Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-02, 03:24 PM   #13
Linewbie

Question hrmmm #3.... lol I label my hrmmm's!

'fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface CD-ROM device with major ID 11 not supported'

This is obviously a CD-ROM message.. however why should it effect me if I am just opening notepad with 'wine notepad' then blam comes this error

"fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface CD-ROM device with major ID 11 not supported
wine: cannot find 'notepad' "

I have an IDE cdrom, so therefor I know linux uses 'Scuzzy' emulation on the cdrom... But how could this effect my opening of notepad. This is very weird to me indeed, but it seems wine ceases to function opening anything, and the anoying thing is, I DONT KNOW WHY!!!

ahhh the pleasures of being a noob.... lol
Linewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 07:08 PM   #14
bwkaz

The "CD-ROM device with major ID 11 not supported" message is indeed because you use SCSI emulation on your CD-ROM. It's really no big deal (at least, it shouldn't be... I haven't tried any CD access, like installing HL, since I started getting it... maybe I should).

The "cannot find notepad" message is because in order to launch notepad, you can't just type "wine notepad". Wine doesn't know about a Windows path (so it doesn't know where to look for files to execute), and it also doesn't know that it should add .exe to the end of files to execute. You have to manually cd into the directory that holds notepad.exe (which on my setup is /mnt/windows/windows, the equivalent of C:\Windows), and run wine notepad.exe to run it.

I'll try setting up HL again tonight, to see what's going on.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-02, 09:31 PM   #15
Linewbie

Cool hrmmm #4, lol

I use a program called winesetuptk to setup my wine config file, that is located under /home/____/.wine I wonder if this has anything to do with it... probably not, but it seemed to 'autodetect' everything just fine. Man this is annoying, especially because I was just over my friends house playing CS, and then my other friends watching him play... ITS TORTURE lol. Honestly I probably wouldn't bother with the whole upcoming WineX scene if I had a better vidcard, and could run UT2003 better... UT2003 rocks, and I would probably forget about CS, but CS is becoming a 'classic' I thought Valve was doing a linux port of HL, but alas it is not true. My system is quite up to par for UT2003, except for the extreme bottlenecking of my Geforce 2 mx 200 PCI 64 SDRAM, sigh...

My specs are as follows:

Athlon XP 2200
512 'Generic' DDR
Geforce 2 mx 200 PCI 64 MB SDRAM
ECS K7S5A MOBO (Elitegroup owns...)
SBlive!
250 watt killer Panasonic bookshelf system w/ built in 6' cone woofers, tweeter, and regular speaker.
Skyhawk Alu. Case
27 gig Quantum HDD (5200 rpm, now that I moved to linux when I hear rpm, well nvmind lol)
4x Oldskool CD/RW drive (Some HP brand...)
I have the setup of a gamer, except the vidcard... and yet the OS of others.

However just because I get my ocasional feelings of wanting to injure someone, as the feeling of you are truly cappin some nappy mofo in CS... Once wrestling season starts my feelings of this will dissapate at least slighty... I am sure of this! And I will probably be more busy, and not think about playing my traditional 'CS.' But that does not mean that I am going to dual-boot my sys to winblo's XP 'coorperate edition' (If you know what I mean... hehe) Just to play CS. In the meantime I am determined to get this to work, and as usual if all else fails try harder. And if that doesn't work, keep trying. If that fails then devote more time, more effort, and try EVEN harder. And if that doesn't work, by the time your done you will probably be pretty old, and ready to die, so basically ummm.
Old 10-09-02, 07:07 PM   #16
Linewbie

Talking ONE STEP CLOSER!!!

Good, now I got WineX working, and CS installed. It's patched up to 1.5, the newest version. I can run it in 512x__ res only. When I select OpenGL it says 'The selected mode is not supported by your card' I got this far before, but ummm what do I do now? Chromium B.S.U works fine, and glx gears gives me more than decent FPS.. How can I fix this? Thx for stickin with me bk, u have helped me a lot. Now All I need is one more thing. I can taste CS, lol... I already played the training mission in 512x__ software rendering, but I need the OpenGl. Please help, and thx for helping me in the past!
Old 10-09-02, 07:25 PM   #17
Linewbie

Default I found the problem...

