti500 card. (I have mem=nopentium in bootup line, even tho I'm told 2.4.19 doesn't need it).

Everything works perfectly, except XVideo use sometimes crashes X. If it starts fine once, it will always start fine the rest of that X session. If I log out (and X is of course restarted), then possibly the next time I try XVideo it will cause a crash.

After XVideo causes a crash, logging back in immediately afterwards, it always works fine (and again, will work fine the rest of the session).

The situations above about "aways works fine afterwards" may just be luck. No guarantees.

Anyways, other than this, everything is fine - what can I do to fix this? Watching DVD's is a pita thanks to this. ~,^
Old 10-28-02, 03:02 PM   #2
chup

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem, but:

>> Everything works perfectly, except XVideo use sometimes crashes X. If it starts fine once,
>> it will always start fine the rest of that X session. If I log out (and X is of course
>> restarted), then possibly the next time I try XVideo it will cause a crash.

If i log out, without restarting X (i mean, without CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE), and relogging via XDM, it crashes as soon as i launch something using XVideo. (crash = quit the session, and drop me back into XDM). If i login again, it works fine. If i re-log out and re-log in, it crashes, and so on ..
The only way to get rid of that fscking problem is, if i log out, to restart the XServer with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. Then, re-login and launching mplayer or XawTV won't crash.

I forgot, my stuff:

TNT2, Debian 3.0 stable, drivers Nvidia 1.0-3123, kernel 2.4.18, XFree 4.1.0

Thank you!

Florian.
Old 10-28-02, 03:09 PM   #3
elanthis
Always Annoyed

Ah, this actually sounds like it may be how it's happening for me. I hadn't noticed an exact pattern, but this may well be the case. I'm not at home to try this and see, but I will tonight/tomorrow if I've time.
Old 10-29-02, 01:11 PM   #4
chup

Hi,

I wonder whether it could be a kernel mis-configuration. I should have tried with the Debian kernel package, without recompiling my own kernel.

Well, i really hope this problem will be fixed, 'cause it's damn annoying

Florian.
Old 10-29-02, 01:17 PM   #5
elanthis
Always Annoyed

Default debian kernel

My kernel is the stock debian kernel (for Athlon) and it fails; I'm thinking it's the driver itself. That or some weird instability elsewhere. I have done the mem=nopentium hack before (even tho 2.4.19 isn't supposed to need it), happens with or without. ::sigh::
Old 10-29-02, 07:12 PM   #6
chup

Well, i've tried with the 2960 drivers, from Nvidia, i have the same crash. I will try with even former drivers. But well, if i try with the 'nv' driver from XFree, i don't have any crash.

Damn!

Florian.