Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-02, 11:45 AM   #1
kromagg

Send a message via ICQ to kromagg
Default strange problem with latest linux drivers and GF4 Ti4600 (black screen)

Hi,
I am running XFree86 4.1.2 (I think it's that version, not able to check from here atm) under Debian3.0r0 woody. I installed the kernel module and glx driver (using the correct headers, I think) I edited my XF86Config-4 just like I'm supposed to (no load GLcore, no load dri, do load glx and set driver 'nvidia'). The modes r pretty standard (24 bit default with 1024x768 and lower).

now for the problem: I loaded the kernel module (which installed perfectly without complaining btw, though I had to install my kernel headers first, they weren't there yet). Anyway I do "startx" and my screen flashes a little bit and then goes completely black. The screen is still on at that time and it doesn't give any errors (like "no signal" or something like that), so it should still be working. But I can't do anything any more at that point. can't even switch to console (ctrl-alt-f1). Only things that work are rebooting and shutting down ,but if I do ctrl-alt-backspace it doesn't shut down just my xserver but the power of my pc directly, which seems strange.

So I checked the log files (dumped them to a file) and they didn't contain any error notices. My card is detected in the proces: (something like) (--) Geforce 4 Ti 4600 detected). And the kernel modules determines the correct modes and stuff like that.

Everything seems to work and be set up properly, only thing is all I get is a black screen. Is this a known problem or am I a first?
kromagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-02, 11:28 PM   #2
TwinGears

Send a message via ICQ to TwinGears
Default GeForce 4 cards

I have done this a few time on TNT's and GeForces and the like...I don't remember haveing to REM out three lines...I could be wrong.

One difference with the GeForce4 card like the one you talk about. It set up different like you say, I notice that you need to tell it it's in 16 bit rather than 24 like normal to get to 32.
some how the GeForce needs 16 with the Xserver then things are cool.
I have not a clue how or why but after a few years of this I find it strange that the GeForce4 is different and that's how I got around it....

good luck man
Old 10-27-02, 07:14 AM   #3
kromagg

Send a message via ICQ to kromagg

I'll try that, thanks. Only had to remove 2 lines though (the same that are said in the readme) and add one.
kromagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-02, 07:41 AM   #4
bwkaz

Can you post that log file that you captured?

Or the real one, that would work too. /var/log/XFree86.0.log
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-02, 10:47 AM   #5
TwinGears

Default my file

Where the Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS (generic)"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubsection

EndSection

I attached the whole file but with my card as an example. The machine I work on with the Ti4600 is not available at this time, maybe in a few weeks. The only difference you really need to attend is the.
DefaultDepth of 24 for most GeForce cards would be changed to
DefaultDepth 16
if you try 24 you will kill the Xserver then you have to do everything blind folded or remotely on a network shelled in. I feel you have experenced this fustration already so good luck eh.

Sorry I had to delete the attachment. It would not let me upload it....?
Old 10-27-02, 11:23 AM   #6
bwkaz

Default Re: my file

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinGears
the DefaultDepth of 24 for most GeForce cards would be changed to DefaultDepth 16
if you try 24 you will kill the Xserver then you have to do everything blind folded or remotely on a network shelled in.
That's funny. Because I have never had that problem, with either my GF2 GTS (the 32MB one), or my GF4 Ti 4200. I run them both in 24-bit color depth all day long.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-02, 09:13 PM   #7
TwinGears

Default true

You right, I have installed pretty much every thing they have made over the years. I found only that card to be picky about the script.
If it is set for 16 it will actually run in 32bit...haven't a clue why actually.

I will be happy to game on a Radeon in Linux after the new year. After spending a grand on the worlds fastest video card when the GeForce2 Ultra came out things were cool for a while.
After I learned how to install the video drivers I kind of lost my flavor for the cards. Heck the card had to run for many years just to pay for it self and it's still running like a charm. go fiqure - I have seen many cheap Ultra's die since then so I really can't complain on that end.
Old 10-29-02, 12:31 PM   #8
ikke

Default black screen

Hi,

I've the same problem, but I can switch with ctrl-alt-f[1-6]. I've posted my info/problem with following thread ID: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3103#post33103

grz
ikke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-02, 03:56 PM   #9
kairo692000

I had a similar problem with the Ti4600, but mine was related to AGP
or the lack thereof. Apparently the SiS651 chipset did not like using
no AGP acceleration. When I turned it on, everything was great.
kairo692000 is offline   Reply With Quote