It looks like I am going to have to 'make uninstall' and reinstall WineX again, or the like... Check it out, this was taken from the official LHL (Linux Half Life) HOWTO

3.2.6. The supported OpenGL mode is not supported by your video card

This is a problem with WINE linking to the correct OpenGL drivers.. firstly make sure OpenGL is compiled into WINE (check out the output of ./configure manually). Most of the time you will have to find whether WINE is linking the wrong .so's and .a's. This URL is very helpful: http://wine.screenweavers.com/cgi-bin/fom?file=139

First, let's make sure OpenGL is working on your system. We will run the glxinfo utility as shown below. The output is from my Nvidia Geforce2Go based system:

$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info,
GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync,
GLX_SGIX_swap_group, GLX_SGIX_swap_barrier, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GLX extensions:
GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce2 MX/AGP/SSE
OpenGL version string: 1.3.1 NVIDIA 31.23
OpenGL extensions:
GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_compression,
GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_S3_s3tc, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra,
GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array,
GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays,
GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_paletted_texture, GL_EXT_point_parameters,
GL_EXT_rescale_normal, GL_EXT_secondary_color,
GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette,
GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc,
GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic,
GL_EXT_texture_lod, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_object,
GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_vertex_weighting,
GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_KTX_buffer_region, GL_NV_blend_square,
GL_NV_evaluators, GL_NV_fence, GL_NV_fog_distance,
GL_NV_light_max_exponent, GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil,
GL_NV_register_combiners, GL_NV_texgen_emboss, GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, GL_NV_texture_rectangle,
GL_NV_vertex_array_range, GL_NV_vertex_array_range2, GL_NV_vertex_program,
GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, GL_SGIS_multitexture,
GL_SGIS_texture_lod
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

visual x bf lv rg d st colorbuffer ax dp st accumbuffer ms cav
id dep cl sp sz l ci b ro r g b a bf th cl r g b a ns b eat
----------------------------------------------------------------------
0x21 16 tc 0 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x22 16 dc 0 16 0 r y . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x23 16 tc 0 16 0 r . . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None
0x24 16 dc 0 16 0 r . . 5 6 5 0 0 16 0 16 16 16 16 0 0 None

If you have a different Nvidia card, or use the DRI drivers, your output may be different. The important thing here is that GLX is up and running so as long as you don't see any error messages, things should work. One important line is "direct rendering: Yes". If this says "No", you are running software OpenGL and things will be very slow, so please figure out what's wrong and get that direct rendering working before continuing.

Now let's test a native OpenGL game and make sure it runs smoothly. I recommend either Quake3 or UT2003. Assuming these run with acceptable performance, continue on. If they are slow and jumpy, Halflife probably will be as well so fix the problem before proceeding.

Find where WINE put you libopengl32.so (This is the WINE OpenGL support library. Mine is in /usr/local/lib). Then what you need to do it:

$ ldd libopengl32.so

The output should be similar to the following for an NVidia card:

libx11drv.so => /usr/local/lib/libx11drv.so (0x4004a000)
libkernel32.so => /usr/local/lib/libkernel32.so (0x40099000)
libwine.so => /usr/local/lib/libwine.so (0x40113000)
libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40137000)
libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40177000)
libutil.so.1 => /lib/libutil.so.1 (0x40195000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40198000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4019b000)
libuser32.so => /usr/local/lib/libuser32.so (0x402aa000)
libgdi32.so => /usr/local/lib/libgdi32.so (0x4037b000)
libwine_tsx11.so => /usr/local/lib/libwine_tsx11.so (0x403e7000)
libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x403f4000)
libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x403fd000)
libXpm.so.4 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 (0x40413000)
libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x40421000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x40458000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x40466000)
libntdll.so => /usr/local/lib/libntdll.so (0x40540000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x2aaaa000)
libGLcore.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1 (0x40637000)
libwine_unicode.so => /usr/local/lib/libwine_unicode.so (0x40842000)

