Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-15-02, 11:30 PM   #1
koneill

Default 9700 Pro w/DDRII on TechTV

Can't remember his name, but an ATI rep was on TechTV tonite showing off a 9700 pro with DDRII memory clocked "much higher than DDR," whatever that means. still, that they have a card that's actually working (they had one in a machine running demos) is pretty interesting. could they be on track to snuff an NV30 launch?

hmmm....
koneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-02, 11:39 PM   #2
ATI LoVeR 9700

Default Re: 9700 Pro w/DDRII on TechTV

Quote:
Originally posted by koneill
Can't remember his name, but an ATI rep was on TechTV tonite showing off a 9700 pro with DDRII memory clocked "much higher than DDR," whatever that means. still, that they have a card that's actually working (they had one in a machine running demos) is pretty interesting. could they be on track to snuff an NV30 launch?

hmmm....
I thought ATi was going to GDDR-3 and skipping DDRII.

Last edited by ATI LoVeR 9700; 10-15-02 at 11:44 PM.
ATI LoVeR 9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 12:09 AM   #3
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

probably just testing it out...getting some good PR as well...but I think we're closer to DDR2 than anything else...
Old 10-16-02, 01:53 PM   #4
Mono
wtf?

ah man, I thought I was cool with 20gigs of bandwidth, now there gana be breaking 30/40.

O well, just means my next upgrade will be THAT much better.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 05:03 PM   #5
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Talking

Wow, I was just about to post about this and found this thread. Great job ATI! If I don't see anything from nVIDIA in November(DDR-2, 256bit mem, at least 400 Mhz engine, Fixed AF) then I will switch over to ATI. ATI really has their act together and that demo on The Screensavers yesterday was awesome. It showed that ATI already has the DDR-2 tech worked out and could release a DDR-2 card right now and would probably be on par or faster than NV30. Those examples they had were sweet, really changed my mind about nVIDIA. So if I don't see anything from nVIDIA soon, farewell to them.

Last edited by LORD-eX-Bu; 10-16-02 at 05:08 PM.
LORD-eX-Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 07:46 PM   #6
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

for rill..nvidia has been really slow and quiet lately..they gotta release something, ati is getting stronger and stronger every day.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-02, 10:07 PM   #7
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by thcdru2k
for rill..nvidia has been really slow and quiet lately..they gotta release something, ati is getting stronger and stronger every day.
it's pretty clear at this point that they won't be releasing anything until after NV30. no GF4 Ultra, and apparently no mainstream DX8 card

oh well, even nvidia drops the ball sometimes. i'll be looking forward to what they do after this debacle and how they respond to the challenge of ATI's future products.
Old 10-17-02, 12:45 AM   #8
Rogozhin

Stealth

I know you couldn't figure out how to run your 8500 but jeez man, the 9700 is whipping nvidia's asz. If they release a radeon 9900 with DDR II and higher clock speeds, at the same time or before the nv30 is released, then you are simply out of excuses for NOT buying a new ati product. The driver issue is not longer an issue.

"oh well, even nvidia drops the ball sometimes. i'll be looking forward to what they do after this debacle and how they respond to the challenge of ATI's future products"

I would be worried about how they are going to respond to to the challenge of ATI's contemporary products!

Rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-02, 04:19 AM   #9
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogozhin
Stealth

I know you couldn't figure out how to run your 8500 but jeez man, the 9700 is whipping nvidia's asz. If they release a radeon 9900 with DDR II and higher clock speeds, at the same time or before the nv30 is released, then you are simply out of excuses for NOT buying a new ati product. The driver issue is not longer an issue.
not sure what you mean there, i never owned a R8500. as i have expressed elsewhere, i don't believe this "9900" will be out at the same time as NV30. we'll see though. what excuses? i didn't make any attacks towards ATI in my post nowhere did i ever say that the R9700Pro wasn't a good product, in this thread or in any other AFAIR. quite frankly my GF3 is performing well enough for my needs, and i'm not going to upgrade until Doom 3 is out the door. at that time, i'll gobble up whatever is out there for a reasonable price. whichever company provides a better solution will get my business.

Quote:
I would be worried about how they are going to respond to to the challenge of ATI's contemporary products!
AFAIC nvidia lost this round for the reasons i specified above. i'm more interested in what they do post NV30, with a refresh for the high end, and with midrange solutions, and even what will be their next mainstream card. at this point i'm assuming that the only card we'll be seeing from nvidia from now till the end of the year will be NV30(one variety highend only)

edit: actually i was mistaken. there is one game where i feel my graphics card just isn't cutting it, and that's in Tenebrae. but i feel that's more of a system on the whole thing. however it would be grossly wasteful to upgrade just because one lousy mod doesn't get great framerates IMO. like i said in another thread, i'm sure either the R9700Pro or R9700 will be $200 or under by the time Doom 3 is out.