Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-16-04, 03:10 PM   #1
Benutzername

Default 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 (4KSTACK)

hi!

does anybody know how to use the nvidia driver with the 4KSTACK option in kernel? since 2.6.5-rc1-mm1 there is no way to disable this options, so i would be pleased if somebody can help me how to get working the drivers, or maybe nvidia driver developers can release such a new version to support 4k stacks?

greets benutzername
Benutzername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-04, 08:13 PM   #2
cacruden

Yep, sorta stuck with current stock releases of Fedora Core 2 as well until this if fixed

It would be nice to know someone was working on it.... but no info seems to be available on that effect
cacruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-04, 11:43 PM   #3
floam

You can just reverse 4k-stacks-always-on.patch...
floam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-04, 04:32 AM   #4
tjikkun

I hope there will be a new driver for this soon as well. Or some other solution. And maybe you could just reverse the patch, but somehow I have this feeling they had a reason for always turning it on..
Right now I get a black screen with the nvidia drivers, so I will just have to wait for a solution before I can have 3d acceleration again.
Is there anybody from NVIDIA that knows how long it will take?
In this thread it is mentioned that the fix should come from NVIDIA
tjikkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-04, 09:16 AM   #5
cacruden

Quote:
Originally posted by floam
You can just reverse 4k-stacks-always-on.patch...
Hmmm, that will be good for the future of NVIDIA and Linux.... If you want to use OUR card, you will have to recompile the kernel and not use the stock kernel distributions.....

In that case... so much for NVIDIA being the card of choice for Linux.
Old 03-17-04, 01:57 PM   #6
floam

Guys:
Quote:
+4k-stacks-always-on.patch

Permanently enable 4k stacks on ia32 (for increased test coverage)
This is not forever, they're just forcing it on people for the time being to test 4k stacks versus 8k kernel stacks. Soon it'll be like it was in 2.6.4-mm2, an unreccomended option in the "Kernel Hacking" menu. Settle down, if you're using and -mm you should be prepared to take extra steps to make sure things work. You will NEVER see this on in stock distributions.
Old 03-17-04, 02:15 PM   #7
cacruden

Quote:
Originally posted by floam
Guys:

This is not forever, they're just forcing it on people for the time being to test 4k stacks versus 8k kernel stacks. Soon it'll be like it was in 2.6.4-mm2, an unreccomended option in the "Kernel Hacking" menu. Settle down, if you're using and -mm you should be prepared to take extra steps to make sure things work. You will NEVER see this on in stock distributions.
I am not complaining about it with 2.6.4-mm2, I am talking about the beta "stock" kernels from anything after 2.6.3 on for Fedora Core 2 distributions (.118 on). If it was an unrecommended (i.e. soon to be removed option), then I doubt that they would be worried about testing it for Fedora Core 2 unless it is going to be changed from (unrecommended) to a valid option.

It sounds to me like -- if you want to use our cards THEN this is the way you have to configure the rest of the system.... And of course you will end up with another driver going in a different direction.....

why not just fix it so it works either way ?
Old 03-17-04, 05:11 PM   #8
floam

So what? You also need to compile your kernel with MTRR support, but no one is crying about that. 4K Kernel stacks aren't even smart for desktop system anyways.

Old 03-17-04, 05:23 PM   #9
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

2.6.5-rc1-mm1....

If you are going to use and test a kernel this bleeding edge be prepared for the binary distributed closed-source driver to lag behind slightly. I am not in the least surprised that there would be some problems with this, the nVIDIA driver only released with 2.6 support in the most recent version. If this becomes a standard way to configure kernels I am sure that nVIDIA will be working on why there are problems with it... they may in fact already know or have fixed it. This is life with a closed driver. In the meantime recompile the kernel-source RPMs without it and you should be fine.

Wouldn't some actual compilation failure output be useful?
Old 03-17-04, 05:27 PM   #10
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by cacruden
beta "stock" kernels from anything after 2.6.3 on for Fedora Core 2 distributions
FC2 doesn't exist yet, you are in fact describing bleeding edge development.
Quote:
Originally posted by cacruden
It sounds to me like -- if you want to use our cards THEN this is the way you have to configure the rest of the system.... And of course you will end up with another driver going in a different direction.....

why not just fix it so it works either way ? [/b]
Are you seriously asking nVIDIA to release drivers that will work with a moving target development that has updated the kernel several times a week for the last month? Fix it yes, I expect them to. Later, when IT has been decided on...