The most important lines are libGL.so.1 and libGLcore.so.1. Be sure it is pointing to the proper NVidia libGL.so.1 and libGLcore.so.1. To check this, go into their directory (in this case /usr/lib/) and:

# ls -l libGL*

Look for something like:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 17 09:33 libGL.so -> libGL.so.1.0.769
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Mar 17 09:33 libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.0.769
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 218388 Mar 17 09:33 libGL.so.1.0.769
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 17 02:17 libGLU.so -> libGLU.so.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Mar 17 02:16 libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 487348 Feb 21 21:13 libGLU.so.1.3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar 17 09:33 libGLcore.so.1 -> libGLcore.so.1.0.769
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2075568 Mar 17 09:33 libGLcore.so.1.0.769
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26168 Feb 21 21:13 libGLw.a

Notice libGL.so.1 is a symlink to libGL.so.1.0.769 and same for libGLcore.so.1 (which are the proper libs for 0.9-769 NVidia drivers). If you have anything else, it is probably traces of Mesa sitting around, which will cause it to NOT WORK. Get rid of them and run ldconfig again.

There is also a chance that your library path may not be properly set. If so, edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add a line to the path of your libopengl32.so.

Guess what I tried
'ldd libopengl32.so' and then blank I was back at BASH, nothing showed up.

So I tried 'updatedb' Then 'locate libopengl32.so' Bam no finds at all. WineX didn't even build with OpenGL support, WTF is going on??? Maybe I should get to './configure' and then check out the line that is commented out something like '# OPENGL' when it should be something like 'OPENGL 1' for true. I forgot what file it is, but it's all at the official LHL.
http://lhl.linuxgames.com/howto/half...HOWTO-0.5.html

Thats the most updated link also... Man this is pissing me off! Why wouldn't WineX be building with OpenGL support? The file with the line that I found commented out was probably why, but then when I './configure --enable-opengl' and 'make depend' and 'make' and then 'make install' I got errors when trying to even open the CS installer file, from the CD-R that its on...

Does it have something to do with 'make depend && make' having to be in the same line? Because before I just did 'make depend' enter 'make' enter, and 'make install' GRRR... I wanna get to the bottom of this! I think if that's not it (Which it probably isn't) that I should delete the # from the commented out opengl section of the ___.so file. and then './configure' instead of './configure --enable-opengl' These are my idea's, of course I am a noob, but please help me guys!!! Thx again everybodies.
Old 10-09-02, 08:13 PM   #18
bwkaz

Don't edit .so files! They're usually binaries, not text (although some libc.so's are just text files telling the loader to go look somewhere else for glibc, but they're the exception).

You didn't pass --enable-opengl to ./configure? Try doing that. You shouldn't need to make uninstall, just make distclean, then ./configure --help (to check for other interesting options you might want to enable), then ./configure --enable-opengl <any other options you want>.

You are right, having make depend and make on different lines is no big deal. The shell "&&" construct tells the shell to execute the second command only if the first succeeds, which is what you effectively did anyway. My guess is that you need to pass --enable-opengl.

Also, check the output of the configure script manually -- if it says something about "warning!!! you are explicitly linking against a thread-safe OpenGL!" or similar, then try replacing your /usr/include/GL/gl.h, /usr/include/GL/glx.h, and /usr/include/GL/glxtokens.h with the corresponding files from the NVIDIA_GLX package -- they will have been installed in /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL, so just copy them from there to /usr/include/GL (but rename the others first!).

If you don't have a /usr/include/GL directory, then use /usr/X11R6/include/GL instead.

Once you get the "thread-safe OpenGL" message to go away, you should be all right. make depend all install should build the dependencies, then the full wine binary, then install it, in order.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-02, 08:16 PM   #19
Linewbie

Thumbs up I think I pinpointed it!

Ok from the LHL i d/l'd a script to check if everything is ok for WineX OpenGL games. I figured everything was ok, because I could run Chromium B.S.U. and 'glxgears' However when I ran this I got ok's for everything except for the following...

Everything seems fine in your X config file. This is not 100%
guaranteed to be accurate, but lets continue anyway (press enter)...

The next step involves making sure you have the proper files in
the right places, and that the kernel module loaded correctly.
Press enter to begin the test.

First lets make sure you don't have the old modules still present
by mistake...
Checking /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a...
Checking /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a...
You don't appear to have any conflicting older drivers. Now lets check
if the new driver files are in place...
Checking /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o...
Checking /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so...
Checking /usr/lib/libGL.so...
Your libGL.so file is missing! Please get this file from the
NVIDIA_GLX package, and install it as indicated in the FAQ, then
run this script again.

Hrmmm I have a big WTF for this libGL.so missing file... I redownloaded the NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm I tried an 'rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX*' Stupid me, it says they are installed so time for an 'rpm -Uvh NVIDIA_GLX*' ok so it gives me that it's already installed... ok Being the noob that I am I issued these stupid commands... What can I do to get my 'libGL.so' file??? I need that badboy obviously to build from the WineX cvs properly, and to play CS! O what shall this noob do?
Old 10-09-02, 09:53 PM   #20
Linewbie

Thumbs up I GOT IT!!!

I DID IT!!! CS IS RUNNING!!!

Plus I just owned some Canadians!! lol jk br0's. We all know some of the best Gamers come from Canada, and thats the TRUTH!

When I ran the script, it informed me the libgl.so file wasn't there. Obviously the first thing that came out of my mouth was WTF!!! Then I just red/l'd the GLX, and installed the rpm, by removing the old one first. I ran the script and it said everything was A-ok. I did 'make uninstall' and './configure --enable-opengl'. When I went into the include directory, I found that when I edited the config.h file with emacs, the OPENGL line wasn't commented out. I thought theres a hint.... So I proceded with building from CVS, then went into the cs directory 'wine cstrike.exe' See's a bunch of stuff, that didn't come up before... enables OpenGl 800x600, clicks on training... SMILES... and the rest is history. Lets just say right now this is one VERY EXTREMELY SUPER-DUPER THX FOR ASKING, happy noob sitting down. lol jk bout the thx for asking, but I am smiling right now, as I just played a game and as I said owned some Canadians!~!~! When I got out one of my fav. weapons, the CT most expensive sniper weapon... then got 2 of the peeps. Ahhh the memories. THX for helping me along this way bwkaz!!! you seriously ruled! You did not ever give up on me, nor not believe in my noob ass! I have seen you help so many people in the past, and you helped me too! I am so happy, and thank you sooo much for all of your help! You saved a linux-life! Honestly I was secretly contemplating in the back of my head "Maybe I should go back to the darkside (M$), maybe I should just stick to windows..." Then after all you have helped me through, I kept saying to myself "NO!, if you go back, I will kick the crap out of you!" I just kept at it, and eventually this n00bie-noob-of-noobinessj-nubsters got it. YOU PUSHED ME AND HELPED ME THROUGH THIS ANNOYING AS F*CK EXPERIANCE!!! Thanks so much bk, as I said...

YOU SAVED MY LINUX LIFE!

Last edited by Linewbie; 10-09-02 at 09:58 PM.

Old 10-09-02, 09:58 PM   #21
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

just install the GLX tar.gz, maybe they left the
correct symlink out of the rpm....

or make a symlik like this one:

ls /usr/lib/libGL.so -la
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17 Oct 9 23:33 /usr/lib/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1.0.3123

cd to /usr/lib
and issue: ln -s libGL.so.1.0.3123 libGL.so

do ls -la libGL.so and maybe a ldd libGL.so
if there is some output, it should be okay.

after that you can recompile winex.

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote